Author Topic: squeek from engine bay?  (Read 8131 times)

guest3860

squeek from engine bay?
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »
Found a couple of issues with my Jazz since purchase; one of them is a squeek that seems to be coming from the front end of the car (I'm assuming engine bay) almost like a fan belt maybe? It doesn't make the noise permanently but it can occur when travelling at any speed and also even when I dip the clutch it still makes the same noise. Anyone heard of/come across similar? I'm a bit worried it might be the Cambelt, but thought these engines had chains??

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: squeek from engine bay?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Try spraying the auxiliary drive belt with silicone spray to see if it quietens it down. A screeching noise particularly when the engine is under load may mean the belt needs tightening.

guest3860

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
Auxiliary drive belt? I take it it isn't catostrophic if it fails like a cambelt?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
The Auxiliary drive belt is driven by  the crankshaft pulley and drives the alternator (and possibly the A/C). In the old days it would have also turned the engine cooling fan and some people still refer to it as the fan belt. I have recently sprayed my daughter's belt (at tickover to ensure the entire belt is covered)  and it certainly made it quieter.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »
Chain driven cam, no cambelt.
Could be caused by waterpump getting sticky or starting to seize - or one of the pulleys the belt runs on... if it's 80,000 miles or more. Spray the belt with a little water (or silicone) and if squeak doesn't diminish/disappear it could be a pulley or alternator or waterpump.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Spray the belt with a little water (or silicone) and if squeak doesn't diminish/disappear it could be a pulley or alternator or waterpump.

spraying a friction drive belt with silicon (which is a very slippery and long lasting lubricant)  is asking for trouble,  belt may be slipping because it is loose and that is what is causing the squeak.  Try loading up the alternator with headlights, heated windows etc and blipping the throttle,  this may cause squeak to happen if belt is loose.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
I had a similar squeak years ago on a Mazda 323 caused by an auxiliary drive /fan belt. This tended to do it when engine cold, and was cured by replacing the belt. Since then I have seen a belt lubricant /cleaner in various places such as here   http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/Lubricants+Sprays/V+Belt+Spray+400ml/d60/sd2795/p25485
 This might help you identify your problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
A belt normally squeals because it is worn or loose.  A belt dressing spray (which is a bit like an adhesive) will temporarily give it a bit more grip, but will wear off pretty quickly and you will be back to square one.

all you need to do is slacken off the alternator pivot bolts and wind the tensioner in a little bit, if you over-tighten it you wont break the belt but will give the alternator,  water pump and aircon pump bearings a hard time because of the extra load. 

Modern poly-vee  belts are made from polyurethane and use either polyester, glassfibre or steel cords as tension members and are incredibly tough and  long lasting. I once went to order a new belt for my Jazz from Honda after 50K and the salesman said the belts do not have a finite life,  you only replace them when visible cracks appear,  he had never replaced the one on his Integra and it had done about 140K.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: