Author Topic: Phone mount  (Read 2209 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Phone mount
« on: September 04, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »
I haven't looked too closely yet but I'm looking for somewhere to mount my dedicated active Brodit phone mount.

Just leaving it resting on the sloping tray by the 2 USB sockets does nothing for GPS reception.

Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
Phone mount
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 05:48:58 AM »
I always used to use Brodit mounts in my cars, but there isn’t one available for the new Jazz yet (they are going to email me when they make one. )

I’ve found the reception from the tray is actually quite good - I have my phone there on a non slip mat and plugged into the USB port.

I tried wireless CarPlay but found wired CarPlay has a faster response time to screen presses. Also maybe a bit higher music quality too.

In the loan Jazz SR I had, I used a vent mount phone holder in the air vent to the left of the screen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PMNB7XV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_7Q4TC8M7R63XERTWBXQR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:51:30 AM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Phone mount
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 06:41:30 AM »
Thanks

I have a speed camera app that detects a BT connection and automatically launches in the background. You can have it in the foreground if you want and that's what I did in the Civic because I had the phone mounted high up.

It then issues alerts over the car system.

Of course, to do this, it needs a good GPS signal. If I can get good GPS on the tray then the jobs a goodun.

I've got some of that anti-slip rubber stuff so I'll be cutting that to shape later.

Oh, the app is 'Speedtrap Alert'

sportse

• Approved Member
Phone mount
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »
I still had my old brodit phone specific power mount and cable - I found that it fitted snugly on top of the gripper mat:

That way I can just slot the phone in and out of the mount without having to attach a cable each time.

It also means it is the right way round to have the GPS antenna at the top for an even better signal.

Having the phone top down in the tray was fine apart from very occasionally I’d get a few seconds of slight signal drop usually right at the start of an average speed section of road… which for a few seconds showed my average speed at 130+mph! Way above the actual top speed of the car.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:09:40 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »
I never thought of backwards, thanks.

I'll see how it fares tomorrow,  just on the mat facing forwards, as I'm doing my first trip. It's a shame they don't design in a flat plate somewhere so the likes of a Brodit mount can be secured easily.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
Just been out and measured up.

I wouldn't be able to slide my phone in with the lever in P.

I think my plan B is to plug into a rear USB and just leave the phone on the passenger seat given 99% of my journeys are just me. For the 1% I'll use the tray, as long as I get a good GPS signal. I'm only using the charge USB as I have a memory stick in the connected one to play my music.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »
Just been out and measured up.

I wouldn't be able to slide my phone in with the lever in P.

I think my plan B is to plug into a rear USB and just leave the phone on the passenger seat given 99% of my journeys are just me. For the 1% I'll use the tray, as long as I get a good GPS signal. I'm only using the charge USB as I have a memory stick in the connected one to play my music.

Are you able to slide the phone into the pocket at the back of the front seats near the headrest?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 01:45:34 PM »
I could do but I think just on the front seat, plugged in, on a black anti-slip mat, will do the job.

Testing plan A tomorrow .......

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »
Phone worked perfectly on the tray but a faff to connect behind the gear stick with a short usb.

I've connected a longer lead to one of the rear usb slots and I'll put the phone on the passenger seat tomorrow.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
Not to be beaten I've been at it .......

This solution involves no marking to the car at all and the mount is quite solid.

The parts are :

Foam from Hobbycraft : https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/black-thick-foam-sheet-21cm-x-30cm/649521-1000

Brodit Angled Mount : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001LYECWQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd previously cut the angled mount for the Civic and the existing shape was fine:

First I cut the foam to shape :

Length:

Depth 1:

Depth 2:

Tidied up before fitting:

Once built the foam simply slides between the seat and the console, isn't a very tight fit that is going to put too much pressure anywhere but strong enough to hold the phone and holder in place.

Finished article in place:

You can see the foam between the seat and console.

Brodit active mount for my Galaxy S10, cable hidden under the foam and plugged into one of the rear USB sockets.

I fitted the mount to the left of the foam but whilst experimenting the mount will fit to the right of the foam if it interferes with a passenger too much. It does cover the blank button which is probably OK.

Proper Job :)

kremsearch
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:09:50 AM by Kremmen »

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 09:34:55 AM »