Author Topic: gearbox bearings noizy first second gear ?  (Read 6292 times)

guest2916

gearbox bearings noizy first second gear ?
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
HI Guys we have noticed over the last few months that when the car starts off in first gear then all the way through untill third That it sounds almost as if its electric ? we went to the garage today and the mechanic went for a short spin with us in the car, He said rightaway that it was the barings were going in the gearbox. if we brought the car in he would fix it clean it up re lub ect for £400, any info would be great guys especially if we can postone this for a few weeks untill i can get the cash  :'(

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: gearbox bearings noizy first second gear ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
Noisy gearbox bearings are rare.  But ask him if the £400 includes all the major bearings, or just the ones that seem to be noisy (difficult to diagnose which one).  They could be idler bearings, or main shaft, etc.

Don't wait until the gearbox seizes.  Friends wife did that in her Golf and then had to pay a towing charge as well.
If music be the food of love, play on

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »
cheaper to trade in a get rid of the problem that way

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
Only got the car last november so the trade in isnt an option not at the moment anyway. But have been told about hondas extented warrenty on all jazz 2002-2008 manual gearbox of up to 100.000 miles so have emailed honda and will wait and see what they say

Sent from a galaxy far far away using Tapatalk 2

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
Hi Guys just to let anybody know that hondas extended warranty on all manual gearboxes or up to 100.000 miles or 7 years is true for all manual gearboxes and will be fixed free of charge. Our own warranty runs out on the 31/3  and the car has done 79000 so just made it :))

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Hi Guys just to let anybody know that hondas extended warranty on all manual gearboxes or up to 100.000 miles or 7 years is true for all manual gearboxes and will be fixed free of charge. Our own warranty runs out on the 31/3  and the car has done 79000 so just made it :))

thats good news lol cutting it fine

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
Cheers Dave yea mate was thinking as it was easter they might shut up shop untill the tuesday then it would have been two late, The car at the moment is in getting sorted as i write and was quoted around £1300.00  :o if we were to pay so thank fu** i found a we thread on the net and if this can help any other jazz owner out there then thats cool

guest2916

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »
Hi guys just a wee update. Got the car back on saturday morning from honda. The gearbox bearings all got replaced  total cost 39.99. Standard fee for checking over the car.  i Also replaced the battery on wednesday night so fingers crossed the car is feeling lovely and smooth to drive at the moment and also feels a bit more nippy so to speak. Cheers frank

Tags: