Author Topic: Parts suppliers - Suspension  (Read 4578 times)

c.lday44

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSi
Parts suppliers - Suspension
« on: November 16, 2023, 06:03:15 PM »
Hi all. Took my Jazz through MOT a few weeks ago and it got the following advisories.

Front Shock absorbers has a slightly worn bush both sides top mounts (5.3.2 (c))
Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a)(i))

I'm just going to replace both arms and both top mounts as they're cheap enough. My question is what parts to use? From Honda it's £300 an arm and £70/mount - No thankyou!

I'm looking at Febi but I can only find the right hand side. Blueprint is a part of the same group I believe but it's £200 an arm... Febi is £30.

Part Numbers from Honda:
51350-SAA-E01 - Offside lower arm
51360-SAA-J01 - Nearside lower arm (The advised one)
51920-SAA-015 - Top Mounts

Any other bits I should replace whilst I'm in there? Top mount bearings, any hardware or anything?

Thanks!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Parts suppliers - Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 08:23:44 PM »
Smart move getting the advisories done now rather than just before the next MOT imho.

When it comes to parts, I normaly turn to Ebay. CarPartsInMotion are a good store, and often have deals going. As you've a few bits to buy, try https://www.autodoc.co.uk/  - they'll have what you need.

FWIW Autodoc's youtube channel also has how to videos on the mk1 Jazz that could be useful.

Re brands. I like BluePrint stuff and know folk in the trade that use them. Febi are great too.

HTH

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
Forgive me, can't remember exactly,  but isn't there an aspect of one of the Jazz models whereby the top mounts can appear to have play but are actually perfectly correct? Maybe someone who knows will be along,  perhaps I'm imagining it.
  :-[

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 11:03:32 AM »
Forgive me, can't remember exactly,  but isn't there an aspect of one of the Jazz models whereby the top mounts can appear to have play but are actually perfectly correct? Maybe someone who knows will be along,  perhaps I'm imagining it.
There is a general  warning in the official MOT testers manual  that some cars have significant movement in their bushes and  Macpherson struts  that should not be regarded as a fault  .       I think some testers  'cover their backs' by showing this as an 'advisory'. 

5.3.4. Suspension joints, pins and bushes
Some rubber/synthetic bushes are designed to provide a comparatively high degree of compliance and are therefore likely to show some movement.

You should only reject rubber or synthetic bushes when you can see serious deterioration of the bonding or flexible material.

Many MacPherson strut top bushes are designed to have significant lateral play when the suspension is hanging free. You should only reject MacPherson strut top bushes when play is due to wear or maladjustment.

Although I am not suggesting you compromise on safety related components   it might be worth while getting a second opinion, from a mechanic with experience of the Jazz   on what parts really do need replacing before undertaking anything major.  .  On the other hand if some dismantling is required it may be false economy not to replace certain parts as a precaution at the same time. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 11:28:46 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

c.lday44

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 04:37:25 PM »
Smart move getting the advisories done now rather than just before the next MOT imho.

When it comes to parts, I normaly turn to Ebay. CarPartsInMotion are a good store, and often have deals going. As you've a few bits to buy, try https://www.autodoc.co.uk/  - they'll have what you need.

FWIW Autodoc's youtube channel also has how to videos on the mk1 Jazz that could be useful.

Re brands. I like BluePrint stuff and know folk in the trade that use them. Febi are great too.

HTH

I'm in no rush to do it as the car drives spot on, but I do want to get it done before the next MOT and as it looks fairly easy, just struts out, I'll get it done myself. Autodoc is the very video I watched to make sure It was what I thought it was haha, and carpartsinmotion is where I'm finding parts (And where I bought a couple of bits for a service I did last month). My main issue is the arms are like £300 a piece, except for one febi arm which is £30 but only a right one... Maybe I ought to just find new bushings and ball joints, get the tools and just change those. My old oil filter was blueprint, I replaced it with a genuine Honda one because I'm pedantic but the blueprint worked - I just know sometimes suppliers can have great engine parts but awful suspension parts or vice versa, or similar.

Thanks for your response :)

c.lday44

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
There is a general  warning in the official MOT testers manual  that some cars have significant movement in their bushes and  Macpherson struts  that should not be regarded as a fault  .       I think some testers  'cover their backs' by showing this as an 'advisory'. 

5.3.4. Suspension joints, pins and bushes
Some rubber/synthetic bushes are designed to provide a comparatively high degree of compliance and are therefore likely to show some movement.

You should only reject rubber or synthetic bushes when you can see serious deterioration of the bonding or flexible material.

Many MacPherson strut top bushes are designed to have significant lateral play when the suspension is hanging free. You should only reject MacPherson strut top bushes when play is due to wear or maladjustment.

Although I am not suggesting you compromise on safety related components   it might be worth while getting a second opinion, from a mechanic with experience of the Jazz   on what parts really do need replacing before undertaking anything major.  .  On the other hand if some dismantling is required it may be false economy not to replace certain parts as a precaution at the same time.

This is certainly interesting - I didn't know that. I'll see if I can get a look at the bushes myself and see what sort of condition they're in. It wasn't mentioned last year (Before I bought the car) and the places I frequently drive have some rough ground, either poor quality roads or gravel with potholes galore to places I need to be, so I'm inclined to believe the suspension has probably suffered a bit since my ownership. Car still drives great but I do occasionally hear a knock which might be suspension. I'll have to inspect it myself.

Tags:

anything