Author Topic: Tyre deflation warning  (Read 20026 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Tyre deflation warning
« on: March 15, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
My tyre deflation warning light came on today, but there is nothing wrong with the tyre pressures.  However, I had come down a spiral car-park exit ramp involving about 5 complete clockwise revolutions, which would involve the nearside wheels travelling quite a bit further than the offside.  (The entry ramp was more or less straight). So I found a quiet car park and drove round 5 times anticlockwise without being arrested, but the warning stayed on.  I have now re-calibrated it.  Any thoughts?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Tyre deflation warning
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
I had the same thing happen twice on a 400 mile trip, and on both occasions the tyre pressures were correct.
Technology, can't live with it can't live without it.
At least it was reasonably easy to reset. :-)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:25:09 PM by trebor1652 »

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
My tyre warning light came on when I went over the Avon Bridge on the motorway.
Checked the tyres at the next service station to find that all ok.
Calibrated when I got home. Strange one that. Perhaps it had something to do with the atmospheric pressure change due to being ' up in the air '!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
Maybe another example of technology lobbying in US & EU to ensure customers pay for complex solutions rather than use a pressure gauge.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
I've not had any problems with this system, yet, but these reports are worrying. I'll have to read on the reset procedure.

It would appear to be over-sensitive which should be fixable by a software update if Honda realise there is a problem. One can lose several PSI of pressure in a tyre before it will affect driveability and safety. Presumably, then intention is to alert people to a problem sooner then they would otherwise notice.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »
I've not had any problems with this system, yet, but these reports are worrying. I'll have to read on the reset procedure.

It would appear to be over-sensitive which should be fixable by a software update if Honda realise there is a problem. One can lose several PSI of pressure in a tyre before it will affect driveability and safety. Presumably, then intention is to alert people to a problem sooner then they would otherwise notice.

if the Germans had anything to do with legislation they would have specified +/- 0.001 PSI as the allowable variation in tyre pressure - I know this because I have worked on German equipment in industry - pity their calculations on Nox and CO2 emissions from their cars are so far out - but still within the European law apparently LOL
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:55:12 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 12:27:49 AM »
Maybe another example of technology lobbying in US & EU to ensure customers pay for complex solutions rather than use a pressure gauge.
I don't think so...
The TPMS of the Jazz (as many other mini and supermini cars) is a cheap device,  it works checking and comparing tyre revolutions  considering that a deflated tyre spins faster than an inflated one: with steering wheel kept straight, all wheels shoud spin at the same speed, so the system warns if this does not happen. There are no sensors or other devices,  it's simply an additional  feature of the ABS/ESP calculator,  as the Hill-Holder.
Older and more expensive cars use a more precise pressure sensor, radio-connected with the car, and each spare sensor costs about 50€.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:40:46 AM by jazzaro »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
I don't think so...
The TPMS of the Jazz (as many other mini and supermini cars) is a cheap device,  it works checking and comparing tyre revolutions  considering that a deflated tyre spins faster than an inflated one: with steering wheel kept straight, all wheels shoud spin at the same speed, so the system warns if this does not happen. There are no sensors or other devices,  it's simply an additional  feature of the ABS/ESP calculator,  as the Hill-Holder.
Older and more expensive cars use a more precise pressure sensor, radio-connected with the car, and each spare sensor costs about 50€.

From what I have read the Mk11 jazz has the ABS based TPM but MK111 has pressure ones ? Thought ABS based ones no longer allowed as legislation requires 'direct measurement of pressure' - Trouble is the pressure ones have non-replaceable battery and have to be replaced every 2 years and re-programmed into ECU so 200 euro every two years plus cost of reprogram, and tested as part of MOT. Another expense to be borne because of unelected EU legislators LOL

http://www.techeurope.co.uk/tech/news/view/35/European-legislation-on-TPMS-imminent
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:00:54 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
Fake.
If you have a reset button or a reset function for your TPMS system, it means that it's an ABS-based device.
Sensor-based TPMS don't need reset or recalibration as they know the exact pressure value of each tyre, if you read an alert you only have to inflate your tyre or fix the puncture. ABS-based tpms need to know when you modify the pressure, as they use geometrical parameters to calculate a pressure change. Old systems had to be programmed to set the correct position of each sensor (left front, right rear and so on) but actual system works better and they get themself where is each gauge. My TPMS (on a 2006 Clio) works with sensors, it needs no reset but I have to set the position of each sensor and if I'm using winter tyres or summer ones.  Each sensor has a built-in battery lasting more than 10 years, it gives warning for high temperature, low pressure and fast pressure change.
TPMS is compulsory in EU since 01/11/2014, in USA 100% of the producion use TMPS since 2007.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:10:55 AM by jazzaro »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
Wow you guys know to much.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 04:57:41 PM »
Get yourself a tyre gauge no worries

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
Get yourself a tyre gauge no worries

To stay up to date you could of course get a digital one !!  ;) ;)

Vic

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 09:57:25 PM »
Wow you guys know to much.

OK. I am a bit lost here. This is all a little technical for me.

Do the late Mk 2 models have an ABS system or a sensor based TPMS system?

Does the Mk 3 have an ABS system or a sensor based TPMS system?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »
MK3  has an ABS-system.
MK2, when fitted, has a sensor-based hardware made by Continental.
Here you can find a good explanation about the two hardware:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-pressure-monitoring-system-how-tpms-works
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:36:23 PM by jazzaro »

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »
I have a late MK2 and it does seem to be sensor based, there does not seem to be a way to reset it. so if it goes wrong I'm sure it will cost £££. Had the ABS one on the Fiat 500 and that did have a reset feature. think i would prefer the ABS one.

Tags: