Author Topic: Problem updating maps  (Read 6429 times)

martint123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 ex navi
Problem updating maps
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
Hi, having only recently got the car I had to try to update the maps didn't I.
Went through the procedure - update in car to get xml file to stick, download Garmin Express and download the maps on PC to stick, and update in car from stick.

It went to 100% after 20 minutes or so, but at the end said "map update failed" and "installing /garmin/SID"
(I'll try to attach pics).

Any thoughts? I retried a couple of times with the same results. Although things seem to be working ok.

cheers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Problem updating maps
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »
I would start the process again with a freshly formatted USB stick and try again.

Did you just download Garmin Express or had it previously loaded?

I updated my map last week and Garmin Express said it had a critical update and installed a new version (5.3.1.0)

Could have been a corrupted file that downloaded perhaps so the update wasn't successful.

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
Thanks for that.
It was a fresh install of Garmin Express and same version as you mention 5.3.1.0
I'll try with a fresh and different USB stick and see if anything changes although I have my doubts as I've downloaded the whole lot three times now (I'll be running out of ISP data if I'm not careful ;)

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »
Nope. uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express. New 16gb USB stick, big download and try in car - just the same.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
You could try shutting down the Garmin App and trying update again.

Press and hold [Home] (Task manager appears)
Select Garmin in list and clear the app.
Press [Home]
Restart Garmin
Reattempt map update.

Otherwise carry out a factory reset on the unit (this will loose your paired phones and radio pre-sets)
Restarts unit as it came from factory.
Restart Garmin
Reattempt Map update

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a whirl at the weekend with fingers crossed.

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
Couldn't wait for the weekend!
Clearing data from Garmin via TaskManager - no change.
Full reset (10 sec poweron button) - still the same error when updating maps as in the pic in the first post..
Navigation seems to be fine when running, it's just the /garmin/sid error that is a worry.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »
A thought: Does the size of the maps you are trying to load exceed the available storage capacity? Each map update tends to have a bit more detail than the previous one. Can you try updating a smaller area?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
My only thoughts are if the USB stick has been formatted on an Apple Mac then it may have some hidden "dot files" that may affect things (there's a command that can clean these), or if it's on PC then 'show hidden and system files' and ensure nothing else is on the stick?  Some comments in other Garmin forums suggest that the USB stick brand can be quite critical, with maybe 4 types failing for each 1 succeeding.

This is from an Dodge Charger forum where the manufacturer is slow or expensive releasing updates, so users are buying external Garmin Nuvi devices with lifetime updates for less than the cost of one dealer update and co-opting those updates for their in-dash units.  Some troubles are still experienced, but they have developed some workarounds - the jist of it seems to be updating the maps one data section at a time, but with the unique gmapprom.img file retained as the key or unlock file.

They are pulling the update files from their Nuvi devices: (the numbers probably vary by edition/version/date)

"When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this:"
└───Garmin
  │ gmap3d.img
  │ gmapprom.img
  │ gmaptz.img
  │
  ├───ASR
  │ 04CNCW74.srx
  │ 04CNCW75.asr
  │ 04CNCW76.asr
  │ 04CNCW77.asr
  │
  ├───JCV
  │ D3191130A.jcv
  │
  └───SID
     D2656150A.sid
     D3406120A.sid

They are then finding that updating the map data one section at a time may work better than the one-shot method.

"Fallback method for installing full update:

This is the way that I updated my maps. It's more painful than the way I posted earlier, so I hope the previous method is good enough. I've spent so much time going through map updates that I just don't have the motivation to go back and do it again! Hopefully someone will chime in soon with a success story.

The problem is that the maps are getting too big.  If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail.  There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update.  Unfortunately, there's no way for us to plug a computer into the radio and make any changes, so we have to use the Uconnect method.

When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

I used a three-step process, but maybe steps 2 and 3 can be combined into one single step.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder.
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.  Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

As I mentioned, steps 2 & 3 may possibly be done in one step after cleaning out the old files in step 1.

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
A thought: Does the size of the maps you are trying to load exceed the available storage capacity? Each map update tends to have a bit more detail than the previous one. Can you try updating a smaller area?

Interesting - I can't say I've seen anywhere that gives an option as to what map or area you want to upgrade.

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
My only thoughts are if the USB stick has been formatted on an Apple Mac then it may have some hidden "dot files" that may affect things (there's a command that can clean these), or if it's on PC then 'show hidden and system files' and ensure nothing else is on the stick?  Some comments in other Garmin forums suggest that the USB stick brand can be quite critical, with maybe 4 types failing for each 1 succeeding.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply (and sorry for my delayed replay)
I'm not a Mac user and always have show hidden/system files set.
I hate locked down systems like this where none of your familiar diagnostic apps or even normal system tools are available.  Maps getting too big certainly sounds like a possibility and I'll certainly be giving the "update a bit at a time" method a try this week now that I'm back.

martint123

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
Step 2 didn't work for me. It objects to missing detailed maps when the two files are moved to the disabled folder and stops the update.

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »
That's a shame, I hope that a map update could be done by the dealer at service time as part of the standard schedule; if they can't do it then it's a fault and I suppose a warranty issue.  Does seem a bit crazy that the unit is not designed to update itself over wi-fi on an incremental basis.
--
TG

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 04:44:17 AM »
Was this error ever solved because there is a new post on Civinfo with the same problem error message ?
Let's be careful out there !

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 12:23:09 PM »
Hi, having only recently got the car I had to try to update the maps didn't I.
Went through the procedure - update in car to get xml file to stick, download Garmin Express and download the maps on PC to stick, and update in car from stick.

It went to 100% after 20 minutes or so, but at the end said "map update failed" and "installing /garmin/SID"
(I'll try to attach pics).

Any thoughts? I retried a couple of times with the same results. Although things seem to be working ok.

cheers
In order:
1) use a 16gb pendrive, FAT32 formatted (NTFS or other filesystem will not work) and replay all the process. Disable antivirus software on your PC before starting, (even Microsoft Defender or other Microsoft antivirus) some files could be deleted by Windows if false positive. Check the amount of files uploaded on your pendrive once the Garmin Express PC app ends the process, it must be higher than 8gb.
2) Try rebooting your unit: press and hold the Power and Day Night button at the same time for five seconds. After five seconds the unit will switch into the reboot mode, then the unit will do a file check during rebooting. Rebooting will take approximately two and a half minutes, then replay step 1).
3) If  step 2 does not work: try a Factory data reset:  Go to the HOME screen, press the "Apps" icon, press "Settings" icon, select "Backup & Restore" then "Factory data reset" then "Reset device" then "Erase everything" and finally conform.  This will erase all your personal and stored data such as paired phones, Wi-Fi, phone books, uploaded pictures, FM and DAB stations, etc. Then replay step 1.
4) the software version of your Garmin App  is not the last avaiable, I have the 3.45 corresponding to the RC8, the last release from Honda,  your one could be a RC5 or RC6 and an update could be a good idea.

Was this error ever solved because there is a new post on Civinfo with the same problem error message ?
Doh, just read I answered to a very very old post...
Post on civinfo.
https://www.civinfo.com/threads/garmin-sat-nav-update-failed.431656/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 01:07:07 PM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything