Author Topic: DC5 owner has just convinced the wife to switch to Honda  (Read 3498 times)

guest4624

DC5 owner has just convinced the wife to switch to Honda
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
Hi all,

Well I'm pretty familiar with how the whole forum thing works as I've been over on the DC5 owners forum for about 2 years now.

The wife currently has a 2007 Rav4 auto. Lovely car but very thirsty with its 2.0 petrol/auto combination. We'll be a little sorry to see it go but we wanted something a little more easy going on the pocket so I managed to convince her to think Honda. Ever since buying the DC5 I can't imagine owning anything other than a Honda now as they are such well built, fun and reliable cars.

So we are due to take delivery on a brand new 14 plate 1.4 CVT ES plus in pearl white next week. I'll get some photo's up in the relevant section once we take delivery.

I'll be honest and say I don't think I'll be able to leave it stock for long. I don't want to do too much as most of my money is going in to the DC5 but I can't help wanting to do a few little improvements to this Jazz when it gets here.

Would be happy to get some advice on the best companies to deal with regarding some basic mods and what the general rule of thumb is for squeezing the most out of the 1.4 lump is.

So far I've read that they don't really respond to any sort of breathing mods but would like you guys to confirm as i wouldn't want to waste my money in this area if there is nothing to be gained.

Plans are for it to be mostly visual like springs, alloys, maybe a wing and then a few little performance enhancements to unlock a bit more grunt if its there.

Cheers everyone,

Dave

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: DC5 owner has just convinced the wife to switch to Honda
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Hello and welcome Dave  8)

Love the DC5! What colour and mods have you got?  post some  pics us for us to drool over lol

There are a couple of us modders on the forum but I'm sure you'll will find that there are actually not a lot of mods readily available in the UK still  :(

There isnt much you can do to squeeze more out of the 1.4 ( in actually fact only a 1.33 really) unless you spend some serious money on it like fitting a turbo or K20. Even less available for an Auto.

I currently only have a K&N replacement panel filter with does help ever so slightly but its hardly noticable

guest4624

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Garyman, I was hoping I'd get a response from you as I saw your build thread and guessed you'd have a good idea of what could be done if anything to give a little more.

I noticed a Spoon panel filter on my searches earlier so perhaps I'll pick one of those up and leave it at that. I guess unless the ECU is made programmable by someone like Hondata then you only have the standard tolerances to work within. It's a shame really as I thought that if anything you could get more improvement from the CVT in that the changes could be tuned to be a little more performance orientated.

Having said that I've also read that one of the main bottlenecks to more output is the SOHC set up. Its all about finding the right point in tuning according to the car and a few breathing mods would have been enough really as its not worth shelling out a great deal on this one. Thanks for the confirmation anyway.

Here's a couple pictures of my DC5. I don't have many at the moment as I don't think there is a great deal to really show off. It's very much a project with lots still to do. I have a build thread if you're interested, just let me know which section to copy it over to and you can see the progress.  :)

IMG_0090[1] by davidpingu, on Flickr

Untitled by davidpingu, on Flickr

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
Haha- nice one  8)

As you know, i've got the K&N panel filter and was going to get the Spoon one but found out that you cannt wash/clean them like you can with the K&N with the recharger kit.

Due to that, I managed to get another K&N on ebay so now i have one in the car and one ready to swap over as and when i want lol

Tags: