Author Topic: anyone had a leaking tailgate ?  (Read 3129 times)

guest3781

anyone had a leaking tailgate ?
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
 :(My recently bought jazz 1.4 cvt (07), has an ingress of rainwater which floods the bootwell. Does anyone have experience of this, and if so, how do i remedy ?

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: anyone had a leaking tailgate ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
One of my work cars did this and after a bit of fiddling, we found a gap in the spare wheel well that was allowing water in when the car was driven over a wet road.  There are all kinds of gaps and holes that are meant to be plugged with rubber stoppers, etc

If you suspect the tailgate, move a piece of plastic (credit card size) around the rubber seal and see if there are any gaps.  The other way to do it is run some chalk (preferably coloured) on the rubber, close the door several times and see if there are any areas where the chalk has not transferred to the body.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
 ;D
hi yes very common on gd jazzes...

guest3781

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
thanks for your input Chris.This is clean water which you can see running downward and into the boot from behind the interior trim . Although I do not have a warranty, the garage from where I bought the car, have booked it in on the 07/01/13, to have a go at sourcing the leak and sealing it off.
Yes, I believe this has been a problem with Jazzes in the past,for which Honda increased the warranty to 6yrs,or 62,000 miles to cover it.Unfortunately, my Jazz mileage is beyond that .

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
Sounds like replacing the seals on an old fridge!  Can be fiddly and running a hose pipe over the roof does not mimic the problem.  I used red chalk on an Opel's tailgate to find the bit that was not making a proper seal.  Turned out to be a piece in the centre about 10mm long which seemed to have collapsed.  The replacement seal was not that expensive and I glued it in place.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3906

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
Hi , remove the hatch lid trim, remove plastic sheet , then use aluminum tape (adhesive type) to cover the area which the plastic sheet once covered. water will now drip down to drain holes provided in the hatch lid instead of leaking through the plastic liner which is a common fault on some jazz models.

Tags:

anything