Author Topic: Silly one - OBD II  (Read 12775 times)

guest3318

Silly one - OBD II
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
Hi H lovers.

I have silly Q! I googled but still not sure. :-[ Does my GD1 have OBD II connector.
I downloaded few apps for my iPhone and I now I need something to connect the phone7app and my car.

THANK YOU!

guest3776

• Topic Starter
Re: Silly one - OBD II
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
I am 99.9% sure you have a OBDII plug.

Try looking just above your right foot, - thats where it is in my GE, it is a grey plug.

tetsky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 nighthawk black 1.4 idsi se
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
Your obd2 connector is just under the plastic console inline with clutch pedal...you can actually feel it when you run your hands under.

sent from my galaxy note 2 using tapatalk

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »
Do you have an OBD II reader?  There are several different models at the locksmiths shop and do different things, mainly to do with key-codes, but can also look at the items in the menu.  All are from China and were not too expensive
If music be the food of love, play on

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
I bought one of these: http://tinyurl.com/cos9sty

Works very well and very robust.

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »
That is one of the ones we have, but your current price is much lower than the shop paid.  I think it was about $80 a few years back, but we did get a lot of accessories with it.  The first one we got would only display in Spanish, but they swapped it

guest3318

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
TNX! :)
Well... I have iPhone4 abd few apps (DashCommand, Torque,...) and I would like to try them. Now when I know I have OBD II connector I will have to figure it out which device should I buy.
As I know iPhone is not user friendly as Android where you can easely search for new device (WiFi or BT), pair/connect it and you're ready to go.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »
TNX! :)
Well... I have iPhone4 abd few apps (DashCommand, Torque,...) and I would like to try them. Now when I know I have OBD II connector I will have to figure it out which device should I buy.
As I know iPhone is not user friendly as Android where you can easely search for new device (WiFi or BT), pair/connect it and you're ready to go.

Let me know how you get on as I've been thinking of doing the same.

The one I'ev looked at is the PLX Wifi but costs about £100 so not quite worth it.  eBay has some cheaper options at around £40 but dont want to spend that amount of money then finding out it doesnt work!

chrisc

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »
The trick is getting the right adaptor for the device.  Regular OBD plugs power the reader, but you don't need that so you have to search for the correct one.  At least the entire Honda range uses the same connector.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
I am very interested in this subject...I didn't know it was even possible. So can someone just confirm my very basic understanding of the options:

I can buy a device like http://tinyurl.com/cos9sty and plug it straight in to the OBD port, and see the diagnostic info while plugged in.

or

I can buy a wireless device which plugs into the port, stays there all the time and see the diagnostic info on my iPhone with an app like DashCommand

Thanks

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
I am very interested in this subject...I didn't know it was even possible. So can someone just confirm my very basic understanding of the options:

I can buy a device like http://tinyurl.com/cos9sty and plug it straight in to the OBD port, and see the diagnostic info while plugged in.

This is only a diagnostic machine so will only show up fault codes if anything is wrong with the car

I can buy a wireless device which plugs into the port, stays there all the time and see the diagnostic info on my iPhone with an app like DashCommand

This option is more what myself and Powerpig is looking to get where combined with the app, you can get additional information like Air Temperature, rev, speed, engine temp, oil temp etc (app permitting)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
Isn't this how dealers code blank keys?

Maybe this will explain how this happened....

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2906.0

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
from what I read trying to code my keys w/o going to the dealer, new key could be coded if u have one already by copying key from there. if u have no keys it's done only through the dealer proving ownership and they could generate new keys, must be some central db with private keys.. dunno

Tags:

anything