Author Topic: Demist control  (Read 2350 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Demist control
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Hi,
My jazz is a 2011 cvt and I like everything about it apart from the heater direction control. Instead of a knob you turn to the required position you have a glass porthole showing the selection and you have to scroll through the settings to get the one you want. This means you have to actually take your eyes off the road and look at it, not good. Then you find that you cannot just have demist but a combination of up and down which is not very effective. In despairation you press the demist button then turn down the fan speed before you freeze😕. I've noticed that for some reason my car is prone to windscreen misting, must be a feature of the model. Last moan is that I am not allowed to tow legally Why? Unable to find a sensible answer,
Chris

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Demist control
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
Hi,
My jazz is a 2011 cvt and I like everything about it apart from the heater direction control. Instead of a knob you turn to the required position you have a glass porthole showing the selection and you have to scroll through the settings to get the one you want. This means you have to actually take your eyes off the road and look at it, not good. Then you find that you cannot just have demist but a combination of up and down which is not very effective. In despairation you press the demist button then turn down the fan speed before you freeze😕. I've noticed that for some reason my car is prone to windscreen misting, must be a feature of the model. Last moan is that I am not allowed to tow legally Why? Unable to find a sensible answer,
Chris

Yeah - replacing tactile controls with touch screens in vehicles is a grouse of mine as well,  I liked it when you could set the heat and fan speed and direction with nice big controls,  and once set they stayed where you put them.  Now what you do is either have auto climate control where the car does everything badly including choosing the vents and fan speed for you,  or you use manual,  which is not really manual any more because you still have a 'set temperature' - which means the vents blow red hot for the first few miles and then get colder and colder until after a few miles her indoors is complaining about 'cold draughts' from the vents, sure enough you put your had there and it is blowing cold air - I liked it better when you set the temperature of the air you wanted to blow from the vents with a truly manual knob and it stayed at that temperature,  trouble is there are temperature sensors in the car which once they get required temperature will dial down the air blowing out of vents to colder than ambient if they feel like it.  I would like either 'full auto'  or 'full manual' - but what you now get is a pseudo manual that only lets you do what the car wants you to ( bit like Windows 10 ).  The only button worth diddly-squat is the 'auto demist button' - which only has one task to do, turn on aircon and blow dry air up the screen at full fan speed'....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
Chris - on the windscreen misting it's been an issue on all my Jazzes. 2 Mk 2s and my current car, a Mk3. That said the rate of clearance is very good with the aircon on and set to the screen boost position (actually on the dial on the SE trim).

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
Of four Jazz's over thirteen years I have never had problems with managing the air conditioning system be it manual or climate control.
I never switch the aircon off, it is there to be used in both warm or colder weather.
I do not use the climate control version in automatic however, I do not like the fan speeds or air flow direction that it selects. I use it in manual therefore the temperature is still automatic but I select face/feet airflow in the summer and feet/screen in the colder weather. I use fan speed three or three bars.I have never had problems with misting.
The aircon is serviced every two years.
I appreciate that some people do not like the dry air that aircon produces, select recirculate now and again to build the humidity up but be aware this may cause misting on cold/damp days, then reselect outside air.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
I did an experiment with one of those inside / outside thermometers ( with one of the temperature sensors in a probe on end of a cable ). In manual with ambient around 20 cabin temp set to 20 deg, poked the probe down a vent and starting from cold monitored the temperature of air coming out of vents, after less than half a mile I was up to over 50deg C after a few miles it was dropping rapidly and got down to about 16deg, you could fool it to keep blowing warm air by continually tweaking the set temperature upwards, and the cabin got hotter until the temp sensor got to temp, and then it would blow cold air again.  I would just like it to blow warm air, at the temperature me and her indoors find agreeable and not a cold draught,  is it too much to ask..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
I appreciate that some people do not like the dry air that aircon produces, select recirculate now and again to build the humidity up but be aware this may cause misting on cold/damp days, then reselect outside air.

If aircon is switched on it will still dry the air in recirculate mode as the air sucked from cabin still passes over same heat exchangers as when the air is sucked in from outside the car,  in fact in recirc the air could get even drier as the recirculated air repeatedly passes over the heat exchanger - the only way to raise humidity in the cabin is to turn aircon off.  My sinuses definitely suffer on longer journeys with aircon turned on so unless it is really hot and humid the aircon stays off except for shorter jaunts of less than say an hour.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
Unfortunately when air is recirculating it still effectively goes outside the cabin as it passes over the cooling coils.  This will have the effect of removing moisture rather than building up humidity.  Try sitting it on your drive with the air recirculating and watch the moisture drip from the underside of the car.

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Unfortunately when air is recirculating it still effectively goes outside the cabin as it passes over the cooling coils.  This will have the effect of removing moisture rather than building up humidity.  Try sitting it on your drive with the air recirculating and watch the moisture drip from the underside of the car.

True - recirculation reduces humidity (and temperature) more rapidly.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 03:10:12 AM »
Last moan is that I am not allowed to tow legally Why? Unable to find a sensible answer,
Chris

Tow a trailer or tow the car?
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

chrisv

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »
Tow a trailer

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »
One line replies are not very useful to those trying to help you.  Honda, to the best of my knowledge, don't make motoring laws, but they must have good reason to give you that advice.  Maybe if you gave us an idea of the context it would help as I have never heard that before.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
It would appear from the manual supplied with my car that the Mk 1 CVT was allowed to tow a trailer.
I can only assume that CVT problems that lead to reduction in CVT service intervals may also have thrown up failures related to the CVT and towing. This may be why Mk 2 and later models are not documented for towing a trailer.
Towing, against Honda's recommendations, could void insurance, so if you intend risking towing then speak to your insurer first.

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 08:39:58 PM »
There is a huge amount of information in the Mk2 Owners Manual about towing a trailer (including use of CVT) which I would count as essential reading.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
Towing a CVT or any automatic with the drive wheels on the ground is not advised because the transmission is never really disconnected from the engine ( like it is with a manual gearbox in neutral ) and you are trying to 'back drive' the transmission and engine and it causes major damage.  But as for towing a trailer or anything else with a CVT what does the handbook say ?

Tags:

anything