Author Topic: CVT going downhill in reverse facing forward, any damage on transmission?  (Read 1497 times)

kokola

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz Mk2 1.4 CVT
Hello!

I have a 1.4 Mk2 Jazz with a CVT. I tried to find an answer to my question all over the internet but it seems that I am the only idiot that has ever done it.

When driving downhill a steep road approaching a beach in Croatia I had to straighten the car in a corner, stopping than going reverse and with the nose now straight continued to go downhill. When the nose was straight facing downhill I forgot to put the gear back to D from R, let the brakes and car rolled forward slowly just fine, I was braking the whole time. Only after 50 or so meters when I came to a flat ground I found out that the whole time I was rolling in reverse!

There were no strange sounds of anything, the car seems to be driving just fine now, I called a couple of Honda's service shops and asked them about the damage that might have occured, they all replied that if the car runs smoothly it should be OK.

Does any of you have any thoughts? How much damage could have been made on the CVT transmission?

Thanks for all the opinios and answers!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
I doubt that any damage has been done. Effectively you were freewheeling with the clutch doing nothing. What year is your Jazz?

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
The 2015 Jazz has a torque converter, so no damage will have been done. Just fluid slip, as the engine wasn't driving it.

kokola

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Hi,

thanks, the car year is 2015, one of the latest Mk2 (2008-2015) models. Since I cannot find any exact information on wheter these CVTs are driven by clutch or torque converter (@Jocko are you sure my model has a TC?) I have no idea how does reverse gear even engage. All I know is that I cannot idle without moving when in gear (D,S,L,R), the car would always creep on flat so in order to stay still I have to keep my foot on brake or put it in neutral.

I really hope I didn't destroy the tranny, I love our car so much.

I am no mechanic guy so I applogize for any stupid things I write.

I really appreciate any help from you forum members.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:10:09 PM by kokola »

VicW

• Approved Member
Since I cannot find any exact information on wheter these CVTs are driven by clutch or torque converter

The torque converter clutch was introduced for the early 2011 facelift when the CVT gearbox replaced the iShift gearbox.

Vic.

kokola

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
@VicW

thank you for the information. Since your car is basically identical to mine I really appreciate your help with experience on this regard.

You really think everything should be OK? I really worry, because the user manual strictly says that you must always come to a complete stop before changing gears from forward to reverse or vice versa. It also says that you must not hold the car while on hill using throttle only. It is true that I did not change gears while moving but still I did let the car go in wrong direction in wrong gear. If there was no harmful friction on moving parts, is it possible that the oil inside TC/clutch got overheated and hence compromised?

VicW

• Approved Member
I think that you can rest assured that no damage has been done to the torque converter. You only went 50m on a closed throttle. Had you opened the throttle the car would have come to a halt then tried to reverse. The torque converter is full of oil so no lack of lubrication.

Vic.

Tags:

anything