Author Topic: Jazz 2017 SE questions about beeps  (Read 6419 times)

guest284

Jazz 2017 SE questions about beeps
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
Just picked up my nearly new Jazz and have a couple of questions.
Should the car give warning beeps if I drive without putting on my seat belt. The seat belt warning sign does come on.  My old Jazz gave 6 beeps.

Also should it beep when I am in reverse? The parking sensors beep when I reverse into my drive next to a wall but if I reverse down the road it is quiet.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Jazz 2017 SE questions about beeps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I think you will find that the parking sensors are on the corners so they also detect anything near the sides of the vehicle. This is useful on occasions.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
I occasionally drove a van fitted with parking sensors, and it was disconcerting when it beeped as you reversed between parked cars. Especially as they were brand new virgin motors, ready for their owners to pick up the second the new reg came into force!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
Should the car give warning beeps if I drive without putting on my seat belt. The seat belt warning sign does come on.  My old Jazz gave 6 beeps.
I'm pretty sure there is an audible alarm if a seat is occupied but the belt isn't buckled. I have a regular elderly passenger who insists on releasing his belt whilst I'm still manoeuvring the car into a parking space, and I always have to explain why the car has beeped.
Also should it beep when I am in reverse? The parking sensors beep when I reverse into my drive next to a wall but if I reverse down the road it is quiet.
The car won't beep just because you're in reverse and travelling backwards. Both front and rear parking sensors will beep and you'll see a dashboard warning if there's anything in range of them, which can be beside you as well as directly in front/behind. It can get quite annoying when parallel-parking into a space that's large enough for the car but small enough that both front and rear sensors sound off simultaneously.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
The parking sensors are good and give a heads up to potential obstructions, but don't rely on them. I have never heard the seatbelt alarm unless caused by a passenger. I learned to drive in Australia long before seatbelts were a requirement in the UK. The penalties for not wearing them were stiff so I got into the habit of putting my belt on before starting the car, and have done so ever since. This habit did amuse some people on my return to the UK before belts were required.

EDIT

I had to turn my sensors off for a while during the recent snow, the front ones alarm continuously when they get a coating of the white stuff.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:07:23 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
In 1968 we got an Austin 1800 fitted with front seat belts, and I have worn them, religiously, ever since. I too buckle up before turning on the ignition. I have even been laughed at for inadvertently fastening my belt, between opening the garage door and reversing in!

guest284

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies, especially Deeps. I drove in the snow and there was a terrible screeching noise which really panicked me.  Now I know what it was.
There is definitely no seatbelt warning sound but as I always wear one I don’t think it is worth taking it back to the garage.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:13:36 PM »
If a seat belt is not inserted there should be a series of three or four audible dings.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »
I think the audible alarm is speed triggered, about 10 mph (ish).

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
I think the audible alarm is speed triggered, about 10 mph (ish).
Hmm. It would be extremely unusual for me to drive a car without wearing my seat belt. I even put the belt back on when I have had to stop in the road and get out to move my wheely bin that the stupid bin men have left in the middle of my drive. I have reversed the car out my garage without putting the belt on if I'm doing maintenance or want to get at the cupboards but I wouldn't reach 10mph doing that.

Yet I'm sure I've heard the ding ding ding.

If I remember I'll do some experiments tomorrow but it's going to be very hard to remember not to put my belt on :)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
Shouldn't the multi-function display show the reason for the warning noises. I'm sure it shows a seatbelt symbol if the car thinks that a seat is occupied and belt not fastened.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »
The MFD shows the rear seatbelt status, the front belts have a red logo in the speedo dial.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:28:36 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:56 AM »
My GD gives 6 loud beeps while displaying the seat belt warning on the rev counter. The beeping then stops, but the light stays on until you buckle up.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:22:30 AM »
Definitely no beeping if you don't move off. Just the red light on the dash. Forgot test if you get beeping when you unbuckle after the car has been driven. But Deeps is right that simply starting the car without a belt on doesn't cause it to beep.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »
Initially the small seatbelt warning light will be on, further to that if you drive a small distance the warning beeper will sound with the additional warning symbol in the RH meter display.

Tags: