Author Topic: Cox motors wheels  (Read 5054 times)

mrushton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
Re: Cox motors wheels
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
I wouldn't dream of changing a wheel by the roadside. I would just call up the RAC and have them come out and do it. If you are on a motorway or busy trunk road, you are strongly advised NOT to try changing a wheel yourself, as you risk death or serious injury in doing so.

I thought about this and the person above who is above a certain age. It's the inconvenience of the flat. BUT on a busy road am I going to be faffing with a jack/wheel nuts etc when the Honda Assist or RAC could do it? I certainly wouldn't on the hard shoulder.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
I wouldn't dream of changing a wheel by the roadside. I would just call up the RAC and have them come out and do it. If you are on a motorway or busy trunk road, you are strongly advised NOT to try changing a wheel yourself, as you risk death or serious injury in doing so.

I've seen people trying to change a wheel in some pretty stupid places.

If you have no choice but to change a wheel on the motorway hard shoulder yourself, you must contact the control centre via the nearest emergency telephone first. As soon as a highways traffic officer or Police vehicle is available, they will attend to offer what protection they can.

I have seen offers through Groupon for a year of very basic breakdown cover for £17.50. Of course, the coverage is dismal, and there's a great deal of sense in having a more comprehensive recovery subscription, but I would think anything is better than nothing. What's your life worth?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:19:36 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »
You will be lucky to find a hard shoulder soon, they are disappearing from UK motorways and being replaced by small bays about a mile or more apart .. they call them smart motorways,  how can the motorway be smart when the idea is so dumb ?

Something like this is useful to carry in the car,  especially in our dark winter weather... there are lots of things like this around at various prices....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emergency-Roadside-Flashing-Worklight-Magnetic/dp/B07CG5RY59?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07CG5RY59&th=1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:05:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 12:03:49 AM »
You will be lucky to find a hard shoulder soon, they are disappearing from UK motorways and being replaced by small bays about a mile or more apart .. they call them smart motorways,  how can the motorway be smart when the idea is so dumb ?

Absolutely agree. There's a couple of stretches on very busy parts of the M1 near me, I don't like them at all.

If you break down in the carriageway on one of these 'smart' motorways, you need to get everybody as far away from the car as possible. Just google 'smart motorway deaths', some of the stories are truly shocking.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 07:43:06 PM »

Absolutely agree. There's a couple of stretches on very busy parts of the M1 near me, I don't like them at all.

If you break down in the carriageway on one of these 'smart' motorways, you need to get everybody as far away from the car as possible. Just google 'smart motorway deaths', some of the stories are truly shocking.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/26/uks-smart-motorways-to-be-reviewed-after-increase-in-near-misses

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »
Smart motorways on Panorama tomorrow, BBC1 8.30PM.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dtqv

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:26:07 PM by JimSh »

Tags: