Author Topic: Dash cam installation assistance please.  (Read 1650 times)

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Dash cam installation assistance please.
« on: November 23, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »
Had our Ex Navi CVT for a year and eventually bought a Viofo Dash Cam but need some guidance on placement, best hardwire kit and installation to avoid pillar airbags etc.
I fitted a similar style one to our 2003 CRV which was easy enough and wonder if anyone could shed some tips such as which fuse to piggyback on and screen location, as there's a lot of plastic and shaded glass.
Also, I quite like the idea of the option connector noted in the MK4 forum and wonder if anyone has sourced one suitable for this version.
Lastly, has anyone had one installed at a Honda dealer in the Greater Manchester area?
Thanks in advance.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dash cam installation assistance please.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
The option connector is the way to go if you can.

If you know your model number in Honda speak (my MK4 is a GR3) then you can scour the Japanese sites for it.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:41:26 PM »
Make sure the camera is sited so that it looks through the swept area of the windscreen. I fitted mine to the left of the rearview mirror.
My Viofo came with a clear plastic strip that sticks to the windscreen and then you stick the base to it. I found it useless and ended up attaching the GPS base directly to the windscreen. Make sure you stick the anti-rattle foam to the back of the camera otherwise all the audio picks up is the rattling of the mounting.

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 06:41:38 PM »
Opted to buy the Viofo 3 wire hardwire kit but need to buy the correct fuse taps, could you please advise which type I need?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 04:05:32 AM »
Depends on what type of fuses your car uses.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Be aware that it is common for the fuse tap to be put in the wrong way around - there is a 'common' end ( where there is a solid connection between one end of both fuses ) of the fuse tap that should be connected to the buss bar end in the fusebox ( there is a copper strip in fusebox which carries power to one end of all fuses, then the fuse is between the buss bar and the devices it is protecting ),  If you plug it in the 'wrong' way you end up with two fuses in series with each other - where power flows through the original fuse and then through the 'piggy back' fuse before being fed to the dashcam ( or other device ).  If in doubt do not fit the lower fuse and with only the piggy-back fuse in the holder ( the one with  the cable coming out )see if you get power from the cable that is going to feed the dashcam, if no power then the piggy back is plugged in the wrong way. 

Later Jazz will have smaller type of fuses maybe micro2 or lowprofile

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/types-of-automotive-fuses/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:13:22 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 09:14:18 AM »
A couple of pictures to show where I installed mine. And this is where I bought it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879744143.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dN6xQaT

It seems to do a decent job although I had to disable voice control as it often goes off at goodness knows what utterances from me. I also disabled the automatic crash detection because it saved the current file for every bump in the road.

I just ran the supplied USB connector to a cigar lighter socket and supplied bullet style power adapter. I'm probably going to hardwire it and now realise I can buy a hardwire kit to do that. I probably won't opt to have recording while parked just because I don't think I need it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 09:38:31 AM by langserve »

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 09:25:40 AM »
The alternative to hardwiring is one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304016612318

or a Blackvue B112 (as the most affordable option at 169 GBP)

For my Mk4 I'll be taking this option (relatively safe as they use LiFePO batteries, not Li-Ion) although granted still not cheap.

Tags:

anything