Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 700460 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2655 on: January 18, 2023, 01:38:27 PM »
I think that as EVs increase in numbers supermarkets with charging points will see sales increase and those without will see sales decrease. And supermarkets are exceptionally market savvy. It will just take one in a town to bite the bullet and the rest will have to follow.
I drive past my local Morrisons to go to Tesco because Tesco sells E5 and Morrisons doesn't. The same will happen with chargers.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2656 on: January 18, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
 New Lidl near me has 4 chargers . I think they were working, although none had cars  .

Although there will be  genuine claims  for accidents caused by trailing cables etc  there will also be a rise in fraudulent claims . If you have anything , however discrete , well planned  ,and indeed safe, somewhere which has   public access, there will be criminals  claiming they tripped over it.    It may get like the USA where if a bus has a slight shunt in traffic, videos have shown several  bystanders rushing to board the bus so they can claim compensation as passengers. 

It may come to the point where  car insurance, or house insurance may cover public liability for EV cable claims. Maybe they do already. We all end up paying. It would at least highlight serial claimants.    But I'd still be suspicious if confronted by  an 'injured person', maybe complete with an 'independent witness'  who suggested that despite their pain and trauma  caused by your alleged negligence   they would be willing to accept compensation in cash out of court.   ;)       
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2657 on: January 18, 2023, 03:12:57 PM »
As well as a dashcam you might need a cablecam.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2658 on: January 18, 2023, 05:11:50 PM »
I forgot to mention Lidl - to be fair the Warrington store near to me does have chargers. Time for the big boys to step up.

I'm particularly disappointed with Sainsburys - there are a lot of new build flats near the store. They could have got ahead of the curve here.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2659 on: January 18, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »
You’d think that would be OK, wouldn’t you? I know it’s been trialled in UK, but some local authorities are dead set against it. In my area, for example, they’ve rejected it (without having a viable alternative).

In the Netherlands, some local authorities are against it. And not without having a viable alternative...  ;D
These local authorities have invested in charging points in many places, where you can charge your EV.
Of course: payment of a much higher KW rate than at home. And: if the charging point is located in an area where you have to pay for parking, you will also pay a parking fee. Guess where you will find most of these charging stations...

So... why facilitate (safe) cheap charging at your front door with cable tray tiles on which the municipality earns nothing?
Fortunately, this is not the case everywhere, in many places the local authorities are cooperating.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:06:41 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2660 on: January 18, 2023, 10:38:45 PM »
3) 2030 is too ambitious - put it back to 2035 in line with most other countries.
It's a no-brainer to re-interpret the 2030 target as meaning no sale of pure ICE vehicles but hybrids can continue to be sold for a further few years as part of an orderly transition which recognises the constraints in sourcing materials for building EVs, affordability and the creation of an adequate charging infrastructure.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2661 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:27 AM »
As well as a dashcam you might need a cablecam.

On a Tesla it is called 'Sentry mode' and it has been around for a while...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2662 on: January 20, 2023, 03:05:51 PM »
I'm particularly disappointed with Sainsburys - there are a lot of new build flats near the store. They could have got ahead of the curve here.
No incentive to provide chargers, and parking space  for the convenience of local residents. Unless they have ample parking and charge enough to make it a nice little earner. But if  they suddenly restrict them to shoppers only the residents will be outraged at the loss of a facility they relied upon.   

I'm wondering about those cable trays.  In my area at least the council   approve and install  dropped kerbs so you can park on your own  property.  Only the councils approved contractor can actually drop the kerb and in true council fashion the cost is about 3 times what it should be. If the council also controlled the installation of cable trays in suitable situations  there are fortunes to be made for somebody. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2663 on: January 27, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »
Daily Telegraph :

In my current petrol car, I can guarantee 300+ miles regardless of lights, wipers and air-con, without having to take an hour at an inconvenient location to recharge. Going out for a day or weekend means 100-250 miles, in a direction I like without regard to non-existent chargers in country areas. I do not believe Telegraph writers can recommend an electric car capable of this and costing less than £20,000.

Step 1 - DON'T !
That's about it really

20% of UK homes are apartments.
25% of UK homes are terraced.
So thats 45% of UK homes that do not have off-street home charging.
Be aware trailing charging cables across footpaths creates an injury risk - you could be sued for substantial personal claims - you could also be charged with causing injury, or even death.

''especially if you are able to charge them at your home using as yet untaxed electricity.''
The elephant in the room.
How long do you think the largesse of untaxed electricity will last?
I doubt it will last till the First of January 2030.
Every new home now has to have a car charging point - how soon before the government or the local council sticks on a Home Charging Point Tax?
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2664 on: January 27, 2023, 09:13:50 PM »
I read recently that EV values are on the way down. Tesla just dropped their list prices by many thousands. Looks like the pence per mile is not so attractive these days.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/official-tesla-model-y-loses-14k-in-four-months-as-ev-prices-tank-further-in-january/278815

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2665 on: March 20, 2023, 07:34:34 AM »
Interesting story this morning
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-64964294
An excerpt:
“One of the most common questions we get asked is how we're going to charge the car in the polar regions where there's no electricity source," Mrs Ramsey said.
"There will be a wind turbine and full double solar on this device which will be towed along, harnessing the renewable energy sources - the wind and the sun - to power the car.”

It’s noticeable that the publicity photos don’t contain any images of this towed device, nor is there any data about how long a recharge will take. I’m reminded of the journey in the book “The Martian”, where the (fictional) astronaut has to spend most of his daylight hours waiting for his many square metres of solar panels to recharge his vehicle enough for a relatively short drive.

Still, they’ve got previous in having completed the Mongol Rally in a Nissan Leaf, so good luck to ‘em.

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2666 on: March 20, 2023, 08:48:25 AM »
I read recently that EV values are on the way down. Tesla just dropped their list prices by many thousands. Looks like the pence per mile is not so attractive these days.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/official-tesla-model-y-loses-14k-in-four-months-as-ev-prices-tank-further-in-january/278815

Who in there right mind would even consider  a so called green car EV.
In a few years time there will be massive heaps of green EV detritus  littering our Green and now not so pleasant land  this will include second hand  cars that no one will consider purchasing because a new battery will be so costly.
Absolute madness  another buy a diesel car rip off  of recent times  Remember!!
We are  being led by the nose to a ludicrous so called net zero  that will leave the UK in  energy poverty  No gas,no oil,no coal, electricity shortages of continuous extra lengthening periods  welcome to Net everything
I expect this diatribe of mine will receive  contributions etc  but only time will tell whether the truth will avail itself.
This will be for the younger folk to discover in due time but I will say that with age comes experience and wisdom.
Look out.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2667 on: March 20, 2023, 11:09:08 AM »
For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a "circular economy."

"We're buying electric cars for sustainability reasons," said Matthew Avery, research director at automotive risk intelligence company Thatcham Research. "But an EV isn't very sustainable if you've got to throw the battery away after a minor collision."

Battery packs can cost tens of thousands of dollars and represent up to 50% of an EV's price tag, often making it uneconomical to replace them.

While some automakers like Ford Motor Co (F.N) and General Motors Co (GM.N) said they have made battery packs easier to repair, Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has taken the opposite tack with its Texas-built Model Y, whose new structural battery pack has been described by experts as having "zero repairability."

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

Unless Tesla and other carmakers produce more easily repairable battery packs and provide third-party access to battery cell data, already-high insurance premiums will keep rising as EV sales grow and more low-mileage cars get scrapped after collisions, insurers and industry experts said.

"The number of cases is going to increase, so the handling of batteries is a crucial point," said Christoph Lauterwasser, managing director of the Allianz Center for Technology, a research institute owned by Allianz (ALVG.DE).

Lauterwasser noted EV battery production emits far more CO2 than fossil-fuel models, meaning EVs must be driven for thousands of miles before they offset those extra emissions.

"If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you've lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions," he said.

There are a growing number of repair shops specializing in repairing EVs and replacing batteries. In Phoenix, Arizona, Gruber Motor Co has mostly focused on replacing batteries in older Tesla models.

But insurers cannot access Tesla's battery data, so they have taken a cautious approach, owner Peter Gruber said.

"An insurance company is not going to take that risk because they're facing a lawsuit later on if something happens with that vehicle and they did not total it," he said.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2668 on: March 20, 2023, 01:05:15 PM »
Companies are opening up in the UK to repair EV battery packs. They are just composed of cells linked together, the same as lead acid batteries, and defective and damaged cells can be replaced. There is no super science involved. It requires the skills of a competent electrician.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2669 on: March 20, 2023, 04:08:37 PM »
I hope there will be an increase of companies offering cost effective  refurbishment, or new replacements ,for EV batteries .     But I suspect there will also be an increase in users of older EV's  whos battery is well past its  best  and delivering a range well below what it could deliver when new  .Which was never that impressive.  .

The result?  - The inadequate supply of public charging points will be increasingly occupied by  old EV's needing frequent top ups. 

Maybe there will be an increase in car renovators repairing and  welding up  a diminishing number of old petrol and diesel 'classics'.( And hybrids.)  Assuming you can still get petrol.   In the very early days of petrol cars pioneers had to obtain petrol in cans from hardware stores and chemists. So there  may be other reasons to regret how many hardware shops and pharmacies are currently closing in the uk  ;D     
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:21:59 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags: