Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 4793 times)

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
exhaust
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:47 PM »
I finally fitted stainless steel exhaust I've got from states
unfortunately it sounds too sporty for my liking, not exactly as described "you will hear it only at high rpms", but it's too late to complain. It's really sad one can't get cheapish stainless replacement of oem exhaust w/o all this extra bhp and sound features.

So here we go, what is the best way to go with cheap replacement for 5-6 years, ebay/kwikfit/eurocarparts ones are all pretty much same price and 1 year warranty. Will it really last 1 year?
Did anyone have experience with this?

guest3858

Re: exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
Hi if you want a custom exaust try Longlife exaust  but if you fit one from a fast fit chain like quick fit,ats the 1 year warranty is normal depends where and how you use your car normaly an exaust last at least 3 years.hope it helps

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »
The  Honda exhaust fitted to Jazz will last about 9 to 10 years,  any one you buy after from Quickfit, ATS etc will last 2 to 3 years.

you can get Genuine Honda one for a reasonable price,  or insist on Bosal or another good make from a decent local garage.   Don't leave it till it breaks, because then you end up getting one in a Hurry from one of the big national chains and they are not best quality.  The back box on my wifes Jazz fell off (lots of speed bumps and potholes where we live) and to be honest it wasn't too noisy at all.   The thing about Jazz is that when they try to get front pipe off (one that is bolted to CAT) they can damage the CAT and will cost you hundreds to replace.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
thanks guys, yeah, 2-3 years is not too good

Hi if you want a custom exaust try Longlife exaust
afair Longlife charges around 350-400 for catback, custom must be more
will check with them if they could do only insertable silencer though..

The  Honda exhaust fitted to Jazz will last about 9 to 10 years,  any one you buy after from Quickfit, ATS etc will last 2 to 3 years.

you can get Genuine Honda one for a reasonable price,  or insist on Bosal or another good make from a decent local garage.   Don't leave it till it breaks, because then you end up getting one in a Hurry from one of the big national chains and they are not best quality.  The back box on my wifes Jazz fell off (lots of speed bumps and potholes where we live) and to be honest it wasn't too noisy at all.   The thing about Jazz is that when they try to get front pipe off (one that is bolted to CAT) they can damage the CAT and will cost you hundreds to replace.

yeah, I would happily use hondas, but not easy to get at discount, seen some on ebay, not there anymore :(
thanks for "Bosal", probably will go this route

dg

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »
The thing about Jazz is that when they try to get front pipe off (one that is bolted to CAT) they can damage the CAT and will cost you hundreds to replace.

wasted whole weekend trying to saw off midsection from the cat myself, could not do 1 bolt, gave up and went to garage, hopefully they were not too harsh, will see at the next MOT :)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
The exhaust fitted to a 1984 Honda Ballade, which is in daily use by a friend's wife and has covered 670000km still has the original exhaust up to the last box, which got damaged a few years back reversing into a kerb.  The last silencer box was replaced in 2003 and this one lasted 9 years, the rest of the system is original (29 years)

The local Honda dealer put it down to the thickness of the metal (2mm).  The car was featured at the Crankhandle Club's show as a car with the longest lasting original parts.  Only the flappy headlamp surrounds have ever been replaced (apart from batteries and tyres).  Second in that competition was a 1956 Mercedes 190S which only had some suspension parts replaced.

They certainly don't make them like that any more.
If music be the food of love, play on

Twin_Cam_Turbo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Honda Jazz sport
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
DG, I suggest you repack the rear box if you want to quieten it down.

There are plenty of links around Google on re-packing exhausts. Grind the box apart, pack it heavier and then take it to a fabricators and get them to TIG it back together. Exhaust packing is readily available and usually marketed for motorcycle race system rebuilds.

Then perhaps have them extend or convolute the baffle a little more (I presume it has a removable baffle).

Tags: