Author Topic: Hi. I'm new here. Recently bought Honda Jazz, already have issues -(((  (Read 1876 times)

paul_jj

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
My name is Paul, this is the first car for my missus. Honda Jazz 2005

The RPM is not stable at idle and check engine light popped up after just a few days owning a car. Can I disconnect the battery to reset the ECU or would that trigger any other problems for me? Also the driver's side window won't shut on the auto mode, but fine on the manual mode... it goes half way through on the auto mode and then goes all the way down on it's own...

I also want to service the car, what oil do you recommend, what filters do you use? What kind of pollen filter do you use?

I had Toyota, Mitsubishi and currently drive a Subaru myself, but always heard a lot of positive feedback about Honda.

Thank you.
Paul

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Hi. I'm new here. Recently bought Honda Jazz, already have issues -(((
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:18:31 PM »
Hi Paul,

I've got a 2003 1.4 SE, I just used what I could get cheap to service mine, I used Elf fully synthetic 5w30 A5 spec oil (Evolution 900 SXR), Comline oil & pollen filters, Mann air filter and Borg & Beck brakes discs and pads. They weren't the cheapest available but they were the cheapest I had confidence in, they all seem fine and work perfectly but I'm sure there will be better quality stuff out there, at a price.

I don't know about the idle/engine light, could it be EGR valve related? Plenty posts about them.

Mine has been recalled twice to replace the driver side window switch panel, don't know if that's your problem there.

Good luck,
Mick

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:33:20 PM »
The window switch assembly recall was for assemblies overheating.
The up/down problem is not uncommon and is caused by the window runners needing lubrication. What happens is that the window jams in the runners and the jamming protection operates and the window opens. This is a mechanism that prevents little fingers getting caught in the window as it closes.
Open the window and spray the vertical runners with a silicone aerosol spray or other oil spray then work the window up and down.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
The window switch assembly recall was for assemblies overheating.
The up/down problem is not uncommon and is caused by the window runners needing lubrication. What happens is that the window jams in the runners and the jamming protection operates and the window opens. This is a mechanism that prevents little fingers getting caught in the window as it closes.
Open the window and spray the vertical runners with a silicone aerosol spray or other oil spray then work the window up and down.

Vic.

You really need a dry silicon or PTFE spray for window runners as oily sprays can cause swelling and attract dirt ( especially our old friend WD40 ),  actually furniture polish spray works well as they contain beeswax or similar and dry quite quickly and don't attract dirt.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
If it works in manual then you may need to relearn the auto settings. Close the window manually then hold the button down for 5 seconds.

paul_jj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:37:43 AM »
Hi everyone.

Yes, the window works manually, I was able to lift it up manually just fine, but it looks like some lubricating can be useful indeed.

I bought a scanner and found the error code it's ignition related as I expected. P0304 Powertrain - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected - Random Misfire Detected.

I believe the ignition leads would have to be replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is there any manuals about how to replace the oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, air filter on these cars? I'm sure it's a basic task and easy to do, just want to have a look first so I could locate it easily. How much oil do I need for these engines? My 1.3 Starlet was taking 2.8 L of oil, so I would assume about 2.5 L ish since it's 1.3L as well -)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:20:20 AM »
Haynes manual!  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 08:29:28 AM »
I bought a scanner and found the error code it's ignition related as I expected. P0304 Powertrain - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected - Random Misfire Detected.

I believe the ignition leads would have to be replaced?
Or maybe the back row of plugs haven't been changed for a very long time.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
I have the Haynes manual and it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Better info to be found here and using Google. The handbook that came with the car gives basic instruction, including capacities. Engine oil takes 3.6 litres when you change the filter, 3.4 litres without the filter. Pollen filter is just a case of pulling the shelf out of the glove box (I didn't even empty mine), and the fuel filter is best left alone unless you get low fuel pressure measurements. It requires a partial strip and rebuild of the fuel tank. The plugs don't have HT leads as such. Each plug has an individual coil mounted directly on it. Rear four plugs are seldom changed (many mechanics don't even know they are there).
Jazz manual can be found from this code 32SAA650 and a reasonable manual can be found here http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html
with great parts identification here https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »
The oil filter is easy to change. It is located at the front of the engine, low down. Just behind the bumber. Don't even need to jack the car up. The drain plug is about 12 inches behind it.
 I also change the air filter while the oil is draining.
 For the pollen filter, inside the glove box there are two tabs at the top that need to be firmly pressed upwards. You can then withdraw the glovebox. The housing for the pollen filter can be then seen. Simply pull the tray forwards towards you to remove the filter.

Tags: