Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 7133 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Headlights
« on: March 07, 2016, 04:54:42 PM »
Just a question for GK users:  supermini models (Polo, Mazda2, Clio, Corsa....) usually have double halogen projector (low and high beam), can have cornering lights, sometimes they can have xenon or LED lights in option; this new generation Jazz has been fitted with a single halogen projector and a 55/60W H4 lamp, and  fog lights only on the top trim: no cornering lights, no LED, no HID.... How is the visibility during night driving? Satisfyng? Or do you think it could be better?  Does auto low/high beam system work fine?
Thanks in advance.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:32:49 PM »
Auto high/low works very well in my opinion.
I have not done a lot of night driving, but saying that the lights do seem OK.
Fog lights could be better I think, tried turning headlights off and just using them and I don't think I would like to drive to far in those circumstances.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »
Well it's early days yet.  I've only had the car a week and driven it twice at night in town and on country roads.  I find the lights absolutely fine for visibility and the auto dipping is amazing with flawless operation.

It recognises headlights at a distance, doesn't confuse them with street lights or reflection from road signs and only dips when the car actually comes into view, over the brow of a hill for example.  Also recognizes tail lights from a distance.

To be honest it's a job to see how they could improve on this.

PS I am deliberately keeping this on topic and not talking about the auto on/off function.  In my opinion too many of these threads are allowed to go off topic.  And I guess I've just been guilty of that myself  :)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:07:57 AM »
The auto main beam works fine under most conditions but a human can do better on a road with bends - for example when needing to use main beam to see the outside of a bend when there is an oncoming vehicle on the inside.

The challenge is remembering how to de-activate / re-activate the auto main beam.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
The auto main beam works fine under most conditions but a human can do better on a road with bends - for example when needing to use main beam to see the outside of a bend when there is an oncoming vehicle on the inside.

The challenge is remembering how to de-activate / re-activate the auto main beam.

Agreed John.  There are few situations in life when a human can't do better that a computer. I think it's called common sense  ;D

And I can see how it is easy to get into a panic when you need to dip the lights manually and the stick is already in the dip position.

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
Thanks.
How do you judge the low beams pattern? Is it wide?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Just a question for GK users:  supermini models (Polo, Mazda2, Clio, Corsa....) usually have double halogen projector (low and high beam), can have cornering lights, sometimes they can have xenon or LED lights in option; this new generation Jazz has been fitted with a single halogen projector and a 55/60W H4 lamp, and  fog lights only on the top trim: no cornering lights, no LED, no HID.... How is the visibility during night driving? Satisfyng? Or do you think it could be better?  Does auto low/high beam system work fine?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure I understand all the techie stuff here, all I can say is that the lights seem to be perfectly adequate. If that suggests that Honda have opted to take a step back from the escalating "arms race" of fitting ever-brighter lights and have simply fitted something that works, then I'm all for it.

I've commented on the auto dip feature elsewhere; yes, it works well technically, but it doesn't allow you to be a courteous driver by dipping early.

Intrigued by this comment:
Fog lights could be better I think, tried turning headlights off and just using them and I don't think I would like to drive to far in those circumstances.
I always thought factory-fitted front fogs were switched so they only operated with the headlights (I've got the cheapo version without them so can't check). Plus, how did you manage to switch the headlights off and drive with just the fogs ?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
Put the side lights on and switch on the fog lights, it's that simple.
The idea of fog lights is to cut out the reflected light from the head lights, so being low down they illuminate the road with little reflection that is why they can be on without the headlights.
The add on fog lights I fitted years ago had a good 'flat' beam, much better than the jazz's.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »
I think it's the rear fog warning light that will only come on if the headlights are on.

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
Not sure I understand all the techie stuff here, all I can say is that the lights seem to be perfectly adequate. If that suggests that Honda have opted to take a step back from the escalating "arms race" of fitting ever-brighter lights and have simply fitted something that works, then I'm all for it.
Look at a Renault Clio headlights (but it's the same for a Opel, pardon, Vauxall Corsa, a VW Polo or others...)
You will see two projectors, each with its own lamp. There is a 55W halogen lamp for dipped beam (focused  and another 55W lamp for high beam. Dipped beam aim to illuminate the 15meters in front of the car and both sides without glaring,  high beam aim to illuminate only the road in the front of the car. Jazz has only one projector and one 55W lamp for both dipped/high beam, and you can use only one mode: if you use the high beam, you must give up the dipped beam because the lamp would blow. Clio, Polo and other's headlight can work with both dipped and high beam working at the same time, so you have more lumens when you drive during the night.
More, a single projector both for dipped and high beam is a cheap compromise between the two functions, you won't never have the best for each mode. That's why, usually, manufacturers use this solution only for small and cheap cars.
It's strange because Honda gives more performing headlights for the JDM Fit (left hand driving).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPe_ewf9gc
LED (moreorless 2500 lumens vs the 1300 of a standard halogen 55w lamp) for dipped beam and halogen for high beam, E4 omologation (Netherlands) but only japanese and australian customers can have them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 12:39:52 PM by jazzaro »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:29:38 PM »
There is the option of putting in brighter light bulbs as discussed here http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7440.0 (Mk 3 headlight bulbs are the same as on the Mk 2). The drawback to brighter bulbs is that they don't last as long.

Ideally, Honda would have fitted LED headlight bulbs (I think the HRV has them) which would save a bit of power.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »
There is the option of putting in brighter light bulbs as discussed here http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7440.0 (Mk 3 headlight bulbs are the same as on the Mk 2). The drawback to brighter bulbs is that they don't last as long.

Ideally, Honda would have fitted LED headlight bulbs (I think the HRV has them) which would save a bit of power.
You would save power and have more light. And with OEM projectors and lens, there would be no glare for other road users.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »
You would save power and have more light. And with OEM projectors and lens, there would be no glare for other road users.

projector headlights in the main,  OEM or not are extremely blue, the most dazzling colour to other road users,  I know they are supposed to be self leveling and so on but they were the bane of my life commuting 70 miles return on B roads every day - whether behind or approaching.   Only the other evening I had a car with projectors behind me and it was as though he had main beam on in my rear mirrors,  I had to dip interior mirror - every bump or dip in the road that he hit was like being flashed by a lighthouse.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »

projector headlights in the main,  OEM or not are extremely blue, the most dazzling colour to other road users,  I know they are supposed to be self leveling and so on but they were the bane of my life commuting 70 miles return on B roads every day - whether behind or approaching.   Only the other evening I had a car with projectors behind me and it was as though he had main beam on in my rear mirrors,  I had to dip interior mirror - every bump or dip in the road that he hit was like being flashed by a lighthouse.
Usually I find very annoying cars with aftermarket HID kits as they mount high luminosity lamps inside projectors designed for halogen lamps. No problems approaching cars with OEM Hid or Led headlights.

Tags: