Author Topic: Cruise control  (Read 7130 times)

guest2981

Cruise control
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:22 AM »
Hi,

New Hybrid in December last year.  Very happy so far getting about 60+ to the gallon at present.  I have one small problem.  When I engage Cruise control the car runs OK but then on any incline it will slow down by as much as 5mph before the cruise decides to accelerate back up to the set speed,  This acceleration seems to come with a very "disconcerting rush" giving the impression it is not going to stop.  The same thing happens on an incline.  This +/- 5mph seems wrong to me.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Cruise control
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
Can't comment on the Hybrid, but have recently done a check on my EX.
Travelling on a motorway at 70mph and coping with motorway gradients the Cruise Control will generally hold the speed to +/-1mph.
I have had the odd occasion when the system seems to go 'mad' and gives full acceleration to return to the set speed, but generally this only occurs on local hilly routes. Even then, then speed does not vary anything like the +/-5mph quoted by Perfidious. The system also copes quite well when running at 30mph, when a similar +/-1mph tolerance is maintained.

The speeds are monitored using the satnav rather than the speedometer as it is more accurate.
I accept that +/-1mph would be difficult to assess via the speedo. At a satnav speed of 70mph the speedo is reading around 72mph which is within manufacturing tolerancs.

I would suggest that +/-5mph is a bit OTT and needs looking at.

caseyjones

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
Ditto to all the above. I've used the cruise control on my EX at various speeds on the motorway, monitored with the satnav, and I've been very impressed with its ability to hold a steady speed. It's unusual if it varies by as much as 1 mph.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
I have a hybrid, and the speed on cruise varies by a small amount, but not as much as 5 mph, maybe 1-2 mph on hills, although they aren't usually steep hills. I will keep an eye on it.

Ozzie

guest809

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Cruise on our petrol EX generally works well and certainly doesn't give the 5 MPH error you describe.

As a separate issue I don't think it is as smooth as systems I have had on my other cars and I get the sensation of a series of tiny surges of 1 or 2 MPH and then off and then 1 or 2 MPH again, but that is not anywhere as noticeable as your problem.

guest3001

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
I have the same +/- 5 mph on my Hybrid and like you, Perfidious, noticed the car going up short hills rather rapidly. Perhaps it's combination of angle plus the length of climb?
On the motorway it's fine.

guest2981

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:36 AM »
Many thanks for all the replies.  I think it may be that I don't use the motorways very much it must be to do with local roads and steep inclines.  Thanks again I will get it checked at the first service.

Perfidious

guest3292

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
I have just done a long motorway trip in my hybrid and used the cruise control a fair amount - I found it held the speed very well, but with a definite loss of 2 or 3 indicated mpg against normal driving no doubt due to it using power to maintain a constant speed up hills etc.

guest3331

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »
Assuming its the same system as the Insight, econ mode allows more variation on hills. Normal or sport keep more closely to the set speed.

Tags:

anything