Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201272 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
Jocko: do you have the spare wheel/jack/first aid kit in the back?
I do indeed.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
Purely for convenience I went back to Morrisons, but wished I hadn't, as I slipped and fell on the forecourt. Feeling very sore now. When a 6 foot tall, 18 stone man falls all his length, there are inevitably consequences. Luckily I was still able to drive the short distance home.

Hope you're not too damaged Jocko, take care!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Thanks. I am not too bad today. Everything just merges in with my usual aches and pains!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
Purely for convenience I went back to Morrisons, but wished I hadn't, as I slipped and fell on the forecourt. Feeling very sore now. When a 6 foot tall, 18 stone man falls all his length, there are inevitably consequences. Luckily I was still able to drive the short distance home.

Ouch - hope you're  OK. 

Was it Diesel combined water that you slipped on ? A lethal combination more slippery than ice on Teflon.  I have had some fun in the past with that mixture,  on foot (garage forecourts ) in car and motorbike (on junctions and islands). If it was some substance on the floor they are liable.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
I don't think it was anything other than my slippy shoes and the wet forecourt. I was between the shop and the pumps when I went down. Shoes went straight in the bin when I came home. It was my own fault. I knew the Clarks shoes were slippy in the wet, as I have skidded about in the past. I stopped wearing them in the wet for that reason. It was dry when I put them on and when the rain started I should have changed them. The soles were worn smooth, but they were so comfortable (like wearing slippers), that I hung on to them.
I am none the worse for wear this morning. Thanks.

guest7934

« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Hi all, new member with an '03 1.4 SE manual, best yet is 56.6  :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
Hi, Andy. That's good numbers. What do you do to get good mpg?

guest7941

« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »
Mine’s around 46mpg  Any advice what needs to be change and check? I just bought this car.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »
Welcome.
Is that figure from the on board read-out which reads about 5% high?
46mpg isn't too bad, one of the biggest influences on fuel consumption is your right foot plus type of use. Is most of your mileage in town or on main roads?
Regular servicing is essential for good fuel consumption,correct tyre pressures and, of course, the general health of the car.
Does the car have a good service history?

Vic.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 04:08:05 PM by VicW »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. My first couple of fill ups were around about that figure, but once I got used to the car the numbers started to go up. The dashboard display is reasonable up to a point, but only over a complete tankful. I find mine is about 2 - 3% optimistic. The best bet is to calculate the figure. Fill your tank, note the odometer reading, drive until tank is nearly empty, then fill tank back up. Calculate from litres to fill the tank and miles covered just what mpg you are getting. You can use a site like SpritMonitor https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/ to calculate and store your numbers.
How you drive makes a huge difference to your mpg. Every time you use the brakes you have wasted petrol getting to that speed. Anticipation, and lifting off early, saves petrol. I also keep my tyre pressures up. I run at 35 psig, front and rear.
If you have just got the car, unless you know otherwise it is a fair bet that the rear plugs haven't been changed for a spell (i-DSi has 8 spark plugs Dual Spark ignition).
Here's wishing you well with your new car. The Jazz is a great little machine.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #235 on: September 10, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Just picking up on your onboard computer being 2 to 3% optimistic Jocko. I think that reflects your smooth driving style. I've noticed the computer is more accurate on long journeys than it is in my usual round town in traffic routine. Mine can be 10% out down to 5% on tanks reflecting a long journey.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
The first few months with my car i experimented a bit and noticed a huge difference between proper garages eg shell/esso and supermarket fuel.I now pay the extra 10-15 pence or so a gallon and have good fuel everytime.

Last Saturday i drove from my home in Dorset via somerset to pick a mate and up to huddersfield and back in a day,filled up when we got there having driven nice and steady and with no traffic probs and had got over  53mpg.
 The plan worked perfectly and gave me a combined 45.5mpg over the whole trip having driven quicker home!

520 miles in a day it was and is the furthest i have driven for years and this little car really does continue to impress me,great little car!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
I now pay the extra 10-15 pence or so a gallon
You are lucky you only have to pay 10 - 15 pence per gallon. I have to pay that extra per litre.
I found I got one or two mpg better using Shell (not the most recent time though), but there was no way I could justify the extra cost.

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:35 PM »
or maybe we are unlucky the supermarkets dont go cheaper? i chuck their diesel in my vw van no problem!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
or maybe we are unlucky the supermarkets dont go cheaper?
That may well be the case. I pay £1.267/litre at the supermarket and £1.399/litre from the Shell station. The supermarket price is up a couple of pence per litre just now, as the big Asda filling station is closed for a huge refurbishing programme. The other supermarkets don't have much competition!

Tags: