Author Topic: update on service costs advice??  (Read 1247 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
update on service costs advice??
« on: August 30, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
 hi all regarding my post service costs at honda dealer I wrote to honda regarding the cost of fitting a drop link @ £130
 and their up selling as to date i have had no written reply from them so today which is the second time i rang them to ask what was happening  , they told me that  basically they said it was not a manufacturing fault and directed me back to the  dealership, they would contact me within 72 hrs, to which within 20mins i had a phone call from the director at the dealership, this is what he offered, he said if i was to buy a new car from them in the next 12 months they would give me double the value of that link I had replaced £260 off a new car, I stated I was not intrested I said i would continue with the service warranty plan but on the next service if it failed MOT i would take the car away and have it repaired independently and return it for re-test within 10 days, he stated that if i did that and brought it back they would then charge me  the full mot fee as the used car honda warranty states that if i do not have a genuine honda part fitted even if it is not a part under waranty and take it away they will charge a full mot fee!!! i feel they have me between a rock and hard shoulder they call the shots they decide if its under warranty if its not you pay the full price for fitting take it away you pay another full mot test fee, I pay £19.99 a month for the warranty/ honda 12 service and aa cover, would i be shooting myself in the foot cancelling it all??? for the last 12 months what would all you guys do in this situation I would appreciate your thoughts, honda customer service was useless not even the courtesy of a letter or phone call to advise or give any judgement, they just pointed me back to the dealership regards all for you input and advice!!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: update on service costs advice??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
AA are currently charging £8.50/month to cover a vehicle, anyone driving. If you feel that what Honda is giving you is not worth the balance, then cancel it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:35 PM »
Autoaid's prices have gone up, but they cover you and your spouse in any vehicle for £60 - and that is for full cover which includes your choice of recovery to any destination. If your Honda recovery is the same as ours, it only recovers you to a local garage, and only offers onward travel, and/or recovery to home or destination, if the car 'cannot be repaired in a reasonable time'. Replacement car is only provided if you have repairs done at a Honda dealership.

Incidentally, A family member has just had an experience with his similar Toyota breakdown cover package whilst on holiday, also provided by the AA. He's been so appalled by the service he received from the AA, that he is looking for another provider.

What's an oil change worth? Costs £20-30 if you do it yourself with a good fully synthetic and genuine filter, not sure what the going rate is to get that done. A fair MOT costs me £35.

As for a warranty, personally, I'll take my chances, but then my cars never see the inside of a garage, except at MOT time. This Jazz we've just bought will be the same. If you religiously have your car serviced at a main dealer, it would be fair to have a different view, although it appears that they have you over a barrel when it comes to work that's not covered by the warranty, or servicing required over and above the bare minimum. As I mention in the other thread, dealers are full of flannel, until they have secured your money.

It's not just main dealers, lots of garages invent work on MOTs. It's rife, and that's why I tell people to find someone they can trust, through personal recommendation or reviews, and stick with them. Charging for a retest is normal when a car leaves the testing centre for repairs, but many garages offer free retests at their own discretion.

At the end of the day, it's just as Jocko says. You have to weigh up what it's worth to you, and your aversion to the risk of a big repair. £240 a year for a warranty, including a MOT and basic breakdown cover, sounds reasonable, but there seems to be quite a few strings attached.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:26:17 PM by sparky Paul »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
Just get it done but ask them for a 10% discount. Warranty covers the I-SHIFT gearbox so don't cancel the warranty or service plan. Next year don't renew the plan. GEM motorassist and others provide better value  break down service. As for i-shift gearbox, if it breaks down, I had it repaired by independent mechanic for £330!. Without the service plan, you have more choices.
P.s. Did you tell the Director that you can get thousands off a Honda at Carwow?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:26:23 AM by 123Drive! »

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:59:39 AM »
I have an opinion on Honda main dealers and warranty. I have a 2012 jazz. At 2.5 years the battery failed. AA diagnosed it as shot. Honda wouldn't pay for it. Front pads seized in calliper carriers. Honda wouldn't pay under warranty. Year 3 prepaid service, wrong oil put in and brake fluid was ticked on service sheet as changed. It definitely was not. At 5 years old I decided to change it and the rubber caps were almost welded to the bleed nipples. Had never been removed from new. With new fluid brakes were so much better. A flappy noise under the front was from the plastic studs left out of the under engine splash guard. So much for Honda dealers. So yes, you can do an oil change with synthetic and genuine filter for less than £40, and yes new undertray studs too. I emailed Honest John to question the semi synthetic 5w 30 oil dealer had put in. He replied within 20 mins to recommend I replace it asap as the oilways in VTEC engines are so fine that it does indeed require 0W 20. So, I have since done all my own servicing. And it's a great little car !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »
Most car dealerships have a set time for a service , their charges to the customer  covers the free coffee & waiting are or even a customer service point lounge. Spanner workers never see anything like these charges per hour. Idf possible find a local independent garage who car about customers.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
Agree with cornishpasty- My late father was a VW fan but the service was awful. My mum's colleague's husband was a mechanic for British Gas and used to services cars and it was a breath of fresh air! I used to buy all the parts and you know they were all fitted, unlike main VW dealer! Plus he was honest so anything not required he would just leave it.

Hope you can sort this out soon, Kevinivtec. Get them replaced and hopefully next year you wouldn't be in this position again.

Tags:

anything