Author Topic: Reversing Camera alignment  (Read 3103 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Re: Reversing Camera alignment
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 06:37:55 PM »
That's just about the only drawback to the wonderful Jazz. It has everything except self-park.  I jest not! 
I've only had self-park on one car, an A160 2009 Mercedes (the very car that Honda seemed to have copied for the Jazz.)
I miss letting the car do the parking and rate self-park as highly as auto transmission - so it's likely my next car may be a Skoda Fabia.  Sorry to have upset the apple-cart.
I loved the self park (parallel only) on my Yeti  - it could get into spaces that I had great problems getting out of. in my BMW X1 I did not have the same confidence in its self parking feature and only used it twice in three years.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2022, 06:41:55 PM »
But, the staff who cleaned and refuelled them at night were masters of speedy reverse parking with very little room. They were a joy to watch.
All our service buses were cleaned, fuelled and parked and ready to drive off but the Learner bus was parked in a row of specials and only got cleaned and refuelled if requested.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2022, 07:58:32 PM »

If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »
 :P

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »
It appears that in some parts of the USA it's against the law to reverse park and I don't know why.
Not all states require front number plates and many of the roads in american towns and cities are very wide  with parking perpendicular to the sidewalk.  It is a requirement to drive into a space so the back of the vehicle faces the road.  This allows any police car cruising along to read the licence plates. 

In the USA the pavement is the road surface.
Having lived in Maryland USA for 13 years most parking lots had a “Heads In” sign and many had angled parking in a one way line so it was dead easy to pull in head first and easy to reverse out because cars were only coming one way and you were at the right angle while reversing to spot approaching cars. Spaces were bigger as well! What I can’t understand is why people reverse into a parking bay at supermarkets etc., they then have to unload their trolley at the front of the car and carry all their shopping bags down between their car and the one parked next to it. Usually banging both cars with their bags and also cleaning the sides of both cars with their coats as they manoeuvre through the narrow gap!
I once asked a man who reversed in next to me why he did that and made loading his shopping more difficult, he didn’t answer but his wife with him said to me -- “it’s because he is an idiot who rarely does any shopping”.  I’ve never had a problem reversing out of a parking bay and generally you are parking in a carpark where drivers should be driving at no more than 5 MPH anyway. Actually that’s another thing about the USA they were red-hot on people speeding (>5mph) in car parks. Children walking from their car to the store are not always concentrating and it was other drivers responsibility to drive safely in the circumstances. Some drivers here seem to think that the driving lanes on car parks are main roads and can be driven on at main road speeds. Why???

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 07:19:32 AM »
OK getting back to the OP's topic  for now.   Sorry I dont  know of any way to calibrate the lines.  Or even if the dealer can do so.

But apart from trying different camera view modes   could it also be due to whether you have the camera set for  fixed guidelines that dont move   or dynamic guidelines that bend  as you turn the steering?  Page  519 of the Jazz online manual.     Is it possible that you have mistaken a line that is in fact slightly curved,or straight but not quite parallel with the car ( as it would be with fixed guidelines ) due to slight movement on the steering?

It might be worth switching between  fixed and dynamic to see if the accuracy of the guidelines  changes.  Or in an empty parking bay  try and replicate the inaccuracy with slight steering movements.  Anyone seeing you shunting backwards and forwards experimenting will think you mad of course, so give them a  :P

This dynamic movement ,and probably other sytems on the car such as power steering, would require a sensor to detect the relative position of the steering wheel. Unlikely but its just possible this steering sensor is out of calibration and showing steering (and thus the reversing guidelines )  as straight ahead when its actually not quite true.  .  If you have eliminated other possibilities it might be worth having a word with the  dealer.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:41:40 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 09:07:10 AM »
I've started 'Auto parking etc' in Off Topic
Neil Ives

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 11:46:25 AM »
OK, I have just checked with my HR-V and there is a hidden settings menu which does include calibrating the guidelines. However there are many other settings there which would be best left alone…..! I assume the same will apply to the Jazz.

If you want to try this then from the ignition on position simultaneously press Home+Volume knob+seek backwards for about 30 seconds or so. Seek backwards is the left button below the volume knob. You will then see a screen with two choices. Select the lower one (called detailed settings or something similar) and the screen will change to one with several settings options. Select camera setup, then guidelines etc until the picture from the rear camera appears. Then press Home which will bring up a further menu including adjust guidelines, save or reset to default. Use the onscreen controls to adjust the guidelines as necessary. Then either save if you are happy or reset to default if not. Then use the onscreen return button several times until you get back to the normal home screen.

Hope this helps!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 12:34:12 PM »
...You should only need to press them for a couple of seconds, at least you do in the Jazz.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2022, 08:48:45 PM »
The E has reverse park, which works brilliantly as long as the car park has good white lines, and also parallel park which does not need lines and I have only used once, scary, but it worked well. The one thing from the E that a top Jazz should have is the camera mirrors and 360 degree top down view, that is brilliant for reversing, but I suppose would take the price out of Jazz territory compared to competitors.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 04:23:14 AM »
I have never used the displayed gridlines to reverse. I far prefer to use the door mirrors to line up then the rear camera as a distance check.

For parallel parking, I have my passenger mirror dipped to a point where I can still see behind but also I can just see the rear nearside wheel so I don't kerb it.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 08:11:16 AM »
I have never used the displayed gridlines to reverse. I far prefer to use the door mirrors to line up then the rear camera as a distance check.

For parallel parking, I have my passenger mirror dipped to a point where I can still see behind but also I can just see the rear nearside wheel so I don't kerb it.

Same.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
The E has reverse park, which works brilliantly as long as the car park has good white lines, and also parallel park which does not need lines and I have only used once, scary, but it worked well. The one thing from the E that a top Jazz should have is the camera mirrors and 360 degree top down view, that is brilliant for reversing, but I suppose would take the price out of Jazz territory compared to competitors.
Have to agree with you on this. The 360 camera on the E made parking such a breeze, perfect alignment between the white lines irrespective of how tight the space might be.
Even though the E and Jazz are small cars and generally easier to park, I really miss the 360 camera now I have a Jazz.

Tags: