Author Topic: Nissan Engine  (Read 2702 times)

guest5079

Nissan Engine
« on: July 08, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
For the techno phobes. An Email from my Brother in Canada and possibly old news to those well up with Autosport BUT, Nissan have developed a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder engine  that weighs 40kgs. Whats so special well it turns out 400 hp. ( I assume they mean BHP)  It has DiG-T after it's name and was used  on the Circuit de la Sartine in a car referred to as ZEOD ( zero emissions on demand) They did one lap using electric power and then used the engine and Nissan's regenerative braking system as fitted to their Leaf. The car achieved some 180 miles an hour.
It mentions that it was to take part at Le Man.
Wouldn't half make my Jazz move?

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: Nissan Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
This may prove way too maintenance intensive for normal everyday road use. Seems to need special lubricants as well.  If they did 200BHP from a 1.5 it would be OK for most purposes.  It won't be the first concept / demonstrator that doesn't make it into ordinary peoples lives when faced with real-world challenges and conditions.

Also the engine in the pictures seems to be missing a gearbox, differential etc. which would seem to be quite important, and more to the point quite heavy.  Huge power is available from gas turbine engines, which are quite light in themselves up until the point you consider adding stuff to make them usable in a vehicle + fuel consumption.

A modern superbike engine can get 230BHP from a normally aspirated 1000cc engine which if you scale it up to 1500cc is 350BHP,  imagine if you added a turbo to one of those.  and the whole motorbike only weighs about 350lbs = 160KG.

Guy Martin recently entered a turbocharged Suzuki GSX-R1100 into Pikes Peak race (14,500 foot American mountain) with about 300BHP at rear wheel (would have been more but the ECU had problems getting the fuel / air mixture correct). Turbo was to try and make up the 30% power loss at 14,500 feet,  which also affects the human body and brain in bad ways due to lack of oxygen - there is also a race for electric cars and motorbikes, which don't suffer from power loss and you could probably re-charge battery by rolling back down the mountain :D.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:46:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »
.Thank you for your comments. Looking at the link by CSP it appears to be identical to the one published in North America ( my Brother lives in Canada but there was no identification as to where the magazine was published) but the link had a date of 2014 so it's been around a while.
Culzean is quite correct about all this concept stuff rarely getting to the mass produced car and yet we are continually told that motor sport etc is beneficial to the public.

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
Honda were getting 850 BHP from 1.5 litre turbo'd F1 engines in the 80's (and over 1000BHP in qualifying) ... where did it all go wrong for them :-(

Tags:

anything