Author Topic: auto gearbox fluid change and Spark Plugs???  (Read 1659 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
auto gearbox fluid change and Spark Plugs???
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:47:41 AM »
hi can anyone tell me when the auto gearbox fluid should be changed for a 1.4i vtec i shift  ex 2010, the car has only done 22500 miles , I purchased it from main honda  dealer with 16300 very low mileage but the car only did 1500 in one year?? before mot  it had only had minor/part services done by main dealer up to now , car will be due service shortly should I ask for a fluid change for the auto gearbox, also should the spark plugs be changed on this service??? should i have just standard plugs fitted  or should i ask for I believe  iridium??? longer lasting plugs, and how long do these last for and are they worth the extra cost??? if anyone can give me some advice i would be thankful, also I am a bit confused as to the type of gearbox this car has is it a cvt??  and what fluid would be best for it?? thanks everyone!!

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: auto gearbox fluid change and Spark Plugs???
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »
Well your plugs should be iridium and changed at 70-80,000 miles  (mine are on 86,000 at the moment but as it's a pain in the bum just finding the time to do it). :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:29 AM »
I believe the i-shift is just a manual gearbox, actuated electrically. The manual gearbox oil change interval is 72,000 miles or 6 years (whichever comes first) unless the car is only used for short journeys where they quote 36,000 miles and 3 years.
The CVT gearbox is a different matter altogether.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »
Well your plugs should be iridium and changed at 70-80,000 miles  (mine are on 86,000 at the moment but as it's a pain in the bum just finding the time to do it). :)

I changed ours early (about 60K) on Civic and Mk2 Jazz and noticed a marked difference in smoothness - IMHO even 70K advised change may be a bit too long.  Changing them in Civic was easy-peasy,  Jazz was a bit of a pain.   At bottom is Denso plug from Opie oils,  it has the correct 'double electrode' (projections from centre and ground electrode) as the Honda OEM (Honda use Denso or NGK as OEM).   This is a good price as I have seen them for over £100 for 4    https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-spark-plug-set-iridium-2009-2015/  :o

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-167926-denso-iridium-tt-spark-plug-ik20tt.aspx?vehicleid=32673&yearfilter=2012&providerpartid=160558267&genericpartid=686&providerpartlinkid=214632762&genericpartname=Spark%20Plug
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:12:46 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »
hi can anyone tell me when the auto gearbox fluid should be changed for a 1.4i vtec i shift  ex 2010, if anyone can give me some advice i would be thankful, also I am a bit confused as to the type of gearbox this car has is it a cvt??  and what fluid would be best for it?? thanks everyone!!
The 2010 model has an i-shift gearbox not a CVT. The CVT was reintroduced for the 2011 facelift. I can't help with the oil type.

Vic.

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
The plugs as already mentioned are available from many sources. I bought mine from Ebay at I believe circa £12 each. I changed mine at the year stipulation not mileage and quite honestly the old ones were still in gap and looked clean as a plug can be. You will have to remove the cowl at the rear of the engine bay. Not difficult but fiddly and the crappy plastic clips are FRAGILE.
Ishift gear box is a manual gearbox with automated clutch and gear change. The oil is Honda MT-3 Manual transmission fluid. I bought mine from Cox Motor Parts at £10.08 a litre. You will need for safety sake 1 x 12mm sump plug washer and one 20mm washer. This is what was supplied when I ordered the two washers for the gearbox ( one drain and one level) cost £1.20. 
My local garage did the oil change as I can no longer get down under the car and he said access was not quite as straight forward as he would have thought.
If you order from Cox they asked for the registration number to make sure they supplied the correct parts. I would recommend using HONDA oil. I know some recommend Opie  but they may not be able to supply the washers.

Tags:

anything