Author Topic: Ford Sierra turns 40  (Read 2050 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Ford Sierra turns 40
« on: February 27, 2022, 11:15:04 AM »
Did anyone have a Ford Sierra,  I had a Cherry Red 1.6  in 1986 and it was spacious and a nice car to drive, and a bit livelier than other cars I had owned up till then.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10543433/Ford-Sierra-1980s-family-favourite-turns-40-examples-worth-100k.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:47:29 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: Ford Sierra turns 40
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 12:08:20 PM »
I never owned one, however the father of my girlfriend at the time had two during the time we were together, both were great cars. The first was red, a display full of various warning lights which was very new to me, I think it was a GL model.
That one was handed over to his son when a newer one was bought, not quite the same spec, I got to drive that in the late 80's and found it a very comfortable drive with good leg room for the driver as I am tall. Most of my cars have been smaller and more cramped, with the pedals being further forward (closer) to the driver, making clutch control difficult. I only drive automatic cars now... That is, unless I'm given a manual courtesy car which is a bit of a faff...

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 12:14:14 PM »
...Red Sapphire glsi  :)

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 01:15:23 PM »
Blue 2ltr estate, auto

Easy and comfortable to drive

Nice car

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
After my experience of numerous Anglias (other peoples), I always avoided Fords like the plague.

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 01:57:04 PM »
After my experience of numerous Anglias (other peoples), I always avoided Fords like the plague.

Fords were always cheap to fix, but they needed to be  :o    To be fair the Sierra was a step change up from earlier Ford cars like Anglia.. and very easy to work on.  The Sierra was the only Ford I ever owned, I went Japanese after that.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 02:17:45 PM »
FIX
OR
REPAIR
DAILY

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 02:36:54 PM »
FIX
OR
REPAIR
DAILY

Like FIAT    Fix It Again Tomorrow......

Or HONDA  Happy Owners No Disappointments Ahead.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 03:42:29 PM »
Yes - I had a 1.8 Sierra. It's the only car I've bought that I now know was "clocked." The dealer I bought it from had gone bust when this came to light.

That said, it was a decent enough car although not a patch on the Mk2 Cavalier I had later.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »

Or the famous
L ots
O f
T rouble
U sually
S erious

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 05:24:41 PM »

Or the famous
L ots
O f
T rouble
U sually
S erious
I went to David Silver's Silver's 10th anniversary of the CB750,

Went to a dinner, happened to sit with several ex - hi ups from Honda,

They came up with

Something something No decision   available.

Names hidden for safety

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 06:29:26 PM »
Remember seeing lots of sierra’s when I was a kid, we never had one, we had a Granada which I remember was like being on a boat, huge thing with a sofa in the back and fifty ash trays built in.

The sierra cosworth used to be quite a goer didn’t it?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »
Years ago we went to Wembley to watch Everton, after the match we turned up the wick on the Sierra XR4 ,arrived back in Liverpool. Went into our local no-one would be believe we had been to watch the game.
Even showed a few fans the afterburns on the car.
Only bettered when we borrowed a well used Sierra 4x4 to follow the RAC rally around the country - an eye opener.
Both great drives in their day.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 08:34:37 PM »
I did a Rally day at Knockhill and the cars they used were Sierra Sapphires. It was a tarmac stage we were on and huge fun. On my final run down the hill of the day, I managed to spin it. I would have let it turn and carried on but the instructor shouted "Brake, brake, brake" in a high feminine voice, so I did and removed the entire back bumper on a barrier. The final goodie of the day was the instructor took you up the hill and back down again. And I thought I was going as fast as the car would go! I spent half the trip hanging from the seatbelts. The following morning I had bruises across both shoulders.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:18 PM »
Back in the late '80s and early '90s, I had access to a company pool car. After a while, my boss upgraded his car and I had use of his outgoing Grade for a while. It was an underpowered 2 litre job and drove like an oil tanker. Soon after, I qualified as a company car user and ordered my Cavalier 1.8GL. As it was going to take a while to be delivered, I was allocated a temporary car, which was a black Sierra 2.0 Ghia. It was chock full of all the luxuries but was terribly unreliable, until finally, the leasing company agreed to deal with it. All it needed was a new battery. It had been a heavy smoker's car though and it took us two days to get it properly clean and decontaminated of cigarette stains and smells. As it happened, the Cavalier came early so I only had the car for a month so not long enough to get to know it or form any kind of attachment to it.

Tags: