Author Topic: Swindon closure.  (Read 1875 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Swindon closure.
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
Hi, just thinking about the proposed closure of Swindon. Wondering whether this might affect parts and support in this country. I am not aware of any other Honda factories in the uk, presumably there will be an office still here. Has anyone got any thoughts on this development.  Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Swindon closure.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
It would appear that Honda intend keeping their European Headquarters here, unless that has changed in the latest announcement from Japan, this morning.

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
I just think it's sad that the manufacturing facility at Swindon is to close.
I care for Honda as a car maker.
Does this mean that there will be even more Mercedes. Volkswagen and Audis on the roads in the future as if there wasn't enough already?
Where I live even the village idiot now zooms round in a top of the range Merc.
Lord help us.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:41 PM »
well they stopped making the jazz there in 2015 and that sells more than the civic and i bet the EU will start putting tarriffs back after a few years because you just cant trust them

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
It's a huge shame for the employees of Honda and their UK suppliers. However the writing seems to be on the wall as far as car manufacturers go. I suspect it's going to get worse. Once electric cars become the only possible new purchase the industry loses a significant differentiator. There are many ways to build an ICE and many things you can do to tweak it but an electric motor is pretty much the same whoever makes it. I think the chassis and drive train will become standardised and manufactured by a handful of companies and all a car manufacturer will do is design the body and interior.

That plus 'cars as a service' will probably kill off most of the competition and it'll just be a few companies making a commodity item that most people take for granted and have no more interest in than most of us take an interest in the make/model of a bus or a train. Cars will just become something that gets us from A to B and is forgotten about as soon as we alight.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
This article https://www.economist.com/business/2019/01/19/carmakers-scramble-to-prepare-for-a-chilly-future was written a month ago but effectively anticipated Honda's planned consolidation of production.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »
Those in the know in the motor industry have been forecasting this upheaval since EVs started to become an alternative to conventional vehicles. Dieselgate put the lid on the coffin and we are now just in the process of screwing it down. Fossil fuel cars are approaching where horses were at the end of the 19th century. And garages will go the same way as Blacksmiths!

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
how delightful  crappy overpriced electric cars and no charge points cant wait .......................

Tags:

anything