Author Topic: Tyre Pressures  (Read 8222 times)

Bentleymop

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Metallic Deep Purple 1.4 EX
Tyre Pressures
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »
Does anyone know the correct pressures for Bridgestone 155/55/16 tyres.
I have the pressures for a fully loaded car & for towing but not for just driver/passenger only.

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Tyre Pressures
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
There is usually a sticker on the drivers door pillar, below the door catch, that details the various tyre pressures.

I think that generally the pressures you want are 32psi front and 30psi rear.

Vic.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Bridgestone 155/55/16 tyres.
Surely 185?

I don't know, but your door frame does.

On my 2006 SE (hence 15" size on sticker). At the rear edge of the frame is a sticker which gives the recommended pressures.

(VicW got in there while I was uploading a pic)

Here's the sticker on my car (click on image for larger view):
2014-04-15_16-19-41_712 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Now the left column has three different pressures. First line for up to two people and luggage. Second line for three to full load of car. Third line for towing. Also if you have a spare of spacesaver variety, that will be rock 'ard (60psi)

Can you confirm if your sticker has 2 or 3 lines?

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
And not to forget or teach anyone to suck eggs, but these are COLD pressures. Handbook defines cold as standing for at least 3 hours or driven less than 1 mile. A hot tyre will measure 4-6 psi more.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
And not to forget or teach anyone to suck eggs, but these are COLD pressures. Handbook defines cold as standing for at least 3 hours or driven less than 1 mile. A hot tyre will measure 4-6 psi more.

If tyre pressures are that critical I wonder why car makers don't give an ambient temperature (say standard pressure at '20degC' like most other things) and some kind of 'de-rating' figure to allow for ambient being below or above 'standard ambient'.  Even in the UK the ambient temperature can vary from -10degC in winter to 35degC in summer (most countries it varies way more than that) - and if the tyre is directly in the sun in our summer the sidewall can reach probably 60degC which would make quite a difference to the pressure in the tyre.   I bet a tyre driven for 3 hours in winter would still not get very warm, nowhere near as warm as a tyre standing on a hot tarmac drive in midsummer.

there is only 1 psi difference in front tyre pressure between 2 passengers and luggage and 5 passengers and luggage, and 3 psi on rear tyres.  A change in ambient temperature would make more difference than that.

one of the advantages of nitrogen filling is that the temperature does not affect pressure so much (the other is that because nitrogen molecules are bigger than 'normal' air molecules the pressure leaks away more slowly)

the date your tyre was manufactured is actually shown on the tyre.  The age of a tyre may be determined with the help of the DOT number.  Any tyre over 10 years old, even with a lot of tread should be changed due to deterioration of the rubber compound with age, irrespective of miles traveled.

you will find 'DOT' and a string of letters and numbers on the sidewall of your tyre -
example -   DOT EB V3 BRD 2305

The DOT numbers have had four digits since the year 2000. Since the 1st of January the DOT numbers have been stated in last four digits of the string . The first two digits state the calendar week; the last two digits indicate the production year.

Example:
2305 = 23rd calendar week 2005
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:50:45 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bentleymop

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I did mean 185 `s  :-[
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

Bentleymop

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
Only 2 lines on sticker & neither are for driver/passenger.

Thanks to everyone who has posted & I can now check to make sure they`re correct.

Cheers

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
Just use the non-towing one then.

I've just found a pic of a two-line sticker from a Civic, so I see what you mean now.

As you can seen from the above pics/figures, there's not a lot in it between empty and full and it's probably far better to check periodically just make sure they aren't a mile out.

Michelin mention 2 hours, 2 miles and 4-5psi difference between hot and cold. I'm sure other tyre manufacturers will have similar guides. http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/guide-for-tyre-pressure

Bentleymop

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
Thanks Eddie,I`ll go with 30/32 for now & see how I get on.

Mike
If it moves,Funk IT !!!

guest3250

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
30 rear and 32 front is fine
2.2 bar is actually 32.34 psi BTW - 1 bar is 14.7psi

I have the 195/55/16 and run them just 1 lb over and they
are perfect ad 31/33 for me

Tags:

anything