Author Topic: AA Breakdown Cover - worth a haggle  (Read 26053 times)

Beaver

• Approved Member
AA Breakdown Cover - worth a haggle
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
I've had my Jazz since 2012 and have been breakdown-covered by the Honda supplied cover.   I suspended my AA membership on buying the car, but it had less than a month to go on it.

Coming to the end of my Honda cover, I phoned to re-activate the AA cover and sort out some more for the coming year.   Quoted £225, I pointed out that a new AA member would only have to pay £100 for the same cover.   I asked how long I would need to let my cover lapse for before the AA would consider me a new customer and was told that they could possibly negotiate a lower price for me if I left because their cover was too expensive.

Now quoted £115, I said that the extra £15 would buy me a fair few miles of petrol, so after "consultation", they reduced the price to £100, matching the new member price.

Not boasting, but just to say it might be worth a nice calm phone call if you're renewing with the AA.   My hat is doffed to them for demonstrating flexibility.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
Re: AA Breakdown Cover - worth a haggle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
My dealer extended the Honda Happiness Cover for another year on my 3rd service, and as long as you have services from them they keep extending the Honda cover,  free!!!!!!!
This is for the breakdown/recovery cover, not a Warranty extension.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:30:25 AM by bill ericay »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:07:52 AM »
same here having my service as we speak and another year of honda breakdown free with it and 35 quid mot

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »
My thanks to  Monkeydave, Bill ericay and Beaver as the question of breakdown cover will be raising it's ugly head.
When I bought our Jazz it came with a package including breakdown cover. At the time we had been with the RAC for several years and paying for what they called a special for blue badge holders.
I mentioned to the Honda dealer that we had cover and he got quite assertive and suggested we cancel the RAC as two breakdown covers was likely to cause difficulties ( I have no idea if this is fact ) however as the Honda cover seemed better, the RAC was contacted. With 6 months left on the years subscription we were told A) NO we could not just suspend it B) there would be no refund and C)  got really sniffy.
So when the Honda deal runs out we will have to think long and hard, consider the AA's flexibility or continue with Honda's servicing if the breakdown cover will be included, as at the time of the RAC cancellation we were paying over £135 pa, which will go a long way towards a service.
As an aside with the dealer that the car came from if you have the car serviced by them the MOT is free, so that's another  £45 saved.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
As much as I dislike any main dealer's service department, having the Jazz serviced at a dealer does make financial sense.

Free MOT (45 squid) free AA cover (pick any price you like from 100 squid upwards) makes the service free/almost free.

I always enclose a letter documenting exactly what I want (and more importantly) don't want doing. I have had to sling a few letters to my dealers head office, but its always worked out well for us in the end.

No brainer really.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:24:12 PM »
What, exactly, does the Honda AA breakdown cover do for you ?
Is it basic roadside breakdown or is it a recovery to home cover ?
I have looked through the mountain of paperwork that my car came with but can find no explanation.

I have cover for recovery with Brittania Rescue anyway and no they will not suspend the policy or refund on it either.

Vic.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
What, exactly, does the Honda AA breakdown cover do for you ?<snip>

The works. Breakdown, home cover, recovery. Not sure about hotel/hire car but I think its there (the policy is in the car, the car is in the garage, and I ain't going out there at this time of night)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
i dont think it covers home start but does everything else

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:33 AM »
Breakdown cover seems like one of the few things worth using Tesco Clubcard vouchers for (or lunches at Cafe Rouge).

RAC: Single: Roadside assistance for £18 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Joint: Roadside assistance for £26 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Family: Roadside assistance for £47 when you use Clubcard vouchers.

RAC: Single: Roadside + Recovery cover for £32 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Joint: Roadside + Recovery cover for £40 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Family: Roadside + Recovery cover for £62 when you use Clubcard vouchers.

RAC: Single: Roadside + Recovery + Onward Travel cover for £45 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Joint: Roadside + Recovery + Onward Travel cover for £52 when you use Clubcard vouchers.
RAC: Family: Roadside + Recovery + Onward Travel cover for £75 when you use Clubcard vouchers.

Joint Roadside cover:You and one other member of the household can be covered as drivers or passengers in any vehicle under this type of roadside assistance. So, you can each rest assured if you breakdown or have a flat tyre.

Family Roadside cover:You’re not the only one who’s safe with this version of Rescue cover; it applies to you and up to 4 other named members of your household as drivers or passengers in any vehicle.

Recovery:If your vehicle can’t be repaired locally, the RAC will take you and up to 7 others to any UK mainland destination.

Onward Travel cover:The RAC will ensure that your travel plans are not seriously interrupted if your car cannot complete the journey. They will provide you with a replacement vehicle for up to 3 days; or overnight accommodation; or alternative transport costs.

--
TG

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »

I had the "Honda Happiness" (or whatever its bloody called) AA come to the house only 4 weeks ago, so yes it does cover home start

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
I had another look through the paper bumf and discovered that it is called 'Hondacare Assistance' and covers the whole nine yards including assistance at home through to European cover.
Thanks for the replies.

Vic.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Hi,
You can download an app from the app store which in an emergency gives you breakdown or accident assistance with one click, as your phone knows where you are you don't need togive any info,
Chris

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »

I had the "Honda Happiness" (or whatever its bloody called) AA come to the house only 4 weeks ago, so yes it does cover home start

that is honda happiness which includes honda brakedown during your warranty period, honda brakedown for free is roadside only

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 11:27:15 PM »

that is honda happiness which includes honda brakedown during your warranty period, honda brakedown for free is roadside only

It does say "roadside" but it doesn't specifically exclude home and it doesn't (as I think AA etc do) specify a distance the car must be from home.

It does specify UK only, so don't use this if you're travelling elsewhere in Europe!

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 01:36:35 AM »
I use GEM motorassist. Voted No.1 by autoexpress. It's good coverage and inexpensive.

Tags:

anything