Author Topic: Touchscreen, climate & auxiliary controls  (Read 9639 times)

guest1372

Touchscreen, climate & auxiliary controls
« on: December 19, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
While I'm very pleased to see DAB and phone integration, plus a couple of options for charging devices, I'm not entirely convinced by the lack of buttons on the UK Jazz.
A quick image search has brought up a few alternative units in other markets, plus an after-market unit that is basically a clone with an added rotary control.
I think there may be a demand among the grey haired segment of the market for a top specification but something other than touch controls. Fingertip stuff on the steering wheel is great, but there are many occasions where the passenger is interacting with the auxiliary systems.

I've saved a few different versions of this central unit, and I feel the more traditional versions may be preferred by many.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Touchscreen, climate & auxiliary controls
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:43:05 PM »
I don't have the climate control so I have the benefit of real knobs and buttons for my heating / cooling system. However, it's necessary to take one's eyes off the road to operate it. The corresponding controls on the Mk 2 are a bit higher and nearer the driver. Perhaps they should have used some space on the big screen to show what the current settings are.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
I think there may be a demand among the grey haired segment of the market for a top specification but something other than touch controls.
I don't think this is anything to do with the age of the user. Blunt fact is that in order to operate a touch-screen, you have to look at it, which - in a car - is poor ergonomics full stop. All users irrespective of age would benefit from the tactile feedback that a physical button or knob gives, car designers need to find the optimum balance between providing that whilst not making the cockpit too cluttered. Honda have gone for the "simple, uncluttered" look and usability has suffered as a consequence.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »
I don't think this is anything to do with the age of the user. Blunt fact is that in order to operate a touch-screen, you have to look at it, which - in a car - is poor ergonomics full stop.

I agree entirely - there are far too many things in modern cars that you have to look at to operate and any time when the car is moving and drivers eyes are not looking at the road is a bad time.   With a knob or switch you can just reach out and operate it without really looking but to be able to touch the proper area on a touchscreen you have to be accurate and watch for the result,  which will most likely be another screen that needs an accurate touch - not good ergonomics or safety.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
Completely agree with the two posts above. When innovations are made it needs to be clear that they offer a tangible improvement on what went before. The smart phone over the basic mobile for example. Not sure we are getting that here and the issue of distracting the driver whilst he works out what to do is a serious safety concern as well.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »
Agree. I have this system on my HR-V too. The heating controls are not too bad but the Sat Nav / Audio panel is way too complicated. I tend to stick with the steering wheel controls when in motion but you still need to look at the display to see what is happening.

Also, this amount of glass and piano black finishing means I need to keep a micro fibre cloth in the car to keep the dust under control!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:59 PM »
A few more:
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Car manufacturers will be trying to put more and more core functionality into the touchsceen unit. It can provide a direct interface to the ECU which then controls everything and saves on the cost of providing buttons and knobs. We might even have to hope that the regulators intervene to fend off the trend. As already mentioned, these units require a lot of attention from the driver particularly because one has to keep watching to see if the device has taken notice of the latest finger jab. The Honda unit seems to be quite poor in this respect - I've lost count of the number of times I've had to poke at that annoying OK button for the safety warning. In fact, that warning is a safety hazard in its own right.

Ricardo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
I agree, its not particularly user friendly. A menu system is fine for a tablet or smartphone but not when driving.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
Perhaps the touch screen would be more user friendly if there were small raised 'pieces' that would give the operator the feel, but still have the same sleek look!!!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

jazzygirl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:00:18 PM »
Now with colder weather, I am dabbing away with a gloved finger, no good!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
You can buy special gloves that claim to be suitable for touchscreens. However, my touchscreen is not very responsive to an ungloved finger, never mind a gloved one. The OK button to get it started is particularly bad and constitutes a safety hazard because trying to get it to register is a distraction.

Perhaps it's time we started bombarding the head of Honda UK with a few letters about this? They might eventually take notice. Personally, I'm worried that the whole thing will die just after the warrant has expired. It's probably the least good bit of engineering in the vehicle.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:11 PM »

never found the need to wear gloves inside a modern car,  only my first one that had a heater consisting of a candle in a box (a proper early mini).  Was always amused by the different styles of driving gloves available though
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ricardo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz Sport Petrol Manual Transm.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53:47 PM »
I find it a bit distracting to see the album art on the screen when playing mp3's. I've managed to add the analog clock to the wallpaper but I can't figure out how to display the wallpaper when playing either mp3's or the radio.
Anybody don ethis yet?

Miles Right

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
Hi all.
Yes, I am in general agreement that the info system is too techy for its own good.

A. How bad is it you have to take your eyes off the road to turn of 'traffic reports' that are out of your area. Where has the simple button on the steering wheel gone!

B. Why can't there be a menu 'below' the ordinary audio one so that you have to agree to that if you want to? No other car with just a cd/radio ask you to consent to a disclaimer!

and while I'm at it.......Why can't I be allowed to control the lights myself if I want to? I'm a big boy now!

Tags: