Author Topic: This may be a very short thread!  (Read 4736 times)

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: This may be a very short thread!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »
Drive shaft snapped when i attempted to join a roundabout, mk2 jazz. Nothing else other than that painful one.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »
Here Leyland Princess had the worst reputation regarding the quality of design and manufacturing. But yes, Morris Marina was close to that as well.

I remember Longridge full of automatic Princesses with faulty drive shafts (designed out of alignment with the gearbox! They all had to be reworked.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2023, 04:26:24 PM »
I almost bought an immaculate bronze 1974 Wolseley 6 automatic at a car auction. It went for peanuts. I was right into car repairs at that time but I often wonder what nightmares it brought to the new owner. The one in the picture was MOTd up until 2018 but is currently SORNd.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2023, 04:39:09 PM »
Drive shaft snapped when i attempted to join a roundabout, mk2 jazz. Nothing else other than that painful one.
IIRC driveshafts (or one of them) has an intentional  weak point so that under excessive stress it fails first, thus protecting  less easily replaced internal gears etc.   I have heard of cars (not Jazz)  breaking drive shafts when driven off a kerb. One wheel goes airborne for a short time and spins rapidly building up momentum and torque, which is suddenly  halted when the wheel lands. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2023, 11:07:14 AM »
I began my driving career in a 1979 Morris Marina back in '89. Absolute pile of junk. Starting the thing was a complete lottery. It was swiftly followed by a Mk1 Ford Fiesta 1.1, that covered 25k miles and never missed a beat. Killed by rust in the end.

That said, I did own a Triumph Dolomite 1850 HL for a year in '91. A really reliable car. Had an overdrive gearbox that was fantastic. Fond memories. The only thing that didn't work was the choke lever. The twist and lock function was shot, but easily fixed by a clothes peg to hold it out! There was joy in a cheap fix.

These days, even in the very depths of winter and -10, I can rely on my Jazz to start first time every time. A world away from my Marina!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2023, 01:52:57 PM »
My experience of a Morris Marina was delightful. It was a brand new hire car I had to drive back from the airport after dropping off a colleague returning to the States. Mind you, at the time my daily driver was a FIAT 126 so I didn't have a lot to improve on!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2023, 02:02:14 PM »
I seem to recall BL implemented raised conveyor belts for the Marina construction so stuff around sill level was easier to work on.

Prior to that all cars sat on the factory floor so low down stuff the mechanics had to bend.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: