Author Topic: Rejecting New Jazz EX 2016  (Read 10543 times)

Ricardo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
Rejecting New Jazz EX 2016
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
Yep. You read it correctly.
I'm asking them to take it back.
I've had loads of niggling problems such that I have no confidence in the car affording me the cast iron reliability I've enjoyed over the last 40 or so year of driving Honda cars.
I think they have tried to make it too clever and it just can't do it.
I do think they will have great difficulty selling this new model in the market its normally sold to, which is, shall we say, the more mature driver (I count myself as a member of that group btw).
I'm pretty good with tech but this is waay too complicated for me, even when it works.
And in my case it doesn't.
So watch this space. I've put the cat firmly amongst the pigeons with the dealerships's area manager by way of an email which he will see tomorrow.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Rejecting New Jazz EX 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
Sad to read this.
I am a silver surfer and have an EX and I think my car is great.
Yes some of the tech is a pain but I can say that about my computer and my smart phone, the thing is half the tech you don't use anyway.
Hope you get sorted soon Ricardo.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Technology for Technologies sake is always a pain, I work with technology everyday and don't want too much of it in my car.  I like cars that do the things I want when I want them to,  don't like driving a car that thinks its smarter than I am.

I think the electronics on engines has made them more efficient and reliable,  but when it comes to annoying stuff like auto wipers and lights with a mind of their own, having a touch screen that you are supposed to use when vehicle is moving, definitely lost the plot.

just look at the devices older people buy,  microwaves with dials (not the ones with multi-function button combinations and a million different cooking modes),  TV's that don't need the internet to work,  Cameras that you can just point and shoot photos with without having a degree in advanced computer science,  in other words devices where the technology is invisible and unobtrusive - but the nerdy code writers like to make it complicated and in your face.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:58:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Is your complaint solely about the touchscreen chocolate teapot or do you have other complaints about the vehicle which threaten the reliability. You haven't had the opportunity to experience the auto headlights under summer conditions, when they have a mind of their own.

I had no real expectations of the touchscreen system and hence have not been very disappointed. However, I am considering asking my dealer to replace touchscreen with one where the OK button responds to the first finger jab in roughly the right area. As I've said in other posts, it is a safety hazard. And pressing OK before strting the engine doesn't work: the touchscreen restarts when I start the engine.

A lot of these issues can be fixed by software updates, if Honda is so inclined. However, the motoring press doesn't appear to have encountered the problems we are seeing, but perhaps they were only interested in how much the engine revved.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ricardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »
The car was delivered with the Oil Warning light on, diagnosed as a sensor issue.
The headlights were full of condensation, diagnosed as a loose connection seal on both sides. (A diagnosis and fix by Honda at Chiswick NOT Honda UK)
Now the auto wipers work in bone dry sunny conditions and refuse to stop unless switched to off poition.
I've had the car for just on two weeks.
Enough of this nonsense I think...best get rid before the engine management packs up in the fast lane.
And please don't get me started on the City Braking System - wouldn't trust it for an instant now
Really worrying for a car whose reputation is built around bomb-proof reliability.
Prehaps we should resume construction of the Jazz here in the UK. (Then maybe we'd get the lovely glass roof back)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:36:23 PM by Ricardo »

guest5589

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
The car was delivered with the Oil Warning light on, diagnosed as a sensor issue.
The headlights were full of condensation, diagnosed as a loose connection seal on both sides. (A diagnosis and fix by Honda at Chiswick NOT Honda UK)
Now the auto wipers work in bone dry sunny conditions and refuse to stop unless switched to off poition.
I've had the car for just on two weeks.
Enough of this nonsense I think...best get rid before the engine management packs up in the fast lane.
And please don't get me started on the City Braking System - wouldn't trust it for an instant now
Really worrying for a car whose reputation is built around bomb-proof reliability.
Prehaps we should resume construction of the Jazz here in the UK. (Then maybe we'd get the lovely glass roof back)

Sounds like a Lemon and quite shocking that it passed QC!!
But then again old wise men always told me not to buy ver 1 of any new car. It has happened before with GD where they revised suspension 1 year into production and fixed gearbox bearings 2004 onwards. You trailblazer lot are always on the forefront which is commendable but new cars in the market always have teething problems.
and it is not the case with cars only. .same goes for software and phones and pretty much everything..

Good luck!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:55 AM »
Don't see ourselves as trail blazers really 'ary' as the car has been around for about two years as the Fit.

guest5589

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
Don't see ourselves as trail blazers really 'ary' as the car has been around for about two years as the Fit.

Yes I know but not in UK market spec parts. But the faults you have mentioned are simple QC issues not even parts failure.

Ricardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
Tbh I think it is a bit of both, but the situation has been made much, much worse by the apparent indifference from the sales manager. I sent him the email last night so he would've read it this morning and I've been waiting all day for him to contact me. Apparently he will call within the hour...yeah, right.

Ricardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »
Update: Having waited all morning the sales director phoned. It will come as no surprise that they are now back pedalling on what we'd agreed. They agreed to keep my old Jazz off their forecourt for 30 days and that if any further fault developed they would agree that I could exercise my rights to reject the car.
He's now saying that auto wipers working when they shouldn't does not constitute a fault or reason to reject the car.
I'm not rejecting the car because of the one fault, it is the last in a string of faults.
Although how an auto wiper that works constantly in dry conditions does not constitute a fault is something I'm having trouble getting my head around.
Sure, you can get the odd random sweep and you wonder "what was that for?" but this is continuous operation as if it was actually raining.
I've just tried it in my garage (which does not have a leaking roof!) and its still doing it.
He wants to get somebody over to take the car away and check it, but I fear they will fix the sensor without telling me and then report "no fault" - rejection denied.
Somebody is coming to collect it tomorrow afternoon, meantime I've escalated it to Honda UK who will (apparently) call me tomorrow morning.

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
I am probably never going to be in the position to buy a new Jazz. The one I did buy had issues but as it was secondhand some hiccups would have to be tolerated.
The niggles were fixed by the dealer after some forceful correspondence.
Now, is the Jazz no longer made in the UK?
How come this model which  has I believe been available in the USA and the Far East, do these problems arise and as for technology, we should be well past the 'problem' stage by now.
I sincerely wish Ricardo well, any idiot should understand that Ricardo will have no confidence in his car, surely Honda should offer him the use of  another NEW vehicle in an attempt to restore his confidence and should the worst come to the worst, given the new legislation a court would have a field day with a manufacturer, given the car producers record over the years.
Honda can write off the price of a new car as petty cash so if they are really worried about their image, get off their backsides and give the customer what he/she paid for.

guest5643

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:46 PM »
Aunty,the European Jazz is made in Japan,USA models built in Mexico along with the HRV.No we shouldn't be having issues with a car that has been in production for a couple of years before it reached our shores but as with all things mechanical things go wrong,for every unhappy owner there will be hundreds of satisfied customers.I too wish Ricardo well and hope he gets a good outcome without too much aggro. 

guest5505

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
I fear you may not get the dealer to agree to rejection without a fight. Don't forget you are dealing with the dealership presumably with whom you have your contract. This is not Honda. You should speak to Honda Uk to get them on your side as they may apply pressure on the dealer.

Think about getting a report from an independent expert on the condition of the car, or at least suggesting to the dealer that you jointly instruct such an expert. You'll need that if this were to go to court.

If the problems can be fixed then that might be the better outcome.

guest4871

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:34 PM »
A couple of useful links.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/607088/New-law-buyers-return-faulty-car-30-days

Below is a website set up by Government. This includes excellent simple straight forward advice under "How to get things put right" at the end.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

The law changed on 1st October 2015.

I wish you all good fortune Richardo. I had planned to wait for a Mk3 but the delay was too great and I am pleased I didn't wait after all. I could not have coped with all the complicated "features", let alone that they didn't work. Reading other peoples experiences here, I too would have rejected the Mk3 as not being of satisfactory quality.

A product and all its features should be expected to work straight off - Honda or not.

(Note a car can be returned up for to 6 years in certain circumstances).

Ricardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
The latest - and hopefully final installment...
On a technical note, the fix for the continually sweeping wipers was to disconnect the battery and reconnect, thus rebooting the computer.

Alpine was right on the money, the contract is with the dealership, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Honda UK's apparent lack of power in the matter. They basically acted as a kind of mediator between us and the dealership.
However they did get together with the dealership to sponsor a compensation package.
Once it was clear that I would get little support from Honda UK I decided that continuing down the rejection route would just result in ulcers or heart attacks or worse, so I looked to get as good a compensation package as I could.
In the end I got the optional additional 2 years maufacturers warranty extension (worth around £850) plus a (very) small bung as "goodwill" from Honda UK.
Its done little to restore my confidence in the car and in Honda as a company but we are where we are now. I just want to put this behind us and get on with my life.
I will now sever contact with that dealership (which, ironically, was not my closest geographically in any case) and get any further faults rectified under the (now quite long) warranty via my local dealership, along with the routine servicing.
Of course if the engine goes bang we might well be here again....

Tags: