Author Topic: HR-V e:HEV Driven BY ME.  (Read 1290 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
HR-V e:HEV Driven BY ME.
« on: November 17, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »
I had a call yesterday from my Honda dealer and was invited to have a look today.
When I got there the car was ready for a test drive! I had to wait 5 minutes as it was not even registered and none of the staff had driven off site. I was the first person to drive it on the roads.
Horizon's car was booked out all day so I only got half an hour I found it was a bit slower than the Karoq, Not surprisingly as 11bhp down on the K and no turbo. Performance adequate unless put in ’Sport’ then appreciably quicker, but at the cost of consumption of course. Again, I think the reviewers were talking bollox regarding mid range acceleration. It is easily capable of joining a motorway if you plant your foot. The idiots should stop comparing ‘apples & pears’ It is not intended as a sports car, they seem to compare everything with 911’s and similar.

I achieved 61.8 MPG until I came up a long hill on the way back to the dealer and it dropped to 58 6MPG. Pretty impressive.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to fiddle with the infotainment system as deeply as I would like. The little I did do was very responsive and the sat nav very clear. I just hope it can be configured to show destination UP rather than North up Heated steering wheel & seats excellent!
Access was fine for me (6' and 16 stone) and seating position excellent.
Non adjustable (vertically) front passenger seat, see photo.
Boot appeared bigger than the quoted litre size would suggest. Certainly big enough for a 25Kg Lurcher!

I did some 70mph dual carriageway with a period of foot buried in the carpet. Frankly, I don’t know what the idiot reviewers are on about. the ‘MOO’ was quieter than a MkII jazz CVT and certainly didn’t worry me.
Suspension was superior to the K Sportline in spite of running on 50 aspect rubber whereas K on 60 aspect but with sports suspension presumably.
I didn’t feel the suspension was ‘jiggly’, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to test it on the worst road in Poole, which would shake the fillings out of your teeth.
I found the steering weird for the first mile as the the K is far lighter and less self centering. After a mile it felt quite natural and very direct. Bearing in mind the lack of mileage (& therefore un-bedded brake pads) I did have to push pretty hard when I stopped at a roundabout from 60mph.
One really odd thing (perhaps it’s only me?) The flappy paddles marked - & + appear to work arse about face. I would have thought that pulling on + would INCREASE regen, but NO to increase regen to the max level 4 you heave on the - paddle???
I didn’t find the road noise intrusive and talking of noise, I think they forgot to instal the AVAS system as neither my friend & I could hear it with the windows open.
I could however hear the WONDERFUL horn. Thank God no more peep-peep!

Mine had the black straight line grille not the ‘blobby’ one seen in some videos. It looked jolly good on the red car. I will not consider going for it, £550!
I ordered Khaki Sand, I don’t mind it but much prefer the red. My S/M is on holiday so my S/Ex will ask him about changing to red on his return on Monday. I have confirmed my order, but as I said, hopefully he can get me a red one.
Currently my Khaki Sand is due at the dealer early-ish December

Specially for Expatman.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 05:39:38 PM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: HR-V e:HEV Driven BY ME.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 02:53:36 PM »
Me and others seemed to notice an improvement in performance after about 1k miles on our Jazii. Maybe the same thing will happen with that model.
Neil Ives

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 02:58:10 PM »
Yeah the black pack grille is smart. In other markets (non-Europe) they have fancier (Acura style) grilles. But this looks good and nice in red (my new Jazz is Crystal Red and it's a pretty classy colour.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
I had a call yesterday from my Honda dealer and was invited to have a look today.
When I got there the car was ready for a test drive! I had to wait 5 minutes as it was not even registered and none of the staff had driven off site. I was the first person to drive it on the roads.
Horizon's car was booked out all day so I only got half an hour I found it was a bit slower than the Karoq, Not surprisingly as 11bhp down on the K and no turbo. Performance adequate unless put in ’Sport’ then appreciably quicker, but at the cost of consumption of course. Again, I think the reviewers were talking bollox regarding mid rang acceleration. It is easily capable of joining a motorway if you plant your foot. The idiots should stop comparing ‘apples & pears’ It is not intended as a sports car, they seem to compare everything with 911’s and similar.

I achieved 61.8 MPG until I came up a long hill on the way back to the dealer and it dropped to 58 6MPG. Pretty impressive.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to fiddle with the infotainment system as deeply as I would like. The little I did do was very responsive and the sat nav very clear. I just hope it can be configured to show destination UP rather than North up Heated steering wheel & seats excelant!
Access was fine for me (6' and 16 stone) and seating position excellent.
Non adjustable (vertically) front passenger seat, see photo.
Boot appeared bigger than the quoted litre size would suggest. Certainly big enough for a 25Kg Lurcher!

I did some 70mph dual carriageway with a period of foot buried in the carpet. Frankly, I don’t know what the idiot reviewers are on about. the ‘MOO’ was quieter than a MkII jazz CVT and certainly didn’t worry me.
Suspension was superior to the K Sportline in spite of running on 50 aspect rubber whereas K on 60 aspect but with sports suspension presumably.
I didn’t feel the suspension was ‘jiggly’, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to test it on the worst road in Poole, which would shake the fillings out of your teeth.
I found the steering weird for the first mile as the the K is far lighter and less self centering. After a mile it felt quite natural and very direct. Bearing in mind the lack of mileage (& therefore un-bedded brake pads) I did have to push pretty hard when I stopped at a roundabout from 60mph.
One really odd thing (perhaps it’s only me?) The flappy paddles marked - & + appear to work arse about face. I would have thought that pulling on + would INCREASE regen, but NO to increase regen to the max level 4 you heave on the - paddle???
I didn’t find the road noise intrusive and talking of noise, I think they forgot to instal the AVAS system as neither my friend & I could hear it with the windows open.
I could however hear the WONDERFUL horn. Thank God no more peep-peep!

Mine also had the black straight line grille not the ‘blobby’ one seen in some videos. It looked jolly good on the red car. I may consider going for it, depending on price.
Thanks for the pics of the Khaki Sand. I don’t mind it but much prefer the red. My S/M is on holiday so my S/Ex will ask him about changing to red on his return on Monday. I have confirmed my order, but as I said, hopefully he can get me a red one.
Currently my Khaki Sand is due at the dealer early-ish December

Specially for Expatman.
[img width=650
height=365]https://i.imgur.com/Jlrg4Se.jpg[/img]
For some reason I can’t see the photo of the passenger seat - just the img data! The first 3 photos are fine - just no seat!!

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »
Bumma!,

Sorry.
hope this works. 66mm from ground to bolster.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
Bumma!,

Sorry.
hope this works. 66mm from ground to bolster.

Magic - though I think you mean 66cm! Thanks ever so much as that height is fine for my wife. Now waiting for demonstrators to be available near me.
Your review was excellent and underlines the inability of test drivers to properly test a car as it will be driven by actual customers for that car.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
Sounds good. Still on my list. Looks smashing in Red. Thanks for the update.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 09:14:18 PM »
nice review!  ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:38:55 AM »
Yeah the black pack grille is smart. In other markets (non-Europe) they have fancier (Acura style) grilles. But this looks good and nice in red (my new Jazz is Crystal Red and it's a pretty classy colour.

Hope Honda have fitted a finer mesh behind lower grille,  that lower grille looks like the one on my Civic which has holes large enough for a golden eagle to fly through,  and resulted in a hole in my aircon condenser from a flying stone... I have since fitted my own grill of 1/4" square welded stainless steel mesh ( painted black ).  Actually I fitted two grilles,  one behind the bumper ( had to take bumper off to remove and fit new condensor and used opportunity to fit a grille ) and one in front... Belt and bracers
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:01:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 10:13:17 AM »
There are quite a few holy aircon condensors on Civinfo. The 10G seems particularly prone.

I've also read similar stories about self fit finer mesh.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 10:45:00 AM »
There are quite a few holy aircon condensors on Civinfo. The 10G seems particularly prone.

I've also read similar stories about self fit finer mesh.

I got this - there are options for length and width,  I got the 1metre long x 900mm width as the mesh is delivered rolled up and it is easy to get access to the 900mm width without unrolling the whole roll.

https://themeshcompany.com/product/stainless-steel-304-grade-1-4%e2%80%b3-x-1-4%e2%80%b3-inch-hole-0-7mm-wire-22g-welded-mesh-soffit-rolls/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 10:48:05 AM »
How much of the front has to come off ?

Or is it a front fit with cable ties?

Sounds like a good preventative solution.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 11:47:21 AM »
How much of the front has to come off ?

Or is it a front fit with cable ties?

Sounds like a good preventative solution.

As I said there is an inner and outer mesh.. :o    If I was not already having to take bumper off to fit new condenser I would have just fitted external mesh with cable ties.

When I was fitting condenser i just pulled off the front bit of the exterior wheel arch trim to expose the single screw at each end of bumper ( about in line with end of headlight lenses ) took that out and popped out the top edge of bumper to drop it forward, did not bother undoing bottom edge of bumper which is attached to undertray.  There is a transverse impact member across front of car behind bumper, I cut the mesh to reach from bar to undertray then I drilled holes in impact bar and screwed top edge of mesh to the bar with M5 at each end, in the centre I use a piece of aluminium about 10mm wide x 2mm thick which I bolted to mesh in a couple of places and bolted the top end of aluminium to impact bar.   The Vertical aluminium piece is just to give vertical support to the mesh ( the mesh is already pretty strong to be fair ).  So the inner mesh is not actually attached to bumper.    The outer mesh was just a strip 900mm long and deep enough to cover vents in lower bumper, I just cable tied that bit on ( you have to attach one end and then cable tie it as you go across grille,  as you need to get finger through grill to guide the end of cable tie back out,  which you cannot do once 1/4" mesh is over the grille ).   I am a lot happier now that the mesh is in place, I had to get system regassed ( £60 ) and add dye to system, buy a UV torch and wait till it was dark to see the glowing patch on condenser fins, buy a new Nissen condenser ( £95 and it comes with new 'O' rings ),  then had to get system regassed again and cross fingers that the condenser was the only leak ( which appears to be the case  ;D  because system still running OK ).

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
This is supposed to be the "Forum for the 4th generation Honda Jazz from 2020 to present".

It can be really interesting to read about the HR-V in this Jazz forum, especially when it comes to relevant differences or similarities with the Jazz.
However, the question is whether one topic in this forum for the 4th generation Honda Jazz would not be enough. At the moment I already count three four five (I stop counting now  ;)) topics, which in my humble opinion could very well be combined into one HR-V topic.
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »
...They share similarities and people are interested in the info that's being provided. I can't see the harm in them being where they are for now.

I see you have posted the same text in multiple forums. You are obviously perturbed by the HRV, so maybe if you avoid those topics it would alleviate this feeling for you?

Tags: