Author Topic: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)  (Read 11886 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
@Sparkypaul. Now wondering what other gems you have stashed away?  ;D

I don't think you'd believe me if I gave you the full inventory  ;D

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 06:04:00 PM »
I don't think you'd believe me if I gave you the full inventory  ;D
I can't help being curious now......... 8)

Do you reckon you will get your old 308D on the road again? Did you have it on the road as a daily or buy it as a project?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2021, 06:23:59 PM »
I can't help being curious now......... 8)

Do you reckon you will get your old 308D on the road again? Did you have it on the road as a daily or buy it as a project?

It's actually a 307D, so a generation older... bodily identical though.

It was used regularly with a demountable horsebox on the back, but was retired years ago - too much hassle getting an old Class 7 through the MOT in the end. It will probably end up broken up... replacement panels would cost more than it's worth, and it would need allsorts now.

Mind you, after saying these old Mercs rust, the rust on the Sprinter panel vans that replaced them is something else!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:37:21 PM by sparky Paul »

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
Mate, that is a thing of beauty. Mercedes of that vintage were built so well, feel like they will last forever. Rust is an issue, and they are getting old now, but your example is  8)  Feel free to post some more photos if you get time, be great to see more of it.  :D

I ran a Transit HiCube for a year. The only van I've ever owned. I bought it from auction when it was 2 1/2 yrs old, and Mrs Westy and me carried out a speedy diy camper conversion and then took it on a 6 month tour of Europe. Loved my Transit. Good van, and our home for 6 months!  :)
I have driven Transit sometimes in 90's and it as a nice van too.

This is not best time of the year to take pictures, but here are some taken from interior previously.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »
I used to drive a FIAT Ducato, daily, and it was a lovely van to drive. Mind you; I didn't have to worry about maintenance costs or repairs. Having said that, for the entire time I was driving it, I never had any issues. I just got in it, and it went and kept going.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
I've driven that kind of Ducato too. My workplace had one and for the first ten years it was economical to maintain compared to the Sprinter that we had too. After it begun to need annual welding for rust repairs it was time to get a new one.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
Those Fiat/Pug/Citroen vans are really nice. They are the base of about 75% of campers on the road. I have not driven a standard van, only a coachbuilt camper version, but it was a nice drive.The previous versions, C25 have lasted well. Still see quite a lot of them around.

Mercedes Sprinters drive so well. The 311Cdi with the 2.1 engine. Rust is a big problem, but they really are such a nice place to cover distance. Had a temp job 22yrs ago for a few months where I was using one daily. I was so impressed with how it drove. Prior to that, bay window VW camper was my van experience, and whilst nice, they are slow. The Sprinter was a luxury van.

Remember the Renaults from the 70/80's. Such cool vans.  8) Citroen H van........sadly they are all being turned into naff catering vans these days, but oh so cool.  8)

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
I think if those old Citroen vans had not been turned to catering vans they would be as much diappeared as 70's Peugeot and Renault vans are.

At one time I was looking for a 4wd Renault Master bus, but have never driven one. Since then I've changed my mind and am dreaming of a different bus https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12699.msg92049#msg92049.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:54:14 PM by TnTkr »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
For a few weeks in 1980 I helped out my brother as he started his van based supply business to engineering works and foundry. My chariot was an ex builders van belonging to a mate of my Dads. We painted it Dulux Midnight Blue on the outside and Black on the inside, painting over remnants of rubble and cement we could not easily remove. The windows would not wind down and the heater was stuck on full. That sure was a sweaty summer.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2021, 02:30:18 PM »
I think if those old Citroen vans had not been turned to catering vans they would be as much diappeared as 70's Peugeot and Renault vans are.

At one time I was looking for a 4wd Renault Master bus, but have never driven one. Since then I've changed my mind and am dreaming of a different bus
You're probably bang on with the H vans. It's just such a shame to see them being converted, painted in pastel shades and decorated with naff bunting as they often are. Never driven an H van, but I dont think they are a great steer.

That GMC van you like is super cool. How about a Ford Econoline? They were lush and referenced in a Neil Young song!  8)

For a few weeks in 1980 I helped out my brother as he started his van based supply business to engineering works and foundry. My chariot was an ex builders van belonging to a mate of my Dads. We painted it Dulux Midnight Blue on the outside and Black on the inside, painting over remnants of rubble and cement we could not easily remove. The windows would not wind down and the heater was stuck on full. That sure was a sweaty summer.
Painting over the builders rubble !!  ;D ;D Proper job!

I can relate to the heater issue. When I was a teenager I had a Pug 305 that had a broken cooling fan. The only way I could stop it over heating was to have the hot air blowing in the car! London traffic was no fun, I'd boiled myself by the time I'd made it to Camden Lock. Fortunately the Pug survived and made it home again.  8) Tell kids today eh??

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2021, 02:36:35 PM »
At one time I was looking for a 4wd Renault Master bus, but have never driven one. Since then I've changed my mind and am dreaming of a different bus https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12699.msg92049#msg92049.

I can't stop thinking about this when I see your post

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
You could do that in your Lockdown spare time with an old smiley transit?  ;D

PS: I've just worked out how to get images in a post! That only took me 6+ months...Doh.  :-X

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »
You're probably bang on with the H vans. It's just such a shame to see them being converted, painted in pastel shades and decorated with naff bunting as they often are. Never driven an H van, but I dont think they are a great steer.

That GMC van you like is super cool. How about a Ford Econoline? They were lush and referenced in a Neil Young song!  8)
My father and uncle were both working in same company in 60's and they drove company's Citroen van occasionally. They told that it actually was pretty good to drive, just the steering was quite heavy.

I've always been leaning towards GM products. Hence GMC or Chevy Van, please.   :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:26:07 PM by TnTkr »

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »

;D ;D
A-Team van is nice, but not exactly my style.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
My father and uncle were both working in same company in 60's and they drove company's Citroen van occasionally. They told that it actually was pretty good to drive, just the steering was quite heavy.

I've always been leaning towards GM products. Hence GMC or Chevy Van, please.   :D
The H van is such an iconic shape. I've had a 2cv and a couple of Dyanes in the past, nothing like an old Citroen!  8)

GM v Ford. I understand in Australia it is a proper tribal thing, you are one or the other. Die hards on both sides of the fence! I've had loads of Fords and many Vauxhalls, so not fussed either way.

Tags: