Author Topic: Honda FRV - Is it any good?  (Read 1373 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Honda FRV - Is it any good?
« on: October 02, 2021, 02:05:16 AM »
We're considering getting an old FRV as we occasionally need the extra seat and space, was wondering if anyone might have had one before and can share their experiences of them. Are they any good?

I can't think of another compact 6 seater that's as reliable as japanese cars generally are and at a similar price point. It's not going to be our main car, but just one for occasional use.

We've had several Hondas in the family for decades now and we love them, but my only complaint with all our Hondas is the weak clutches which seem to be a common theme across all the hondas we've had. Is this the same with the FRV? I'm not so keen on diesels so will be looking at the petrol ones, manual or auto.

Anything to look out for or avoid?

As we don't intend to do more than about 1000-2000 miles a year in it, I guess a high mileage one wouldn't be too much of a problem, but is there a maximum mileage to be safe?

Any advice would be much appreciated!  :)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Honda FRV - Is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 07:13:32 AM »
My brother got an FRV when his family was young and he loved it. 8 years of trouble free motoring (I think it was 5 years old when they got it, 54 plate). His had the 1.7l petrol engine and he always said he would rather have the bigger engine. But then they often took it to France towing a folding camper. I recall going with the four of them and my big dog from Manchester to Cornwall full to the brim and towing. I was impressed. The driving style needed revs but that's the nature of an iVTEC I understand. Fuel economy was reasonable given it is big and boxy, high 30s though with your planned low mileage it's not critical. Sorry I can't remember what mileage it had done.
I drove it a few times, took a bit of getting used to the revs (my car at the time had tons of torque low down), clutch was very light, but not unwieldy for something so big inside. So in my opinion very capable.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 12:37:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, that's really useful. I don't mind the high revs as we're kind of used to that now with the other hondas we've had but its the weak clutch that after a bit of load seems to let you know its struggling. Hopefully thats not the case with the FRV.

Many thanks for your help again! :)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »
It wasn't a problem with his at least. And all that towing must have given it a fairly hard time.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags:

anything