Author Topic: New Head Unit/Infotainment  (Read 968 times)

zesty_bum

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
New Head Unit/Infotainment
« on: Today at 02:26:38 PM »
Good afternoon

Hope you’re all well.

I’ve had a taste for Apple CarPlay whilst I was galavanting around in a hr-v, and I loved it  :P

I’m wondering what infotainment systems jazz owners are using and/or recommend?

I was recommended the Alpine iLX-705D in a thread a few months ago, and I really like the look of it, however quote including fitting was around 900 GBP, which is a bit out of reach for me with the cost of living these days! I could justify it if it’s below 500 GBP. (I’m not considering a reverse camera).

Would love to read your recommendations/experiences. Thanks in advance

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: New Head Unit/Infotainment
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:28:43 PM »
The built in infotainment system is absolutely useless. I just use it to check the time  >:(

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:05:25 PM »
I’ve just removed my Alpine iLX705D and replaced it with a Chinese Joying unit and I’m very pleased with it. I’ll provide a few reasons why I swapped.

1. Alpine screen is small by current standards and it never quite looked factory fitted using the Connects2 fascia
2. Several unexplained crashes.
3. Navigation on wireless CarPlay was useless, Alpine is one of the few manufacturers that require the speed sensor wire to be connected and I couldn’t find where to connect it, trawled the internet for weeks on end & got nowhere. Without that connected GPS signal was frequently being lost and made the navigation useless.

By contrast the Joying unit was better in many ways.
1. Cheaper, much less than your £500
2. Easy to fit, totally plug & play, no soldering or cutting wires.
3. Bigger & better screen
4. Better looking and ‘more factory’
5. Better integration with the car.
6. Navigation works flawlessly when using wireless CarPlay, no need for speed sensor.
7. Native Android system, so more versatile.

Takes about an 1-2 hours to remove the existing radio and install the new one if you don’t need a reverse camera.

Ordered via AliExpress on a weekend after discussing my requirements by messages, unit was dispatched from China on the following Tuesday after they configured it to my car and incredibly after a journey from China via, India and Dubai to Heathrow, delivered to me in Lancashire on Friday of the same week via FedEx and delivery was free, incredible! I have contacted them a couple of times with questions after purchase and they reply quickly.

The only disadvantage is no onboard DAB  but that sounds rubbish anyway so I wasn’t bothered. If you want DAB you can add a USB version for £20 or so.
I found adapters for the Honda GPS antenna, which was factory fitted even though I don’t have NAV. The unit comes with built in FM aerial and USB adapters to pick up the factory loom.

If you are near me I’d gladly fit it for you or if you want further details let me know.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:30:39 PM by UKjim »

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:38:52 PM »
Wow this sounds amazing, hats off to you for doing the research!

Would you mind sharing some pictures/videos? Would love to see the end result. Have you had it long enough to have a list of pros and cons? Overall it sounds impressive.

I’ve ordered a few bits and bobs from Ali Express - impressed with the delivery and comms from sellers on the platform. Which seller did you use on Ali Express?

I’m from Manchester, but currently settled in Berkshire. Whereabouts are you based?

zesty_bum

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:40:31 PM »
Your “pros” are pretty exhaustive actually  :) any cons? Sounds like it needs some configuration from the seller in order for it to work

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
New Head Unit/Infotainment
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:39:27 PM »
I'm in Greater Manchester.

Installed about 2 weeks ago and installed another in my friend's car last weekend, he also removed his Alpine for the same reasons as me.

Not really explored all the features of the Android side as I use it on CarPlay all the time, but the range of applications is immense on Android. Haven't really noticed any negatives up to now other than the fact that the RHD version of the faceplate does not have a cutout for the passenger SRS warning light, I simply connected it and left it behind the fascia, it annoyed me anyway. This will not fail an MOT as a lot of cars don't even have this feature, my MX-5 for one.

Sound quality is every bit as good as the Alpine or maybe a little better. I'll take a few photos tomorrow.

You need to order directly from the JOYING store on AliExpress, current price is around £300. I sent them a message with a photo of the rear of my Honda headunit so they knew how to configure the unit for me & include the correct loom and CANBUS controller. Everything was plug & play and it worked straight out of the box. I will attach a photo of the rear of the Honda HU in case you don't have one.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:47:20 PM by UKjim »

Tags:

anything