Author Topic: Depressing insurance news  (Read 30095 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Depressing insurance news
« on: January 29, 2024, 07:50:09 AM »
Bad news for Mk1 Jazz owners:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/jan/29/how-can-my-old-honda-jazz-be-too-high-risk-to-insure
"Just before Christmas I received a letter from LV= informing me it would not renew the insurance on my Honda Jazz because of the risk of it being stolen ..."
...and ...
"The insurer says although a Honda Jazz may not seem high risk, the number of claims for catalytic converter thefts has risen by 52% in the past three years ... It is not a blanket decision on the brand: only Honda Jazz SE models, made between 2001 and 2008, are affected because of the type of catalytic converter they have."

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Depressing insurance news
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 12:32:20 PM »
Yeah that's not good new at all.

I wonder if LV would reverse their decision if an approved cat clamp or guard were fitted? Much like in the 80's/90's insurers would only cover your hot hatch if you had security that was upgraded from manufactures standard to an approved Cobra alarm or similar.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 01:31:14 PM »
Typical insurers, bale out when it suits them.

Now how does one respond to the question "have you ever had insurance refused or special terms imposed"?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 01:33:21 PM by Wilmo »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 03:21:17 PM »

Now how does one respond to the question "have you ever had insurance refused or special terms imposed"?
No problem with that as you are not having insurance refused, it's the car that is the problem.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 04:36:53 PM »
im with direct line and yes last year they tried to hype my policy up bu about £250 rise . i rang them up blurting out its a joke. they reduced that rise with just over £150 off. so it does pay to moan lol

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 06:34:08 PM »
You should all read this:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/cars/honda-jazz-se-lv-insurance-catalytic-converter-spate-thefts/
"The humble Honda Jazz is becoming uninsurable following a spate of thefts which has increased the risks of providing cover.
Drivers of the car have been denied cover by the provider LV= following a sharp spike in catalytic converter thefts which has made theft too costly to insure.
The insurer said it has made the “difficult decision” to stop offering quotes to drivers of the SE model made between 2001 and 2008.
It said the model had become a particular target of thieves looking to steal valuable parts."

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 07:29:57 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bills/cars/honda-jazz-se-lv-insurance-catalytic-converter-spate-thefts/
"The humble Honda Jazz is becoming uninsurable following a spate of thefts which has increased the risks of providing cover.
Drivers of the car have been denied cover by the provider LV= following a sharp spike in catalytic converter thefts which has made theft too costly to insure.
The insurer said it has made the “difficult decision” to stop offering quotes to drivers of the SE model made between 2001 and 2008.
It said the model had become a particular target of thieves looking to steal valuable parts."

That particular article seems to be behind a paywall so not easily accessible. The only bit that is visible misleadingly shows the wrong car. Presumably though it's the same content as in the first post in this thread.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 07:31:50 PM »

That particular article seems to be behind a paywall so not easily accessible. The only bit that is visible misleadingly shows the wrong car. Presumably though it's the same content as in the first post in this thread.
You do need to be a subscriber and yes it is effectively the same article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c.lday44

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSi
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 12:05:26 AM »
Really hope this doesn't screw me over - 2007 Jazz SE as a new driver!!! It's already bad enough with prices. I'm going to a Mazda2, 3 or Volvo C30 if I can't get reasonably insured come November.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 12:36:20 AM »
LV are no longer the company if the past, always hunt around when faced with renewal hikes.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 07:14:14 AM »

No problem with that as you are not having insurance refused, it's the car that is the problem.

Yes it is as you are being insured not the car. So you are being refused insurance because you own that car.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »
Yes it is as you are being insured not the car. So you are being refused insurance because you own that car.
I can see where you're coming from, but UKjim is correct. It wouldn't count as being refused for insurance. It is merely an underwriter declining to cover a particular risk. The risk is being declined because it is not something the insurer covers, not the person being refused.

There are all manner of things insurers refuse to cover. Car types, postcode areas, driving history, occupations etc etc. None of those would count as an individual being refused cover, just an insurer declining a risk. Much like Saga only cover people over 50. Using your logic, everyone under 50 has had insurance refused by Saga? 

Either way, it's a real shame if this does put the nail in the coffin of a lot of mk1 Jazz. They're getting thin on the ground as it is, without insurance problems.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 04:26:22 PM »
My son drives my 2005 SE. His insurance is due next week. They have increased it by £12. I was stunned as I had warned him he might face a big increase. But then it is written off already and only covered for 3rd party, fire and theft.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 08:12:46 PM »
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 09:32:21 PM »
I just did a CompTheMeerkat search and got prices from £120, cf ~£150 last renewal.  57 plate Jazz SE so deffo the model splattered all over the press.  Last insurance was with LV though, needless to say they didn’t show up. 

Academic as sold the car at the end of last week.  :D

Tags: