Author Topic: Spare wheel decals/stickers?  (Read 8463 times)

Aitcho

Spare wheel decals/stickers?
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
I want to carry a spare wheel but not a space saver but one that can be used with either a winter or summer tyre so technically it has to be marked as an emergency wheel with a 50mph speed restriction.

What I am thinking of doing is buying a FZD 7805 (15") steel wheel and pairing it with a 175/65 R15 'all season tyre' which I have been told will be fine to use with both winter tyres (R15) and summer tyres (R16) providing it is marked as an emergency wheel.

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy decals/stickers marked 'emergency wheel' and also speed restriction signs for 50mph and 80kph to keep it all legal.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Spare wheel decals/stickers?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
I'm a bit confused, what size road wheels do you have?

If you have a full size spare, the same size as your road wheels, you don't need any stickers.

Oz

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
Hi Oz, my intention was to use a 15" steel spare fitted with an all season tyre 175/65 R16 which has an unusual tread pattern one half of the tyre has a summer tread pattern the other half winter tread pattern.

My summer tyres are Dunlop 2030 size 185/55 R16 on alloy wheels and at the moment I have switched to winter tyres which are Nokian WR D3 size 175/65 R15 on steel wheels I have been advised using a spare in the configuration I want (IE an all terrain tread pattern and also dependent on which wheel size is in use) is the equivalent of using a space saver type spare wheel and would be restricted to 50mph use.

So it would be a 15in steel  spare being used with a winter 15in and alternatively a summer 16in setup using a different tread design to either tyre/wheel combination.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Right . . . . it seems that you are making a problem for yourself.

If you have 16" alloys, why not get 16" steel wheels for winter tyres and get a 16" steel spare with a winter tyre, as it hopefully won't be used anyway . . . . thats what I would do, but I guess you have some other motivation to do it the way you are  :D

Oz

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
what a fuss over a spare wheel which you probably will never use. ;)

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
Right . . . . it seems that you are making a problem for yourself.
Oz

Oz I've never taken the easy logical route and don't mind a challenge!  :)

All the hours of trawling websites seeking information on the best value and ideal performing size of tyre led me to the 15" one.

On cost of tyres alone a Bridgestone Blizzak R15 is £61.10 and a Bridgestone Blizzak R16 is £145 which means a saving of £83.90 per tyre multiplied by four and it mounts up.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
what a fuss over a spare wheel which you probably will never use. ;)

On the surface I could not agree with you more!  :)  What I never mentioned is that I am a disabled driver and having a spare wheel is more important to me than most other drivers.

I hope that I'll never need to use a spare but it is reassuring to know that with one I will not be stranded somewhere providing that there is someone around to fit it like the RAC!

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »
The 15" and 16" sizes are different...
If you have the summer tyres on (16") and you have puncture do you really want to install your 15" spare wheel?!
Imagine if you put on the front nearside the 15" wheel and keep on the offside the 16" one. Which way will your car go (or turn)? (and you have to keep it on the road)

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
The 15" and 16" sizes are different...

The difference in diameter between the 15" and 16" wheels with the tyre specifications I have mentioned previously is "-1mm".

People are already using 15" space savers with a suitable tyre with their 16" wheels, they are only used in an emergency at a restricted top speed of 50mph.

I have sought information elsewhere regarding legality and safety of using a spare wheel with the specification I have already mentioned restricted to 50mph top speed.

DV

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
The difference in diameter between the 15" and 16" wheels with the tyre specifications I have mentioned previously is "-1mm".

My mistake, sorry. 1mm difference is nothing, you can go with it.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:22 AM »
DV I did not believe that a 15" and 16" wheel could more or less have the same diameter dependent on tyre used.

In my motorcycling days before tubeless tyres for motorcycles were around and you could afford to experiment with different types of tyre I fitted a set of tyres that were almost a semi slick but did not realise that they had a smaller profile than my usual tyres.

I then set off from home on a circular route to test how they rode and part way through the journey noticed a police car trailing me I stuck religiously to all speed limits took to quieter roads and they stayed with me!

Eventually I arrived back home still with the police in tow and parked my bike in our path with the police car parked outside, two bemused officers approached me and said that the only reason they followed me was that they were very intrigued as to why I was doing a constant 35mph in a 30mph zone with impeccable riding when they knew that I was aware that they were following me!

I was adamant that I'd stuck to all speed restrictions according to my speedometer on the roads travelled, and then they spotted the old tyres that I'd left laying on the floor whilst testing my bike and things then become obvious to them although not to me! Unbeknown to me I had altered the overall  diameter of my tyres which in turn meant that my speedometer no longer gave a true reading. Instead of getting a speeding ticket the police gave me some helpful advice on tyres in general and we all parted best of mates.  ;D

That was my first lesson in what effect changing tyres can have a lesson never forgotten and since that episode I have always consulted tyre charts and especially now the ever helpful 'tyre conversion' ones on the web whereby you can input details  of  two or three different tyres and it will then give various details not only relating to tyre diameter but also likely alterations to speed shown by your speedometer.

DV

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
Aitcho Nice story!
I think you meant such a tyre size calculator: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html.
185/55/16 - 175/65/15.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Thanks for that link to the tyre calculator, it is a much more detailed version than the ones I have been using, particularly liked the visual of the tyre.

Have bookmarked that site for future use.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
DV I did not believe that a 15" and 16" wheel could more or less have the same diameter dependent on tyre used.

That was my first lesson in what effect changing tyres can have a lesson never forgotten and since that episode I have always consulted tyre charts and especially now the ever helpful 'tyre conversion' ones on the web whereby you can input details  of  two or three different tyres and it will then give various details not only relating to tyre diameter but also likely alterations to speed shown by your speedometer.

This is the exact reason why, despite all the calls from what I call 'do-gooding naive speed limit enforcers' that the speed cameras be set to trigger at 30.25mph in a 30 zone etc. - in other words zero-tolerance speed limit enforcement, the police have not done it.  The accuracy of a car speedometer is affected by tyre size, and legally only has to be within 10% accuracy, manufacturers normally err on the safe side and most speedometers show a higher speed than you are actually travelling.  The police know that they could never enforce such tight speed limits because of variations in tyre size and variations in different speedometers and prefer to go for the more easily enforcible '10% + 2mph' speed camera settings.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: