Author Topic: service costs!!!  (Read 6455 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
service costs!!!
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
hi all
just a quick point of interest had my jazz serviced and mot today at my local honda dealer car has done 37000 miles 2010 i shift I pay £19 month honda used car 3yr warranty that covers 1 yearly service, free mot, and 1yrs aa cover each year for the maximum 3 yrs today, they asked me if I wanted to upgrade  the oil from synthetic to fully synthetic  £22, they then offered a brake fluid change £60. both options declined, they then offered an upgrade for the FREE!!! courtesy car insurance for £12, declined and finally rang me to say that the front drop link  was worn  and would replace for MOT @ £130.0 the drop link it not covered under warranty (surprise) is this a bit pricy?? or am I just being a skinflint?? I do not have the means to do the drop link  myself but if I take the care away and have it done elsewhere they tell me there is a re test fee  i do a get free mot each year from them as long as i have the car serviced, as i see the service is basic no plugs, air or cabin filter is this all worth it???? whats the forums thoughts I would be interested thanks all

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: service costs!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »
Seems to me that there is an awful amount of "upselling" going on here. On the drop link, I tend to think the cheaper option will be to let the dealer do it and retain the MOT that you have already paid for with your service plan. I had one done on a Civic at an independent a few years ago now and I think they charged £110.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
With a service package, I would at least expected 3 years servicing to the correct schedule, not just an oil change.

As for droplinks not covered under warranty, what's that all about? What else isn't covered?

£130.00 for a droplink replacement sounds expensive to me, but I am a skinflint. I wouldn't fit genuine parts unless the price was comparable to a good quality aftermarket part, such as Delphi. It's not hard to understand where the rest of the bill comes from when main dealers charge £80-£100 per hour for labour.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 07:44:06 PM »
In my view a good warranty should cover all parts, that are not classed as normal 'wear & tear' 
Tyres, Brake pads and discs, Batteries, Oils, Filters and the like, are just a normal part of motoring, all other parts should be covered.

I'm not familiar with the drop link design, but again in my view any drop link should do substantially more than 37k miles. Nowadays an average annual mileage must be in the order of 10k per year, or 30k for a 3 year warranty.
Certainly it is for me and I would certainly go to bat on that one!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:46:58 PM by Kenneve »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
I'm not familiar with the drop link design, but again in my view any drop link should do substantially more than 37k miles.

They're certainly nothing special, just a standard longish metal rod drop link design. £19 for a Delphi part, £9 for a cheap nasty one. 5 minutes to replace once it's up on the ramp.

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »
Hi, know post is on service costs within packages at Honda dealers...but have you considered using local independent garage (last full service-including fluids etc- & MOT cost just over £200.00)? Just a thought.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:48:21 PM »
My local dealer tries to get me to change the rear shocks as they said they were leaking and get me to do buy a service plan. I told them I will be changing my car soon and would get back to them. Took car out to local independent and said no leak at all!  Luckily my MOT wasn't due.

May I suggest you inspect the drop links before having them replaced.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:14:31 PM by 123Drive! »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »
123 makes an excellent point above.

Is the  drop link knocking? They soon let you know they need replacing, if you're not deaf, and will knock before any play is detectable in the joints. Rubbers rarely fail. It's a nice easy job to extract a extra bit of money.

I've seen the shocker trick before too, they sometimes see a bit of condensation on the shocker shaft and pass it off as oil misting.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:54:21 AM by sparky Paul »

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 03:00:24 PM »
As said above. You will normally hear a knocking before it needs replacing.
I'd personally take the car and get it done somewhere else providing it's not failed it's MOT on that.
Sounds like there just trying to extract more money from you. There hour rate is prob £100 /hr and a decent mechanic is almost half that.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:24 PM »
There hour rate is prob £100 /hr and a decent mechanic is almost half that.

My MOT man charges £35/hour to trade (and me when I pass work his way), £40/hour to the general public, and he knows his onions.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
There hour rate is prob £100 /hr and a decent mechanic is almost half that.

My MOT man charges £35/hour to trade (and me when I pass work his way), £40/hour to the general public, and he knows his onions.

Scandalous, mind you, that cup of coffee the dealer offers you puts the price up, when I go to get my MOTs from an independent I have to buy my own coffee ....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2017-04/garage-labour-rates-vary-by-gbp160-per-hour-according-to-new-report/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »
We have a load of Polish mechanics in independent garages around here, and they are brilliant. Garages are immaculate and prices are excellent.

kevinivtec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
thanks joko
I had a survey from honda regarding the service I received I told them fairly what I thought £130 for a drop link on a car under warranty only 30 thou on the clock , I then rang my local honda dealer and spoke to the main manager for the group he would not comment on anything  as i have contacted honda directly in writing myself to complain I asked where it says in the warranty that its not covered, he said it says quite clearly it is as they consider it to be a wear and tear item,  he said what do you expect from a car that is 9 years old??? i said it has only done 30 thou miles I would expect better , i said i was thinking of buying a new jazz next year would he be willing to say goodbye to me spending 17 thousand or be fair or refund me £130 because you say its wear and tear , or as i said the insurance wriggle out clause  "an act of god" he would not make a comment as soon as the car is out of warranty I will service it myself as I well capable, i have next year a honda 12 plus service the only extra they do it change the cabin and air filter, they would have been in there for 3 yrs if i did not do it myself,  they quoted £60 for a brake fluid change even my local  independent garage quoted me £29.0  honda are shooting themselves in the foot, again thanks for you great input ito this site it is much appreciated thank you

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
he said what do you expect from a car that is 9 years old???

The cheeky bugger! I bet he didn't say that when he sold you the warranty package.

I would expect a warranty that fixes the car when it goes wrong. Wear and tear items are tyres and friction materials, brake rotors and batteries - even exhausts are covered on some manufacturer's warranties.

If he had said that before the work was done, I would have been tempted to get it tested elsewhere. Was the droplink knocking?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:23:47 AM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
Personally I think expecting any car maker to repair a droplink on a 9 year old car is stretching it,  they have no control over how the car is used and it may be regularly used in an area where the roads are littered with speed bumps or potholes ( in which case contact local council for repair costs ), the driver may be in the habit of bouncing up and down kerbs.

I am actually surprised cars last as long as they do these days,  it is a testament to the great engineering applied to design and build.  What other piece of complicated equipment could you hand over to a massively diverse group of people ( some with great mechanical sympathy and knowledge and some who treat their very badly and if it was not for the yearly MOT the car would be completely unroadworthy and dangerous in less than the 9 years yours has lasted so far ).

There has to be some kind of statute of limitations on what is fair wear and tear, and I reckon 9 years is really pushing it - but don't cut your nose off to spite your face because the Jazz is still a very reliable and trouble-free vehicle compared with many others.....

As far as service costs are concerned use a local independent and build up a relationship, or do it yourself which is what I do for majority of things - but to be honest with two Hondas in the family not much really needs doing except normal service jobs like oil and filter changes. 

Celebrate the quality of Honda, you could be a lot worse off.....

Never take your car to a main stealer for MOT,  they have a vested interest in finding something wrong, we have a local MOT place that only does MOT and they have no vested interest to create jobs as long as they get their MOT fee.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:29:18 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: