Author Topic: Main beam problem  (Read 11459 times)

stevie d

• Approved Member
Main beam problem
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
On the way to work this morning on a short section of unlit road, when I switched to main beam the headlights went off completely.This also happens when I try to use the flasher :(.Side lights and low beam are fine.Does this just mean that the bulbs need replacing or is something else wrong.
Thanks  Steve.

guest1583

Re: Main beam problem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
hi
do you mean the high beam itself?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Since there are no lights on main beam or flasher it does sound like both bulbs have gone,an unfortunate coincidence because the bulbs are a pain to change being accessed through the front wheel arches.

It could be fuse or a relay but I am not sure of the wiring circuitry but since you have to gain access to the bulbs to change them then you can check for voltage at the bulbs when you select high beam.

Vic.

stevie d

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:01:17 AM »
Ive never known two bulbs to go at the same time but of course that doesnt mean it can't happen.Iwill try bulbs first and take it from there.Ive heard that the bulbs are a pain in the butt to change as well.Got a couple of days off next week so will have some time to do it.
Thanks  Steve.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
If you go to the bulbs first time it can take a while but I believe I could replace mine in 3 minutes/side.
Try to jack up the side you are working on so you`ll have more room above the wheels,  ;).

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
Take one bulb out and check it with a meter. I have an idea it might be a relay/dodgy contacts
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1844

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »
Have you had the headlight switch recall work done? The original fault was for low beam:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=64DEB4C9482477DC802577FB004DDF19&freeText=Blank&tx=VOSA
It can't be fuses as the Hi/Lo beam shares the same fuse (Left is separately fused from right though). Strange, as the low beam gets much more use and they blow first. My guess is it's not the bulbs, not both at the same time.

stevie d

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
It was actually the switch,got a replacement indicator stalk and swapped them over and all is now good!The recall work had been done but the switch for the high beam is on the indicator stalk whereas the headlight switch is on the barrel.Thanks to everyone who replied and sorry Im so late getting back about tit.
Steve.

johnnycab

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz?Fit 2002 Automatic IMPORT
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
Morning guys. I'm a bit late to the party but I have the exact same problem.

Bought some Osram Night Breakers (Best Bulbs EVER) and on way back from work lights completely failed. After some investigation, headlights work but main beam fails AND also headlights fail. I thought the main beam used the 2nd filament of the H4 bulb but there is NO LIGHT when main beam is on either permanently or flashed.  Side lights not affected.
Doubt its a fuse as headlights work. Doubt its a relay for the same reason. Blue light appears on dash but NO LIGHT at front. I still have my old bulbs so may try to swap them out just in case BOTH lights failed at the same time (unlikely but i need to check)

I think...as suggested....that I need to try a indicator stalk. My biggest problem is that My "Jazz" is actually a "Fit" so the indicator stalk is the opposite way round. I need a headlight/indicator stalk on the RIGHT hand side....mmmm....any ideas where I'll get one. Ebay and other internet searches are only showing jazz replacements.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 12:42:10 PM »
If the blue light comes on the switch is okay. I'll check the wiring diagram and get back to you.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 01:17:57 PM »
Check fuses. ( Tend to fail with age - like Jazz drivers then :-X)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 02:55:50 PM »
There is one fuse for each headlight, main and dipped beam and one relay for both lights high and dipped beam, so the fact the dips work confirms the fuses and relay are okay.
The lights are switched via earthing through the combination switch so despite the blue light coming on the switch could be faulty.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i004.HTML

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 04:31:32 PM »
I'd double check you have fully inserted the connector onto the bulb terminals    You might have made the same mistake on both bulbs and they both worked loose when driving home. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything