Author Topic: strange scraping sound  (Read 6158 times)

Jen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 manual
strange scraping sound
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
This week my 2008 1.4 manual Jaz has started to make an intermittent scraping sound. It seems to be coming from the front off side wheel, it can happen at any time and lasts for a few seconds.  It had a service and MOT 4 weeks ago.  Only recommendation was to have the brake pads changed in the next 3 or 4 months.  Front brake pads were 80% and rear ones were 70%.  Mileage is 32000.

guest3858

Re: strange scraping sound
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Do you hear the scratching sound only when you brake???if yes you need new pads a.s.a.p.  if you keep driving with low pads you risk damaging to  your discs which they will need replacing too.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
You also might have picked up a bit of grit.  Best take off the wheel and inspect both sides of the disc to see if there is any damage
If music be the food of love, play on

Jen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:52:53 PM »
Hi.  It does not happen when I am braking.  It will start when I am into a journey and stops immediately I dab the brakes.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »
could it be the thin metal guard behind the brake disc, i had it on my polo years ago when it warmed up it rubbed on the disc and made a scraping noise and i just bent it away from the disc and it went away. it was always quiet for a few minutes into the drive until it warmed up

caseyjones

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
I don't think this is serious. Most probable explanation is that one of the pads is slightly tight in the caliper so that it's not moving fully off the disc when the brakes are released. If you can stop it with a quick dab of the brakes, then just do that. Or ignore it. If you really want to do something about it, then you could remove the brake pads and thoroughly brush everything off - discs, pads and calipers. Then reassemble, lightly lubricating the various points as you would if replacing the pads. If you don't feel competent to do it yourself, get your friendly local garage to do it - shouldn't cost too much.

guest3824

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
Have you run over somebody And they're trapped?? >:D

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
best to have the brake pads changed they do have a audible wear indicator when the pads are low.

Jen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
Many thanks everyone.  Will give our local dealer a ring and get the break pads changed.

Jazz Hands

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
Many thanks everyone.  Will give our local dealer a ring and get the break pads changed.

or you could try a local trusted independant. 

Honda twice tried it on with me when I bought a new Type R and a new Accord 2.4EX

1st service on both cars I was told I needed new discs [circa £300 for the privelidge], when I expressed my opinion that a new car with 12k miles on it which needed new discs wasn't fit for purpose they soon changed their stance, and on both cars were done free of charge.

my local independant supplier is quoting the following on parts........

front pads £38.30
rear pads £16.87
front discs £13.90 each
rear discs not listed atm but would guess similar to front

fitting time no more than 2 hrs toal

please post what your dealer would like to charge you :)

caseyjones

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
Please don't go and throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer. They'll probably try to sell you new discs and quite possibly new wheels and tyres as well. From what you say about your last MOT, you don't need new pads. If the wear indicator were contacting the disc it would be screaming, not gently scraping. Believe me, it's quite unmistakeable. I stand by the advice I gave earlier.

Tags:

anything