Author Topic: 2009 mk II lifespan  (Read 1585 times)

PedrosCaravan

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Looking to buy first car, Jazz is my first choice and instructors car
2009 mk II lifespan
« on: December 02, 2021, 11:06:13 PM »
Hello there, new here and a new driver. I am finally learning to drive around 25 lessons in at 30. I have been learning in a Honda Jazz and am very happy and comfortable in it and have been looking to buy one as my first car.

Due to the market going bananas and my budget being about 4k and a pack of pogs I am looking at mostly between 2009-2012 and a Jazz has cropped up in my price range. Fairly low miles and such but I was hesitant due to the age of the car. Would a 2009 1.4 petrol Jazz still have a few good years left in her? Especially as a first car?

Thanks
PC

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: 2009 mk II lifespan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 12:35:25 AM »
Should be fine but get any car checked out beforehand. We run a 2005 model and it is bulletproof, apart from the bodywork around the rear wheel arch, which is a classic Mk1 Jazz rust spot. There used to be a couple of Driving Instructors on here running the Jazz and some of those had high mileage. Our Mk1 has 140,000 miles on it so far and is now doing service as a van for my lad, for his tiling business.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
I run a 2009 Esi i-shift and has now done 113000 miles  new clutch and i-shift actuator has been replaced. Minor replacement were a New steering wheel rim, rear brake caliper and a front window switch has been changed. Otherwise totally reliable. However make sure the car has been serviced annually. It should give you lots of mileage.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 06:40:21 AM »
Yesss, it will have years left in it. No fear.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 06:59:33 AM »
Based on what I have red in this forum I would have a look at Mk1 (GD) with 1.3 i-DSi (marketed as 1.4) and manual transmission. This engine has reputation to provide nice low end torque, which makes driving on urban areas more effortless.

If you end to Mk2 (GE) I'd suggest looking for manual low-spec pre-facelift models, as they have less annoying electric features. 1.3-liter i-VTEC engine has more power but not as nice low-end torque as i-DSi.

No matter what model you end up to, try to find a car with no rust and with good history, even if the mileage is higher. Personally I would take time and wait until the real gem appears. Something like first owner, no rust, low mileage, good MOT history and complete service history. If the 2009 Jazz you found is such, get it checked and if nothing worrying appears buy it before someone else does. It'll be a reliable car for you for many many years. Just make every effort to prevent rust.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:16:27 AM by TnTkr »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »
The short answer is yes, it should be good for quite a few years.

Having just had a look on AutoTrader at prices here in West Yorkshire I can see what you mean. Prices are high, but drop a lot with higher mileage. I've got a Mk1 2008 with nearly 140k miles on it. The problems I've had are mostly with the brakes and are down to corrosion which I think are due to years rather than miles. So my feeling is you'd be more likely to get trouble free years from a younger, higher mileage car than an older low mileage one. It seems the Jazz buying public tend not to agree.

I think the comments about the engine are a matter of personal tastes. I've test driven a 1.4 iVTEC on familiar roads and my impression was it had the same low speed pull then at higher speed it had a lot more go. A neighbour who swapped from a 1.4 Mk1 to a 1.2 Mk2 said it was a better car all round, except it felt gutless.

By the way I heard recently here that good buys in older Jazzes are to be had on Facebook.

Also, though I love my Jazz, there is quite a badge premium on a Honda. In your position I'd consider a Hyundai i20, it felt similar to drive, similar levels of reliability, is more refined, a bit more fuel efficient and £100 a year less tax. And at your budget you'd be looking at 2013 or 14. I considered one but it just doesn't have the dog carrying capacity I need.

General advice on buying secondhand applies. If it seems like it's not been cared for walk away. One way to check that is to look at the car's MOT history on the government website https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
And it really helps when looking at a car to have someone with you - it can help if they know about cars, but beware if what they want in a car isn't what you want.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »
Based on the experiences of Hyundai reliability here in Finland I would not recommend it. It may be fine but there may be annoying and expensive problems in driveline, especially in engine management and fuel injection.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
I have owned my 2012 Jazz for 9 years. I DIY.
SO far I have had zero faults. Zero rust . Exhaust as new.

I expect the car  will outlive my ability to drive (I am 74)  :P

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »
As others have said  dont get too fixated on low mileage.   Most engine wear occurs within the first mile or two on a cold engine.  A car that has only does a short journey once a week  may have very low mileage  but the engine may be more worn than a higher mileage done under more favourable conditions mostly with a warm engine.   Other things also deteriorate with age or lack of use such as perished rubber parts, corroded  electrical contacts, brakes rusting up etc. And of course rusty bodywork etc.      A low mileage 'good un' is nice .  But dont dismiss newer ,higher mileage cars for the same price.

But yes a 2009 Jazz will  probably still have plenty more life left in it. 

Other things to consider ,when deciding if a particular car is a good buy is whether you may soon need to buy  new tyres ,exhaust , battery etc.

And I second the suggestion of taking someone else with you, even if they know nothing about cars.   They may be less emotionally involved and spot faults or disadvantages you may not .

If you do need new tyres I'd recommend getting all season tyres.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
The value of 'motorway miles' is much under-rated.  Beware of older, very low mileage cars and especially ones that have been unused for long periods, the kindest thing for a car is to use it every day and cover a decent mileage.  I have covered many miles in Honda cars,  and the engine will last forever given decent oil on a regular basis.  The things that seem to give a lot of trouble are rear disc brakes, they need to be given attention frequently due to their exposed nature ( especially with alloy wheels ), low pressure on rear pads ( rear brakes supply about 10% of braking force ) and the fact that all the crap kicked up by front wheels seems to end up in the rear brakes. Failure to regularly flush brake fluid ( every 2 to 3 years ) can do a lot of unseen damage inside the braking system, as the fluid absorbs water.

I am not sure if you can check annual mileage on the MOT site ? Be good if you can.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:38:34 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 11:15:27 AM »
My point of view is that all the trouble with brakes or batteries are easy to fix by changing parts and are as new then, but you can't replace rusty bodywork. You can fight against rust, but you cannot stop it.

I have bought couple of old exceptionally low-mileage cars and they have been very good buys. Even with long periods without use. That's why I would recommend such.

Do all 21st century Jazzes have rear disc brakes? If not, I'd look for drum brake models.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »
This summer I sold my 2009 (58 plate) Mk2 Jazz to a cousin, with 143,000 miles on the clock. It had regular servicing and I'm confident that (barring him having an accident in it) it will last at least another 50,000 miles.

A well looked after high mileage Jazz can be a better bargain than a low mileage neglected one.

Things that tend to go at that age are the radiator and the air conditioning.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 12:50:08 PM »
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

will give MOT history and mileage at each MOT and any advisories

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »
Excellent advice all round.
The Govt MOT history site is a huge benefit, not only can you check the car you are considering but you can check other similar cars in adverts, all you need is the registration, you can get a good idea for what they fail MOTs on and see if there are any common issues. I recently went through this exercise and found some particular cars fail regularly on corrosion of brake pipes or leaking rear shock absorbers for example. Mini rear brakes crop up all the time. One model I looked at failed a lot on rear lights not working in various ways.

The MOT history will show how regularly the mileage has built up. Repeated advisories often indicate the attitude to maintenance, you'll often see advisories for cracking tyre treads for several years running.

As said by others, rust on body structure is the real pain. Mechanical stuff is easy to fix, brake discs and suspension joints usually are no real problem, just allow a couple of hundred ££ and it's sorted. Electrical gremlins can be troublesome, make sure everything works. Don't accept anything showing "check engine" MIL faults. Get a new MOT (or at least nearly new) with it.

I like to fit new tyres unless the ones on there are almost new anyway, just allow for it in the price.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 02:33:38 PM »
I have a 2006 Mk 1 S with the 1.2 DSi engine. In the five and a half years I have owned it, it has covered 60,000 miles. (price when bought from a dealer £1795) It now has 147,000 miles on the clock.
The mpg figure beside my avatar is my average mpg over that time and mileage.
The last thing you need to worry about with a secondhand Jazz is reliability.

Tags: