Author Topic: Rear brake pads sticking to Discs.  (Read 10311 times)

guest2865

Rear brake pads sticking to Discs.
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:09:06 PM »
My Jazz ES 1.4 has only 600 miles on the clock and I am  now starting to experience a fault that I had most of the time with my Civic  =  the rear pads sticking to the discs when the handbrake is released - this is worst when the weather was wet or the car had just been washed and put away.  Moving off results in a thump as the pads release.  It is not due to sticking in the mechanism - it is simply due to the pads sticking to the discs for some reason.

Had hoped to leave this 'effect' behind when I got the Jazz.

guest2928

• Topic Starter
Re: Rear brake pads sticking to Discs.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »
I've noticed my Jazz does this too. It's annoying.

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
I'm afraid that this is a problem that affects nearly all Jazz with disc rear brakes. What you are actually experiencing is the pads being virtually 'welded' to the discs when the car is left with moisture on the discs. When you come to drive off the nasty horrible thump you feel is the pads coming 'unglued' from the discs. My Honda dealer assures me that this is normal and harmless although it doesn't feel it. It's not just a problem with Hondas either.

The only answer the dealer could come up with was to park the car in first or reverse gear, or on my auto CVT Jazz, in 'Park' with the handbrake left off. This works but then my car is parked on a level surface in a garage, I wouldn't like to try this on a hill!

Peter in Devon

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
Same problem here...and wash the car, next morning front brakes grind badly until the surface rust has been wiped away by the pads.

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »

I think its all in the quality of the pads you have in the Jazz,
I have re placed mine with quality brake pads not the cheap one
Try to replace the disc a set of four
invest in quality pads not the cheap one like a set for 15 quid
try to use brands like ferodo
you wont get wrong.. :D

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
do you do you do checks on you car youself or let garage do it?
insist quality pads if you let garage do it :P

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »
So Honda UK fitted el cheapo pads to my Jazz when they built it and I have to take them out and fit Ferodo  :P

guest2958

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
Relax .... it's not a serious issue. Irritating I know, but all cars with disc brakes, front or back, will do this, regardless of the brand of pad, grade of steel, etc. Think of it as a design fault. Mr disc-brake-designer either lived in California where it doesn't rain, they don't put salt on the roads, and rust is a shade of brown rather than a corrosion problem or he thought that this occasional binding due to corrosion adhesion was a small price to pay for a better braking system.

There are a few things you can do to minimise the problem:
If you've just washed the car, move it once before you park it - it only needs to be a few feet, and then put it away 10 minutes later or so. This two stage movement helps with draining, drying, etc.
Because your car is so new, the pads haven't bedded in yet - particularly the rears which don't have a great deal of work to do. (I renewed front pads at 50K, rears at 95K) Once they're really smooth & shiny rust won't take hold so readily. It will tend to be more superficial and you won't get so much of a clunk when it frees off. A few good handbrake stops will help bedding in, but all the usual safety caveats apply.
Finally, as the dealer says if you've garaged it wet, leave it in gear, rather than on the handbrake. That will prevent it sticking.

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:50 AM »
Mr Disk-brake-designer was British - Jaguar, who first used them back in the '50's. When driving the pads sweep water off the disks. That and the heat of braking keep the disks working efficiently.

Wash your car and leave it standing and the disks will get surface rust on them. It's normal and very quickly rubs off when you use them.

Pads sticking to disks is also a normal occurence - worse in misty, cold, damp weather, or after you've washed the car.

It's nothing to worry about - but imagine how long the thin steel of the bodywork would last if it wasn't painted!

guest1583

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
 :D
Hi]
(to/re:7b)
    No its not time to relax at all, this concerns the brake which is concerns the safety of the motorists (is really serious one ) rear brake to the car overall braking system although much of the braking is being done by the front brake at least 40% is all done by the rear brake same as parking role for the car.

Another thing that matter if you havent experince it is that the qualty the materials say car parts really do matter from brake pads to disc etc it do really count.  I was oncelike you the manner of thinking a few years back, thinking a cheap substitute for car parts would save or thinking those parts are the same regardless of the cost, in reality its not.  In these days costs really equals the quality in most case.  If you want quality item material for material, then you have to spend more for it.

Yeah I did experienced rear brake sticking, what i have done is re placed the pads after thorough investigation bymyself and and a mechanic we did found out that the disc are still in good condition no rust whatsoever althogh the pads are relatively new I did doubt its quality in the first place so i did look for quality pads, the brake lining and cable are not rusted and the braking are balanced (with Ferodo brand) and aha it solve the problem simple as it is.

But in your case I suggest have it inspected by yourself or if not by some one capable and reliable, having your car brand new and came off Honda does not equate that all things would be good.  Mass produced cars unfortunately like our Jazz would in reality has a high percentage of parts failure like brake pads, lining or cable and etc. this does not mean Honda has poor quality control or build qualiity even sophisticated and executive branded car manufacturer and machines suffer as well.

So at the end it is still up to the owner to rectify those problem and be enthusiatic about it finding those problem just says that you really care for your car and bother for your safety.  Otherwise we will only care for our vehicle if its due for MOT test and let those garages and shops do their moneymaking and profit.

Tags: