Author Topic: 2nd gen Jazz 2012 - Radio digital display faded, is there a fix?  (Read 7726 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 2nd gen Jazz 2012 - Radio digital display faded, is there a fix?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 08:35:09 AM »
There is a fair chance that the sun in South Africa could easily damage the polarising screen. Not much chance here in Scotland. Water damage more likely.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
There is a fair chance that the sun in South Africa could easily damage the polarising screen. Not much chance here in Scotland. Water damage more likely.

The wind could blow the numbers off sometimes!  ;D

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
I tried using polarized sunglasses and it didn't help, I would imagine though if the displays polarizer is damaged you may need to remove it before testing with a known good one.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:43 PM »
I tried using polarized sunglasses and it didn't help, I would imagine though if the displays polarizer is damaged you may need to remove it before testing with a known good one.

It should work when you rotate a sheet of the stuff in front of the existing display. It has to be close to the lcd though, not sure if you would have any joy with the sunglasses, or if they would work at all.

Personally, I think I would just shove a good secondhand unit in.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »

It should work when you rotate a sheet of the stuff in front of the existing display. It has to be close to the lcd though, not sure if you would have any joy with the sunglasses, or if they would work at all.

Personally, I think I would just shove a good secondhand unit in.
I'll find out how expensive they are 2hnd at a breakers, how big of a job is it to swop the factory radio?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 03:54:43 PM »
Sunglasses are horizontally polarised and if you rotate a pair of sunglasses in front of display the display should get darker and when sunglasses are 90 degrees to their normal position when you are wearing them the display will go black.... same happens when you rotate one pair of sunglasses in front of the ones you are wearing - all light will be cut out when lenses are at 90 degrees to each other.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »
Sunglasses are horizontally polarised and if you rotate a pair of sunglasses in front of display the display should get darker and when sunglasses are 90 degrees to their normal position when you are wearing them the display will go black.... same happens when you rotate one pair of sunglasses in front of the ones you are wearing - all light will be cut out when lenses are at 90 degrees to each other.
That's more or less what happened, if the digital displays polariser was damaged should the sunglasses bring the numbers up again in the damaged areas?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 04:55:07 PM »
That's more or less what happened, if the digital displays polariser was damaged should the sunglasses bring the numbers up again in the damaged areas?

It is probably the LCD display that has failed rather than the polarizing filter in front of it.  I lived in Johannesburg for 5 years and left a thermometer in the car,  it went up to over 60 degrees C ( and also had a tin of boiled sweets on rear parcel shelf melt into one solid mass ) it gets pretty hot inside a vehicle down there.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:57:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
Swapping a radio may need a new code to access it.

guest4871

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 05:40:07 PM »

I lived in Johannesburg for 5 years and left a thermometer in the car,  it went up to over 60 degrees C.

60C inside the car also happens on my driveway in Buckinghamshire.

Hasn't affected my radio display yet but not very good for dogs ;)

I always keep a thermometer in the car to show people what temperatures can reach in a modern car and how very dangerous it is to leave dogs in cars even with all the windows open.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »

It sounds like the lenses were doing what you would expect them to do, you should see some action on one of the edges of the clearest part when you rotate them. Probably not that then.

Possibly the ribbon cable bond, that's another part that can be permanently heat damaged.

As Culzean says, the actual liquid crystal matrix in the lcd can also be damaged by sun/heat. Not common, but can give the same fading symptoms on reversed backlit lcds (like the Jazz radio), and is unfortunately terminal.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »

60C inside the car also happens on my driveway in Buckinghamshire.

Hasn't affected my radio display yet but not very good for dogs ;)

I always keep a thermometer in the car to show people what temperatures can reach in a modern car and how very dangerous it is to leave dogs in cars even with all the windows open.

Oops, forgot to say that was during winter.....

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
I just noticed now if you look at the display at an extreme angle the letters are dark and look fine.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »
Sounds to me like the display is warped. Possibly due to the SA heat.

Jazzmeister

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 07:09:05 AM »
Sounds to me like the display is warped. Possibly due to the SA heat.
I have noticed this extreme angle thing with other faded digital displays, I think it's the connector to the display because the numerals are darker in the morning and as the day goes it fades more.

That's probably from heat expansion increasing gap at the connector to the display and hence the resistance which then reduces the amount of current reaching that segment and resulting in it looking faded.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:11:27 AM by Jazzmeister »

Tags: