Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16171 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2022, 11:19:52 AM »
My unit often can take 40 secs, or more, to boot, but I just accept it as part of it initialising and connecting.

By the time I'm belted in and RDMS turned off, Android Auto and Google Maps is normally almost there.

What I have noticed (Android) is that once the car recognises the phone and the phone gets the Android Auto triangle 'notification' in the top menu bar Google Maps launches in seconds.

When first powering up and the main infotainment screen has displayed, after pressing Start, I get the default 'Smartphone' icon display. Once it's connected to the phone 'Smartphone' changes to 'Android Auto' and again, within seconds Maps launches.

On some occasions I do press the 'Smartphone' icon that takes me to a sub menu with something like 'Phones ready to connect' and pressing the valid phone usually speeds it up.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:22:53 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »
My unit often can take 40 secs, or more, to boot, but I just accept it as part of it initialising and connecting.

This is the bit that seems to be the design fault with the Honda infotainment system - several reviewers have pointed it out on their test cars, noting that it's not something that happens with other manufacturers cars.

On every other car I've ever driven, the infotainment system boots up instantly with the car being turned on.

I've driven loads of Toyota, VW, Volvo & Mercedes and Vauxhall new hire cars with CarPlay and they have all booted instantly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:09:05 PM by sportse »

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
What are Honda uk saying about the issue. Anything since the unit was changed. Maybe you need to send them a snotogram

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2022, 12:01:32 PM »
What are Honda uk saying about the issue. Anything since the unit was changed. Maybe you need to send them a snotogram

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer - they were the ones that have been in contact with Honda technical directly over the last few months and my 6 visits.

NoelM

• Approved Member
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2022, 12:38:30 PM »
Maybe it’s time to contact Honda uk direct to add pressure and show your dissatisfaction.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
Maybe it’s time to contact Honda uk direct to add pressure and show your dissatisfaction.

Thanks, I've just messaged them.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2022, 03:24:17 PM »
Received a reply from Honda… contact the dealer!

Not impressed with Honda’s customer support- perhaps it’s been outsourced along with Honda technical?

You’d think the manufacturer would be the expert on the products they sell.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2022, 03:38:36 PM »
I suppose, in my case, I've got used to devices not firing up instantly but having to initialise.

My standalone Garmin DS61 doesn't fire up immediately but takes a short while. I suppose the onboard Garmin also performs similar checks, etc.

I notice when my headunit is booting there are a range of icons across the top that change colour as they connect to .... whatever.

If CarPlay integration is to blame then does it boot considerably quicker with no phone paired ?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2022, 03:51:31 PM »
It was working ok for the first few weeks after the new head unit was fitted, then the problems returned.

I think it could be a design fault, as I also had the issue once in the service loan car I had for 800 odd miles.

Several reviewers have the same issue, so it’s widespread with CarPlay apparently.

You get a black screen, a spinning icon, then the screen flashes on and off with sometimes blank menu headers before you finally get the telematics start up screen.

It doesn’t happen every time, sometimes it starts as normal whereas other times you are left sitting for 40 seconds.

Probably some Jazz owners think it’s ok if they are used to boot up times on some devices but other cars don’t have the delay.

If I’d known about the design fault I would have saved £5k and bought a low miles SE instead of an EX - then I could have just used the phone screen for sat nav instead of the infotainment unit.

NoelM

• Approved Member
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2022, 05:31:23 PM »
You need to write an extremely strong email to them stating how many times it has been back to the dealers. Also tell them you are totally dissatisfied with their response and the fact that the dealer cannot resolve the issue.

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2022, 06:55:42 PM »
Personally I hate social media, but it can be useful.

See if Honda have a social media presence & if they have hit them with the facts.   Most organisations hate bad press.....and social media has a way of stimulating a reaction from them......

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
Personally I hate social media, but it can be useful.

See if Honda have a social media presence & if they have hit them with the facts.   Most organisations hate bad press.....and social media has a way of stimulating a reaction from them......
Thanks, for most companies they are big on social media but Honda is awful.

Looking through some of their posts, they haven’t even responded to potential customers - all they seem to do is post poor quality adverts about meaningless features and not engage with any of the replies.

I’ve emailed back to Honda and given them a list of the 6 garage visits.

I expect Honda customer services is likely just an outsourced call centre though.

NoelM

• Approved Member
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2022, 08:48:21 PM »
You can message them from their Facebook page, but if they don’t like what you say all they do is block you  :D :D

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
Took a while, I had several messages from Honda asking for more information - I had to provide a copy of my V5 as well as more information such as service history, VIN number/etc.

Eventually, they are escalating the issue now - apparently issues can also only be escalated if you have had your car looked at by a dealer within the last 30 days as well as providing all the information previously asked for.

I'm not sure if the escalation team is just another part of the same call centre, but hopefully they will be able to take some action to get matters resolved.

The new control unit fixed the problem for a few weeks, but then all the same 40 second boot up issues came back.

Maybe the units are failing after a while? Once failed, resetting and software updates don’t fix them as it’s a hardware failure?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:15:43 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »
Just out of interest I've been having a surf around re Android headunit boot times.

From what I've found 30 to 60 seconds for a cold boot seems to be normal. Some headunits have a standby feature that can be user set so if you make frequent stops it will stay in standby mode but these are in increments up to an hour to stop draining the battery.

In addition to the 30 to 60 seconds some apps can add to that as further connections are needed.

Why yours fluctuates so much is weird.

Tags:

anything