Author Topic: 12 V battery warning light  (Read 31508 times)

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: 12 V battery warning light
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 04:55:48 PM »
So the fault isn’t the car !! Mouse or similiar has attacked the wiring loom for the engine  by chewing through all cables !! Replacement needed which insurance look like they will cover ! Just need to wait until insurance allow Honda garage to do repair and for part to come from Japan !! Ho hum

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 05:23:14 PM »
Hope your car gets fixed soon.

In a way a relief to us others that not a fault!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 06:16:50 PM »
So the fault isn’t the car !! Mouse or similiar has attacked the wiring loom for the engine by chewing through all cables !!
That's a change from the usual sensor or software problems!

Has the damage been temporarily fixed with some insulating tape to get you mobile without the system throwing errors?

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:48 PM »
Good you found the cause! What happened to the mouse?  :D

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 06:59:59 PM »
Friends of mine live in the countryside and park their cars on a gravel area adjoining a 1 acre garden. Both the Land Rover Discovery and a Volvo S40 have had rats eat the wiring causing all sorts of issues. Interestingly their son has an Aygo which hasn't been touched. Obviously not to the rats' taste, or maybe Toyota know something .......

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 07:38:58 PM »
I’m going to see it tomorrow . It’s quite extensive and not something they would repair . Given how complex the hybrid system is I have requested the insurance company let Honda replace the effected loom with a Honda one and that way any future warranty isn’t compromised by an insurance approved garage ! Once the insurance co agree to it then Honda can order up the loom from Japan .estimated cost £2500 to £2700 …!!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 09:57:55 PM »
Wow. Not something you hear about often, and as mentioned.. the rest of us are relieved it isn't a car/manufacturing fault. Glad you're getting it sorted, and its all covered.
How will you prevent it happening again though?  ;D

I have a friend who had a Yamaha XS 750. He went away on holiday for a couple of weeks (sans motorcycle), and when he came back he couldn't wait to take the bike out for a spin... or he would have done had mice not nested in the side panel/airbox and chewed through his wiring loom.

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 10:10:16 PM »
I don’t think you can stop the mice entering the engine bay -an ultra sonic pest deterrent is on order for when it eventually gets repaired
And peppermint oil is something you can get in a spray …😄

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 05:15:05 AM »
In my old garden I had success with a couple of those traps that they walk into and eat the enclosed disc

Maybe some of them near the front to entice them away
Let's be careful out there !

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 11:50:04 AM »
Hi Kremmen, yes I will be trying those and sprays as well. Saw the car at garage today and the rodent has chewed the wiring in several places through to the bare metal . As it’s got wet they have corroded and hence the problem . All hidden below the fuse boxes etc so you can’t see it without taking parts off …. Massive job to replace as every single cable in engine bay is one loom …. Of course when car is built it goes in first before engine etc etc !!

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 06:47:51 PM »
Really feel for you that is a bummer. Hopefully insurance will cough up .

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 07:06:55 PM »
Insurance are trying to charge £200 for not letting it going to their approved body shop repairers (insured with LV). And also won’t pay for courtesy car as not using their repairer… I’m going to point out that it’s not a simple repair and the wiring loom is an integral part of the hybrid control system . As the hybrid tech is a 5 or 8 year warranty then if Honda don’t do the work using Honda loom then they won’t warranty the repair ! As as Honda said the resetting all the software and checking it all is a huge task . And needs Honda diagnostic support to do it !Looking at how extensive the loom is even the dealer can see it’s a full on task !! So lots of emails as LV try to wriggle out of the courtesy car and all that no doubt !
Hopefully LV will revert with their approval to do the work within a week or so . I don’t mind another third party doing a bodywork repair but this is too high tech to simply for some none Honda Herbert’s to have a go at !

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 07:50:10 PM »
You are absolutely right. To have the car returned with essentially no Honda warranty is a big no no. I think this is one of those times where “Honda Approved “ is essential. Good luck !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2024, 04:03:02 AM »
This non franchised approved repairer scheme is often a joke

I've heard of 'approved repairer' reprays coming back like it's been badly brush painted

My impression is that insurance companies get a backhander and Honda approved repairers would never do that

Losing the warranty should surely sink in at LVHQ or are they just robot accountants
Let's be careful out there !

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 08:57:52 PM »
LV have instructed my Honda dealer to proceed with the repair . Looks like the loom on back order is expected in may ! So now can deal with LV to sort the non approved garage no courtesy car saga!!

Tags:

anything