Author Topic: Barely Legal Drivers  (Read 8898 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Barely Legal Drivers
« on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
Did anyone see this on BBC3? Shocking!  :o

On BBC iplayer (probably won't work outside the UK):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rrxyw/Barely_Legal_Drivers_Tommy_and_Chantelle/

(Contains very strong language).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:57:58 PM by RichardA »

guest3824

Re: Barely Legal Drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »
Had to turn it off before I put my foot through the telly.

The Vicky Pollard wannabe especially irked me.

Do girls really aspire to be Katie Price? We're doomed I tell you!!

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
Reminds me of the drivers around here.  No thought for other road users and pedestrians

(You can access iplayer by using a masked IP address if you live outside the UK)
If music be the food of love, play on

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »
One edition - maybe tonight's - features someone with a blue Jazz. Anyone here want to own up?  ;D

Meanwhile the Police are investigating into some of the driving on the show:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307414/Barely-Legal-Drivers-Police-probe-BBC-reality-300-complain-teen-motorists.html

One driver, 19-year-old Chantelle Jeffries, was seen shouting obscenities as she drove recklessly on the programme.

Avon and Somerset Constabulary, Jefferies’ local force, is looking into the behaviour shown on the series.

‘We are investigating the driving offences being committed on the programme and are considering prosecution,’ Superintendent Paul Richards said.

‘At the very least, we condemn such irresponsible behaviour and would reassure everyone that we treat it extremely seriously.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/11/bbcs-barely-legal-drivers-under-fire-after-300-complaints-3593262/

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Its not just young people who are bad drivers.  This isn't a bad driving story, but relates to what happens to old people.

A construction firm was clearing up after a 2-year project and lifted up their skip for removal.  Behind there was a 1993 Mercedes Benz.  After about 6 weeks, the parking attendants realised that the car had not moved and actually, the tyres were going down, so they called the police.

The car had been reported stolen by the owner in 2010.  She came out the mall, could not remember where the car was parked, assumed it had been stolen and went home.  It was "hidden" behind the skip which was in a corner of the parking area.  There has been a rope blocking the entrance, but said lady removed this and put her car in the gap.

She had to repay the insurance co who met her claim 6 weeks after she reported it missing

guest3735

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »
i've got to comment on this one.... *climbs on soapbox!*
programmes such as this have wound me up in the past and as a result i tend not to watch them... either they're on in the canteen at work or i get a bit on a late night show when i've finished work (professional lorry driver). it sticks in my throat when i witness the standard of driving from a good portion of the "drivers" on the road today, be they young, old, male, female, professional or social and domestic.... i'm coming across as a grumpy old git, but i'm only late thirties... i just happen to be proud of a car/ lorry i've worked hard to get.... and i despair at the way a lot of people either don't care, or more scary, don't know how to drive. to make these people "celebrities" is just salt in the wound.
my pet hates in no particular order....
foglights
lane discipline
lack of indicators
lack of care and attention/ consideration for others
lack of anticipation

maybe i am a grumpy old git, but i care about these things....i'm no saint but it gets up my nose and it may be time for the care home!

*climbs off soapbox*

any thoughts anyone? or is it just me?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
I have asked the BBC for a refund on my licence fee for this type of entertainment, have any of the "stars" been fined? I doubt it.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »
I think the BBC is hell-bent on ratings, like many US based TV shows - that awful Fashion channel for instance, who seem to worship the Kardashians, who even wear designer sleeping clothes

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
I have asked the BBC for a refund on my licence fee for this type of entertainment, have any of the "stars" been fined? I doubt it.

Exactly. There is a time limit for prosecutions to be instigated (six months after date of offence?) and I suspect this show was filmed at least during the tail end of last year so I'd very surprised if anything becomes of it.

guest436

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
What a contrast. Recently BBC3 showed an excellent drama called 'Crash' focusing on the fall out after a fatal car crash, only then to sink back to into it's comfort zone of downmarket TV with this show

However, this show does demonstrate that attitude plays a big part in driving. I passed my driving first time and my instructor said I had naturally good car control and attention, but that didn't stop me behaving like a right bellend sometimes behind the wheel. I suffered from over-confidence and an opinion of invincibility when I was the same age as these guys.

Filming these young drivers and showing them the error of the ways is a good idea, but the format of the show trivializes their antics and giving them the chance to win a car at the discretion of their parents (who's little darlings never do anything wrong!  ::)) is just plain stupid.

Anyone remember 'So You Think You're a Good Driver?' on the BBC back in the late 90s presented by Nick Ross? That was good because it was constructive and it started to make me think about my driving at the time.

Edit: Oh and don't get me started on that ex-traffic cop woman! How she didn't pick up on the terrible lane discipline of the girl with the Prius (in spite of the girl's driving instructor dad pointing it out)!  >:(

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
To me, the programme demonstrates the need for a probationary period for people who have recently passed their tests. eg no more than one other person under 25 in the vehicle; home by 10pm; only allowed to drive relatively low performance vehicles for the first year, etc.

Such measures both for their own safety and for others.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:01:06 AM »
One solution - implementation of Google's idea of self-drive cars:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/147940-google-self-driving-cars-in-3-5-years-feds-not-so-fast

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
To me, the programme demonstrates the need for a probationary period for people who have recently passed their tests. eg no more than one other person under 25 in the vehicle; home by 10pm; only allowed to drive relatively low performance vehicles for the first year, etc.

Such measures both for their own safety and for others.

John

Home by 10pm might be a problem as some drivers in this age group work evenings to fit around college.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »
Laws are not going to stop this problem.  It is education, education, education.  The mind-set of these young people needs to be changed from an "I am entitled" culture to respect for other people.  This will take years of retraining and the only way to achieve it with today's youngsters is to pull them over when they have misbehaved and compel them to go to an advanced driving course where they must satisfy the teacher that they can manage a car in a responsible manner.  Not just once, but over and over until it sinks in.  The UK has a demerit system for driving licences I believe, so the first part of the infrastructure is in place.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »
in Australia newly qualified drivers HAVE to by law wear green and white 'P' plates on their vehicle for first 12 months.  If they break the law during first 12 months they get licence taken away and have to re-take their test (and drink driving blood alcohol is only half the set limit if you are a 'P' plater)..   Also it is an offence to have 'L' plates on the car unless it actually being driven by a learner driver (so they have magnetic ones that are easy to put on and take off)
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: