Author Topic: Excessive orange dust rear wheels.  (Read 1375 times)

Bob3957

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz i-VTEC ES
Excessive orange dust rear wheels.
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »
Hello.
 Hope someone can help as I'm a wee bit worried about the orange/rust coloured dust on my rear wheels.( Presuming this is brake dust?)
I've had my 2012 1.4 petrol Jazz for approx 4 years. I first noticed this excessive dust a few months ago.  I took the car to the garage to check the brakes, they put it up on a ramp and checked them and said brakes were fine.  They didn't seem to have any explanation as to why the dust was there but recommended I wash the wheels more often.  ::)
  I'm used to seeing orange dust on my front wheels but the rear wheels seem to be worse.  Any ideas?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Excessive orange dust rear wheels.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
After a bit of a run, stop gently then feel heat in rear wheels (be careful, they could be hot). A sticking brake will lead to a warm wheel.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
The Honda OEM rear discs do seem to rust excessively,  my wifes MK2 had 2 sets in 4 years that just basically rusted away, I then fitted Eicher discs and Brembo pads from Eurocarparts for less than half the price of genuine Honda and they have been absolutely fine ever since...  The rear slide pins and pad 'ears' are more likely to stick on rear brakes and cause problems due to the fact that the rear brakes cop a lot more crap than fronts ( some car makers still fit drums to rear because they are plenty powerful enough and basically maintenance free except maybe new shoes every 100,000 miles or so - and drums themselves last for ever, the other good thing about rear drums as a handbrake is the 'self-servo' effect of drum shoes, where once they contact the drum they tend to lever themselves into the drum harder as the drum tries to rotate ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:05 PM »
Thanks so much for the prompt replies.
 Jocko, I did go for a 5 mile drive earlier today and I didn't feel any heat in the wheels. Thanks for your help.
Culzean.  Very interesting answer, it sounds like it could be the problem. I will be delving into a bit further. Thanks for your help.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
Thanks so much for the prompt replies.
 Jocko, I did go for a 5 mile drive earlier today and I didn't feel any heat in the wheels. Thanks for your help.
Culzean.  Very interesting answer, it sounds like it could be the problem. I will be delving into a bit further. Thanks for your help.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10220.msg60882#msg60882

I posted photographs of wifes Jazz discs - the link should open thread at correct place but if not post is about half way down page 1 and it has PDF attachment.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 10:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the photo. Will check my discs in the morning and compare.  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Thanks for the photo. Will check my discs in the morning and compare.  :)

Hope they are not as bad as the ones in photo, a normal thin coat of rust after being washed or left in rain is usual but rubs off first time you apply brakes.  Believe it or not those discs passed MOT ( at a Honda dealer ) - the comment said 'rear discs rusted on surface but structurally sound' or similar  :o

Bob3957

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
I looked this morning and they're definitely nowhere near as bad as your ones. :o :o It sort of makes me feel safer to see what you had been driving about on...if you know what I mean.  ;)
  I will certainly keep in mind what you said about Eicher discs and Brembo pads. Thanks so much for your informative posts.  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
Bear in mind that rear brakes contribute  hardly anything to total braking effort, maybe 15%.  This is because when you brake the weight of vehicle shifts forward onto front wheels and load goes off rear tyres reducing amount of grip, rear brakes are smaller and have pressure reducing valves to reduce force on pads.  The rear brakes are mainly there as a handbrake,  which is why my wife's car passed MOT with them in that state. I got new discs and pads before MOT but decided to see what tester would do, and they passed.  If they had failed ( which is what I expected ) I could have replaced rear disc and pads and had the car back for re-test in a couple of days ).  As I said the Eicher / Brembo setup seems to work fine and discs stay shiny - don't ask me why, but i am happy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:16:02 AM by culzean »

Tags:

anything