Author Topic: e-Scooters  (Read 1923 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
e-Scooters
« on: August 17, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
Saw a thing on e-Scooters on the telly today. I knew they were illegal to ride on anything other than private land, but I didn't know you can get 6 points on your driving licence for riding them on the road.

guest7494

Re: e-Scooters
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
are you thinking of a purchase ? would be interesting the mileage on a single charge if of course they were legal on the road.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
We are talking about one of these:

At 71 I would look the part going down to Lidl on an e-Scooter.

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
I see the Chinese have, this week, launched a semi autonomous e scooter ........which will take you to the nearest charging point. Seriously!

guest7494

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
are you thinking of a purchase ? would be interesting the mileage on a single charge if of course they were legal on the road.

Hi Jocko I was only kidding you, but not much room for Lidls shopping bags anyway. And at 81 I would look even more ridiculous.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
I would like an e-bicycle. They are perfectly legal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »

interesting article about electric bicycle ranges - so much depends on what effort you are willing to make when pedaling.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/13/a-new-standard-electric-bicycle-range/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »

I was reading a book by Mike Berners Lee (brother of Tim) about carbon footprints etc. He includes some light hearted stuff in amongst all the doom. One was he had worked out that an e bike charged from renewable sources was more eco friendly than a push bike powered by food!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
interesting article about electric bicycle ranges - so much depends on what effort you are willing to make when pedaling.
My range on a bicycle has more to do with my bum on the seat than battery capacity! I think a set of AA's would outlast my derriere.
A couple of years ago I got gel filled cycle shorts. Even those were of little help. However, you can always wear them back to front on a guys night out.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:25 AM »
I've ridden a couple of electric bikes, though not over any great distances. They're great for hills, takes all the pain out of them.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 10:46:22 AM »
I was reading a book by Mike Berners Lee (brother of Tim) about carbon footprints etc. He includes some light hearted stuff in amongst all the doom. One was he had worked out that an e bike charged from renewable sources was more eco friendly than a push bike powered by food!

I've not read the book (it's on my wish list !) but this kind of comparison is fraught with difficulty. Here's an example ...
https://adventuresportsjournal.com/earth-talk-e-bikes-greener-human-powered-bikes/
... which suggests that even if the ebike is powered by dirty coal it's still better than being human powered. But the author is comparing the total impact of food production against just the impact of generating the electricity for the battery. To be a realistic comparison he ought to include the impact of producing the bike, ie all the steel, rubber, plastic, battery, etc, plus the food-powered effort the human still has to put in (ebikes only provide assistance). How did Mr Berners-Lee do his comparison ?

On the topic of ebikes generally, I wish someone would figure out a way of ensuring the power boost can only be used to assist with hills, and doesn't help when the user is simply trying to go as fast as possible on the flat. Having one of these whizz past at speed at close range without warning on a shared path or footpath is scary !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:21 AM »
On the topic of ebikes generally, I wish someone would figure out a way of ensuring the power boost can only be used to assist with hills, and doesn't help when the user is simply trying to go as fast as possible on the flat. Having one of these whizz past at speed at close range without warning on a shared path or footpath is scary !
Electric bikes can not be propelled electrically above 15.5 mph and with a maximum power of 250 watts.
Following is from gov.uk:
These electric bikes are known as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured.

There are different rules in Northern Ireland.

What counts as an EAPC
An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it.

It must show either:

the power output
the manufacturer of the motor
It must also show either:

the battery’s voltage
the maximum speed of the bike
Its electric motor:

must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
An EAPC can have more than 2 wheels (for example, a tricycle).

Where you can ride
If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it’s classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed.

At 71 I can easily lope along at faster than that, on the flat, on pedal power alone.

Regards the manufacture of the e-bike, don't you have to manufacture ordinary bikes as well?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »
Electric bikes can not be propelled electrically above 15.5 mph and with a maximum power of 250 watts.
Following is from gov.uk:
These electric bikes are known as ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). You do not need a licence to ride one and it does not need to be registered, taxed or insured.

There are different rules in Northern Ireland.

What counts as an EAPC
An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it.

It must show either:

the power output
the manufacturer of the motor
It must also show either:

the battery’s voltage
the maximum speed of the bike
Its electric motor:

must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
An EAPC can have more than 2 wheels (for example, a tricycle).

Where you can ride
If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it’s classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed.

At 71 I can easily lope along at faster than that, on the flat, on pedal power alone.

Regards the manufacture of the e-bike, don't you have to manufacture ordinary bikes as well?

Yeah, right, of course everyone is law-abiding. Or you can try Googling "How to hack your ebike to go faster" (or similar) to uncover the myriad ways just about anyone can endanger other path users.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »
And cyclists who ride on the pavement are not endangering pedestrians? Any adult who rides a bike on the pavement should get an on the spot fine. They make me disgusted to be a cyclist.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »

What you want is one of these.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-49393888

Tags: