Author Topic: New Owner (novice to honda)  (Read 4825 times)

guest6641

New Owner (novice to honda)
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
Hello I bought a Jazz 53 1.4 i dsi yesterday.

Sold my Audi S3 and Seat leon cupra r and bought this as im trying to move house.

Found a 53 plate 1.4 dsi se model, in fantastic condition with on 50k on the clock for £1100. Coming from the cars I had its been a bit of a shock, but on first impressions its a good little car.

As I have always had VAG cars in the past I am a total novice when it comes to honda.

Just a few questions, what grade oil do people recommend and whats the oil capacity on these little cars?

Its been fully serviced, great history. Anything else that needs to be looked at engine wise on these cars??

Just any general information would be great.

Thanks Mikey

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: New Owner (novice to honda)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »
welcome to forum,

You will probably find that Jazz will hold more stuff than both the other cars put together.

Any decent 10W-40 or 5W-30 oil (Opie oils recommends 10W-40 for MK1)  personally I use Castrol magnatec but there are plenty of good oils out there for less than £30 for 4 litres and plenty of expensive oils as well,   Jazz oil capacity is 3.8 Litres.

Check for a whining noise from gearbox in lower gears (bearing) and grumbling from rear wheel bearings.

Enjoy
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)

The i-DSI engine has two spark plugs per cylinder and its not unknown for the rear set to be missed by DIY mechanics and independent garages. Any jerkiness or hesitation could point to life-expired spark plugs or a blocked EGR valve (common across all makes & models with EGR valves). No cambelts to change unlike on your S3 & Curpa, assuming they use the Mk5 Golf GTi engine.

And although you specifically asked regarding the engine, I would keep an eye on the boot as rain water can leak into the boot and collect in spare wheel well. Probably a case of 'when' not 'if' but i's an easy DIY fix.

guest6641

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I dropped the rear seats before and can fit my bikes in easy, overall I'm pleasantly surprised how good it is.
The car has had its oil changed every 4k, normally used 5-30 castrol edge so I'll stick with that.

Egr was recently cleaned but I'll check it on the next service.

One of the main reasons I looked at these was the lack of cam belts.

Both cars were the same as the mk4 golf, the 1.8t 20v.

Seen there's a Haynes manual for the mk1 jazz so think I'll pick one up as a reference in the future.

Do you know of any places to get paint matches from, have a small area I would like to touch up. It's red, not sure of the proper name haha

Cheers for the help

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »
You can find manuel for your Jazz here - http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html
Always use the genuine Honda oil filter - plenty on E Bay from Honda garages.
When you havetime just check the cabin filter a new one will greatly improve air quality
As regards touch up paint if none metalic should be Milano Red code R081

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »
Milano Red is still offered on the Honda range so any dealer should stock a touch up stick.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
hello and welcome  8)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
One other thing, the i-DSi engine needs(?) the tappets adjusted every 25,000 miles I believe (every 62k on '06+ models). Many owners, myself included have never bothered and have never experienced any problems.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 09:05:03 PM »
One other thing, the i-DSi engine needs(?) the tappets adjusted every 25,000 miles I believe (every 62k on '06+ models). Many owners, myself included have never bothered and have never experienced any problems.

Yeah,  did 120,000 miles in my I-DSI without tappet adjustment.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything