Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 696532 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2640 on: January 17, 2023, 02:49:30 PM »
I was wondering who would be legally responsible for injuries caused by a pedestrian tripping up on the cable.

?
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2641 on: January 17, 2023, 03:25:03 PM »
I can see trip hazard wires being in every street as EV increases and fuel declines.

I can also see many copper cables being cut and/or stolen overnight.

I've often wondered if there are any stats on charging cables, at home chargers etc being stolen. To be fair I haven't heard of any but it must happen?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2642 on: January 17, 2023, 03:32:34 PM »
While at the supermarket just now I noticed a vehicle recharging at one of the provided charging points. The connection cable was still semi coiled and laid across a pedestrian walkway. I was wondering who would be legally responsible for injuries caused by a pedestrian tripping up on the cable. In a situation where a trip hazard is in a public area the person causing the hazard has to be responsible for safety of the public. In the past when I had to lay a cable across the footway to charge the battery of my old Land Rover that lived on the street I put rubber car mats over the cable to try to be safe. If I was taken to court I could point out that I had taken steps to make the situation as safe as possible. I would do the same thing again if I had to charge the batteries of an EV.

I would sue the site owner:
1. they have more money than a simple driver
2. It is their responsibility to ensure the layout and operation of the site are safe and normal operation does not have cables across pedestrian pathways.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2643 on: January 17, 2023, 03:41:25 PM »
They probably have signs up saying "Trip hazard" and pass the blame onto the person who falls.
As for unplugging a car to plug yours in. Charging cables are locked into the vehicle and charger while charging, to avoid such an occurrence. Another example of VW telling lies! Oops. As a new VAG owner, I shouldn't have said that.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2644 on: January 17, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »
While at the supermarket just now I noticed a vehicle recharging at one of the provided charging points. The connection cable was still semi coiled and laid across a pedestrian walkway. I was wondering who would be legally responsible for injuries caused by a pedestrian tripping up on the cable. In a situation where a trip hazard is in a public area the person causing the hazard has to be responsible for safety of the public. In the past when I had to lay a cable across the footway to charge the battery of my old Land Rover that lived on the street I put rubber car mats over the cable to try to be safe. If I was taken to court I could point out that I had taken steps to make the situation as safe as possible. I would do the same thing again if I had to charge the batteries of an EV.

I live in a terraced house, and this is starting to happen in my street so I tried to find out what the legal position is. Best I could find out is that there's no law, bye-law, or regulation against it, but the person placing the cable is responsible for any injury or damage resulting. That's irrespective of any measures taken to reduce the risk (eg mats or signage): they created the hazard so they're responsible. After all, a guide dog might not be able to read the sign or appreciate the trip hazard ...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2645 on: January 17, 2023, 03:48:13 PM »
Yep, a street of terraced houses, in years to come, when most cars are EV is going to be a nightmare.
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2646 on: January 17, 2023, 05:00:14 PM »
Charge cables draped across a footpath can easily be guarded by placing a couple of wheelie bins over them .........   ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2647 on: January 17, 2023, 05:45:27 PM »

As for unplugging a car to plug yours in. Charging cables are locked into the vehicle and charger while charging, to avoid such an occurrence. Another example of VW telling lies! Oops. As a new VAG owner, I shouldn't have said that.
Its  tongue in cheek and  even if its not possible its apparently happening to the detriment of a VAG EV .Not a rival make or fuel system.   Just ill advised IMO.  I think there is an advert for a  self charging hybrid where the  car drives  past  coiling cables sparking away at the road side. Nissan  I think. Even more deceptive I think are these ev adverts where the bright young things breeze about then plug into a very convenient charging point right outside their city apartment. In one ad they even drive through a forest  then stop at a charging point in the forest.   Maybe there are charging points in car parks near trees but they kind of glossed over that. 

Interesting that the giant EV battery plant planned for the Uk, expecting  billions in investment , has just gone tits up.   Maybe a non EU location  with UK wages and  doubts about the future market for EV's or  a big breakthrough in battery technology leaving them with  a huge plant making old technology nobody wants.  ? 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2648 on: January 17, 2023, 07:55:21 PM »
I think a leap forward in battery technology is just around the corner.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2649 on: January 17, 2023, 10:48:15 PM »
Yep, a street of terraced houses, in years to come, when most cars are EV is going to be a nightmare.

Simple but ingenious: the cable tray tile. In Dutch, but subtitles available in lots of languages:

No more nightmares!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:59:27 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2650 on: January 18, 2023, 05:14:40 AM »
That is OK if you have a flat cable but as posted, and from those I've seen, a lot are curled wires which draped across a footpath would impede the blind and wheelchairs, etc.

But I'd take bets on those who would just drape their curly cables across a pavement.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2651 on: January 18, 2023, 08:09:06 AM »

Simple but ingenious: the cable tray tile. In Dutch, but subtitles available in lots of languages:

No more nightmares!  ;D

You’d think that would be OK, wouldn’t you? I know it’s been trialled in UK, but some local authorities are dead set against it. In my area, for example, they’ve rejected it (without having a viable alternative). I suspect the problem is that the pavement is owned by the local council, so they would be the ones liable for any issues and ongoing maintenance. And of course the householder would want his own personal reserved parking space so he could use it, which is another no-no on the public highway.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2652 on: January 18, 2023, 12:01:30 PM »
Imagine Planning Permission needed for 100 houses, each one separately applied for..
Could take years

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2653 on: January 18, 2023, 01:26:26 PM »
This is why the public charging network needs to be 100% better than it is now. We are currently in a perfect storm where EV sales are climbing but the roll out of public charges is glacial by comparison.

You don't need to be an EV sceptic to recognise this. Some of the early adopters, like EVM on You Tube are sounding the alarm with some regularity now.

The government and the motor industry need to make a number of assumptions and plan accordingly.

1) 40% of people will not charge at home - this will be forever. Terraced houses, flats, even some semis (my daughter has a semi with no off road parking).

2) Not all work places will be able to have enough chargers. The guy in charge of these things at my daughter's 6th form college has done scoping studies on this. 40% of staff won't have charging at home and will want to charge at work. They have space for around a dozen chargers - this will entail a rota system with teachers and other staff vacating chargers between lessons so others can charge.

3) 2030 is too ambitious - put it back to 2035 in line with most other countries.

Finally, I don't know what the situation is like in other areas but the 4 big supermarkets near us - Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons and Asda don't have a single charger on their large car parks which are rarely full. They either need a kick up the jacksie or some incentive to put some in.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2654 on: January 18, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »
My local Tesco has 4 places round a single charge point, but, at 08:00 when Tesco opens the 4 places are taken by the same staff cars that rotate round. Always the same 6 to 8 cars I recognise.

Shoppers don't get a look in.

Tags: